Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times

Advertisements

Jane,

Seriously, I don't have enough time to go over well established sociological trends of the past 30 years. Over go over basic economic measure (PPI and PPP are completely separate and fairly unrelated indices). I have no idea where you're getting the inflation part, mostly because prices for day to day goods are based either on MSRPs or indices like the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the like and have remarkable little variation.

You've ignored quite a few people that have lamented (after much complaining might I add) that the lower COL doesn't make up for lower wages.

You haven't explained why poverty rates are significantly lower in generally high tax regions.

Small Area Income and Poverty Estimates - Data Visualization - U.S. Census Bureau

You haven't explained why high tax regions generally have higher disposable income (which btw already subtracts housing and basic goods basket commodities, whether that is chained or unchained CPI I don't think makes much of a difference).

Why food insecurity is generally vastly lower in high tax regions.

You just move the goal posts more. And again... I'm not saying that those other places to live can't be great places to live but this belief that everyone is richer in these places because of perceived lower COL is insulting to people that didn't have what you had: a luck of the draw birth in a wealthy area.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 AM

428 posts, read 831,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What makes them think Connecticut is less desirable than any of the places you mention. It is still the wealthiest state in the country,
Can you link to these statistics? I always seem Maryland and NJ listed as the richest states.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
...and you love snow....I get that too. Your attempting to say your perspective of the worse/colder/snowier winter up north is the only one...it's not.

Spin will not change the facts - CT does have 2 more weeks (at least) in fall and 2 more weeks (at least) in spring of better weather. Same with the nasty roads up there: Data shows that motorists are more likely to have an accident in bad weather (esp snow/ice) than at other times. That;s the facts, don't shoot the messenger. Same with sunshine, all areas on the East Coast from CT southward get more winter sunshine than the sunless New England states. Yes, maybe the Mts of north Georgia in/above Atlanta might not be green in a severe winter....but on average EVERYWHERE on the East Coast from Wilmington, NC southward had partial green trees/grass/palms...etc and much, much sunshine that New Hampshire ever will. You should get out of New England more - it might shock you

This was North Myrtle Beach, SC in January a few years ago...far greener and brighter(sunny) than it would ever be in the awful northern New England states at that time of year:

[/url]

The climate of Northern New England might be nice to some....but just as many find it quite nasty
SC is my favorite state but good weather or not Myrtle Beach is a really ugly place. CT's coast line is far more beautiful. Less useful for swimming I suppose due to the cold but superior or sailing and better looking naturally and architecturally- the housing on CT's coast is far far far superior to anywhere in South Carolina's coast save Charleston.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Great thanks for clearing that up, can we both just agree on one thing, CT sucks, and on that point, we both think the weather there is bad (but for different reasons) Enough about the weather tho, it is what it is and its only one bullet on a very long list of reasons why I dont like CT...
Well as the they say - I guess it is all perspective.

I agree CT might not be the best (or even in the top 10 states for me)...but "sucks" is a term I would use to describe New Hampshire (again from my perspective) much more than CT: In New Hampshire when you combine the poor real economic opportunities, rural character, far from any real cities, and then add in the always cloudy, cold, depressing weather, freezing cold unswimable ocean, and looooooog snowy winters = it's truly is a nightmare, for me at least.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Jane,

Seriously, I don't have enough time to go over well established sociological trends of the past 30 years. Over go over basic economic measure (PPI and PPP are completely separate and fairly unrelated indices). I have no idea where you're getting the inflation part, mostly because prices for day to day goods are based either on MSRPs or indices like the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the like and have remarkable little variation.

You've ignored quite a few people that have lamented (after much complaining might I add) that the lower COL doesn't make up for lower wages.

You haven't explained why poverty rates are significantly lower in generally high tax regions.

Small Area Income and Poverty Estimates - Data Visualization - U.S. Census Bureau

You haven't explained why high tax regions generally have higher disposable income (which btw already subtracts housing and basic goods basket commodities, whether that is chained or unchained CPI I don't think makes much of a difference).

Why food insecurity is generally vastly lower in high tax regions.

You just move the goal posts more. And again... I'm not saying that those other places to live can't be great places to live but this belief that everyone is richer in these places because of perceived lower COL is insulting to people that didn't have what you had: a luck of the draw birth in a wealthy area.
You talk the words right out of my mouth---- we are still waiting for real, tangible responses to these matters. As for equity locust, I'm not sure when the retail real estate business started to embrace--- but this is a complete colloquialism as it in intended for private equity/private transactions.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Sure there may be more diverse job options in CT then NH if your qualified for the available openings

but

NH unemployment rate: 5.1%
CT unemployment rate: 8.1%

If you want job diversity you can live in Southern, NH, work in Metro Boston, but then you have to deal with the traffic and you still get hammered with MA Income taxes.
Unemployment is probably not the most telling statistic. The USSR had a very low unemployment rate. Also FWIW, NYC has an unemployment rate comparable to CT (8.4%), yet remains the epicenter of wealth creation and economic opportunity.

CT has much better beaches, a vibrant long shoreline, and a huge advantage in economic opportunity and income potential. Yet for some reason NH trumps due to more snowy days and better snowmobiling? Try again kid.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Unemployment is probably not the most telling statistic. The USSR had a very low unemployment rate. Also FWIW, NYC has an unemployment rate comparable to CT (8.4%), yet remains the epicenter of wealth creation and economic opportunity.

CT has much better beaches, a vibrant long shoreline, and a huge advantage in economic opportunity and income potential. Yet for some reason NH trumps due to more snowy days and better snowmobiling? Try again kid.
What a goofy addition to an otherwise sensible post. When a state that basically the same economic system has a lower unemployment rate than yours it means something. Its not like USSR in which had a vastly different one. Not to mention NH income is not far behind CTs and demographically looks better for the future. I'd still pick CT all day everyday over NH myself, economics are only a minor concern of mine.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
What a goofy addition to an otherwise sensible post. When a state that basically the same economic system has a lower unemployment rate than yours it means something. Its not like USSR in which had a vastly different one. Not to mention NH income is not far behind CTs and demographically looks better for the future. I'd still pick CT all day everyday over NH myself, economics are only a minor concern of mine.
Median income is fairly close, but if you are above median--- the upper bounds of CT are in a different league. NH has far fewer wageearners in the >200k or $500k categories.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Median income is fairly close, but if you are above median--- the upper bounds of CT are in a different league. NH has far fewer wageearners in the >200k or $500k categories.

Yeah but I would bet a large majority of those people making that kind of bank are living in fairfield county and to afford a house there you need to with the average cost of a house down there.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
NH has a far smaller "welfare class" than Connecticut. Call it what you will, but our cities drive up the unemployment rate quite a bit.

For white collar professionals, I'd say Connecticut offers a stronger economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut