Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Too hot isn't too hot, if it's not accompanied by humidity. I'd love to live in Albuequerque NM - last time I was there it was 103 degrees and only 5% humidity (give or take).

I'd be okay with West Virginia too actually - more "moderate" temperatures than here, for a longer period of time. Humidity though - I can't stand it. Neither can my arthritis. Give me dry heat and my bones are virtually pain-free, even after a 3-hour horseback ride through the mountain trails.
Yea..N.M might be a good choice.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
As I have said before Connecticut is tax happy with no exemptions for seniors which I do not understand.I would say that the happy ones earn $50,000 or more which is the amount needed to live day to day.As I noticed from our home the driveways have 3 vehicles or so with adult children returning to home because of cost of living,our daughter and husband are in this boat and at some point we will have to help.
We with reservation have purchased a home in Enfield to return to spend remaining time with families.We were lucky to get home from estate where it was one owner and never flipped.It is an older home with natural gas and well up updated,windows and insulated.
We are flushing our tax money down the toilet since after 22 years in FL we have $72,000 in state and county exemptions and no taxes,as said Ct is regressive.Florida has S.O.H.,save our home which means a home cannot be assessed at more than 3 percent per year for tax purposes.
When I say cost kind of amusing to get Yankee Gas bill,$.70 for period after closing which with all the add on's was above $30.We spent a few months in home and probably will get another letter from CT to register our vehicle in state.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM

363 posts, read 635,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
People do not hate Connecticut. They are jealous of it.

Just like New York City.

Most people can't afford to live nicely in either place. Both are cultured and centers of education.

Connecticut is beautiful and expensive. And steeped in history.

It's easier to hate it, that to admit that you could not even own a simple cape cod style house there.

You know what I hate? The "Southernazation of the United States".
I live here in CT, and to each their own but I find nothing to be jealous of

Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
As I have said before Connecticut is tax happy with no exemptions for seniors which I do not understand.I would say that the happy ones earn $50,000 or more which is the amount needed to live day to day.As I noticed from our home the driveways have 3 vehicles or so with adult children returning to home because of cost of living,our daughter and husband are in this boat and at some point we will have to help.
We with reservation have purchased a home in Enfield to return to spend remaining time with families.We were lucky to get home from estate where it was one owner and never flipped.It is an older home with natural gas and well up updated,windows and insulated.
We are flushing our tax money down the toilet since after 22 years in FL we have $72,000 in state and county exemptions and no taxes,as said Ct is regressive.Florida has S.O.H.,save our home which means a home cannot be assessed at more than 3 percent per year for tax purposes.
When I say cost kind of amusing to get Yankee Gas bill,$.70 for period after closing which with all the add on's was above $30.We spent a few months in home and probably will get another letter from CT to register our vehicle in state.
Wow with an attitude like that, you should be grateful your families let you move back. If my parents came home to be with me, and all I heard was complaints about the expense, I'd buy them a ticket back to Florida and tell them I'll miss them.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecg123 View Post
I live in and am from Connecticut and I find it to be quite lovely with plenty of natural along with architectural beauty. I would never leave the Northeast/New England. Any activity you desire can be found within a couple hours. It has been wonderful growing up being able to take day trips to NYC, Boston, and even southern coastal Maine. Metro North is especially convenient for getting into NYC and brings you to the spectacular Grand Central Terminal which is a trip in itself......
Connecticut is awesome. Anyone who doesn't like it is either jealous or really couldn't be happy anywhere.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 PM

71 posts, read 179,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Lived in the south for 5 years...I find the people just as friendly/unfriendly as up here. So I dont get something.. What are you looking for people to do? Have block parties? Bake each other apple pies? heh...never got all that. I DO think people should be friendly and respond to a hello. What more are people looking for?
I have lived in both south and north... and there is a definite perceivable difference in the attitude and politeness you get when speaking to strangers or aquaintances. There are exceptions for both, but an interaction with a stranger in the north usually tends to be less pleasant than speaking with a stranger in the south. Interactions with southerners tend to be much more pleasant. Its not that people are looking for something more like block parties or apple pies... but talking to someone who is short, smug or bad attitude leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. While not a huge deal... having pleasant conversations with people throughout your day tends to leave you with more of a smile on your face rather than a frown. Bad attitudes are contagious... seems like its just a vicious cycle...

Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I don't find southerners to be friendly at all. Phony, yes. The women are gossipy and judgmental. They cater to men, in a slavish 1950s way.

And that "bless your heart" is the most phony phase I have ever heard.

I've never found Southerners to be particularly friendly.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwdmd View Post
I have lived in both south and north... and there is a definite perceivable difference in the attitude and politeness you get when speaking to strangers or aquaintances. There are exceptions for both, but an interaction with a stranger in the north usually tends to be less pleasant than speaking with a stranger in the south. Interactions with southerners tend to be much more pleasant. Its not that people are looking for something more like block parties or apple pies... but talking to someone who is short, smug or bad attitude leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. While not a huge deal... having pleasant conversations with people throughout your day tends to leave you with more of a smile on your face rather than a frown. Bad attitudes are contagious... seems like its just a vicious cycle...
Ok..but that was not my experience in the south. I had no bad experiences but also did not find people to be any friendlier. Maybe I wasn't looking for it.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Too hot isn't too hot, if it's not accompanied by humidity. I'd love to live in Albuequerque NM - last time I was there it was 103 degrees and only 5% humidity (give or take).

I'd be okay with West Virginia too actually - more "moderate" temperatures than here, for a longer period of time. Humidity though - I can't stand it. Neither can my arthritis. Give me dry heat and my bones are virtually pain-free, even after a 3-hour horseback ride through the mountain trails.
Boulder/Denver area.

Kinda like NM, less hot in summers, still mild winters (compared to here). It snows, but it's mostly melted by the middle of the day. 300+ days of sunshine. And unlike NM, you won't go bored out of your mind with a lack of culture/dining/shopping/etc and the populace is more educated. Plus there's an abundance of outdoors activities.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't find southerners to be friendly at all. Phony, yes. The women are gossipy and judgmental. They cater to men, in a slavish 1950s way.

And that "bless your heart" is the most phony phase I have ever heard.

I've never found Southerners to be particularly friendly.
Oh yea...when you hear "bless your heart" you know you've been dissed. Oh and how about this question "so what church do you belong to"? Like it matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut