Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I agree that CT has its faults. Drivers are dangerous and aggressive, taxes are high and people can be unfriendly. But CT also has amazing features. Beautiful small towns with a great quality of life, a population that is very well educated and great schools. It's probably one of the most expensive states but I really do love it here.
Does this put food on the table?It takes money to enjoy these perks!
If you are struggling to make ends meet does it matter?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Does this put food on the table?It takes money to enjoy these perks!
If you are struggling to make ends meet does it matter?
41 states have a higher poverty rate.

Sometimes people mix up "struggling to make ends meet" with "I wish taxes were lower so I could buy more toys, a bigger house or newer car..."

Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Connecticut.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:10 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Default Food Insecurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
41 states have a higher poverty rate.

Sometimes people mix up "struggling to make ends meet" with "I wish taxes were lower so I could buy more toys, a bigger house or newer car..."
Lest we keep patting one another on the back, preening with smugness:

"According to the latest U.S. Department of Agriculture report on hunger, the number of Connecticut households who say they don’t have a consistent, dependable supply of food has grown by nearly 6 percent since 2000 -- to 13.4 percent in 2012.

Only a handful of states, including Mississippi, Nevada and Missouri, had steeper hikes.

"... Food stamp recipients are more likely to live in big cities or very rural areas, but in Connecticut, Nolan said, there has been a growth of the (Food Stamp) program in the suburbs. 'That has to do with jobs,' she said. 'Last year Connecticut was the worst state in child poverty,' she noted, 'and the state also has the biggest gap between rich and poor..

source: Food insecurity in Connecticut increased | The CT Mirror

Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I grew up in Western Mass ... the cost of living there is a lot more, but also the pay is a lot more.

My husband went to CCSU and for the same job in CT as he is doing here he could easily make 20-25K more a year.

We are trying to move back to CT, and it's been a challenge, but CT is a nice place to raise a family.
Cites? Head to head comparisons, please. Just curious, since the positions for which recruitment is nationwide (such as Engineering and Technical Management; Specialty Engineering; F50 Directors and above; Nonprofit presidents) have a nationwide salary number. It's the same offer and terms, regardless of whether the candidate is from San Jose or Georgia.

Now, if the job you're talking about is paid with tax dollars - such as teachers and public sector civil service positions - I can see your point, although I'd still be curious about the source of the raw numbers. From the standpoint of public sector jobs, you'd increase your odds by looking in EVERY high tax state with a strong union tradition: CA, MA, RI, NJ, MI, Indiana, Wisconsin, as well as CT. All of these states, though, are experiencing population outflows and declining enrollments.

Maybe employment continuity trumps the pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow. Moving in anticipation of the lucrative tax-funded job could prove to be a long wait. Unless you have an "in", like the one that got the Hartford mayor's cronies' kids lucrative internships over the summer.

IMHO, even more public sector employees in CT? I don't see it happening without a ton of additional regulations over which to conduct "oversight". So, pray for more regulation!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
preening with smugness
Personal attacks are not necessary-- even if they are entertainingly hypocritical.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Cites? Head to head comparisons, please. Just curious, since the positions for which recruitment is nationwide (such as Engineering and Technical Management; Specialty Engineering; F50 Directors and above; Nonprofit presidents) have a nationwide salary number. It's the same offer and terms, regardless of whether the candidate is from San Jose or Georgia.
So you take a very small subset of jobs that are posted nationwide and say the exception to the rule proves your point? Every statistic shows that people here in Connecticut, on average, make more money. This also corroborates my own personal experience (in addition to the post you are being non-reponsive toward). On alternate Tuesdays in May during a lunar eclipse there is a an exception-- but in the real world, positions pay more money here.

And I've never worked in those public service positions you seem to despise. (Y'know those thieving Kindergarten teachers, police officers and fire fighters. Perhaps you think only private sector employees should earn enough money to raise a family?)

Lucrative tax funded jobs? My public-sector teacher relatives make about $60K with over 15 years classroom experience. HORRIFIC.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:28 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Jane,

So you're saying that it is actually harder to make ends meet in CT vis-a-vis... most other states?? I'm sorry but that dog don't hunt in general, and a 2% change in taxes doesn't make or break families in specific.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
The spelling is confusing.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
For jobs, I find the greater NYC area (so including at least the FFC part of CT) the best area in the country for securities industry related jobs.

A lot of demand for wanting to live in the area of course causes higher real estate prices. Businesses must charge more to cover ends meet on their end. Which then leads to higher costs on just about everything for consumers.

Cost of living is really my one big complaint in CT.

Otherwise it offers a lot in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut