Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 AM

47 posts, read 67,103 times

Advertisements

Hi
I have now moved to CT as I had mentioned in my other post. It has been 2 weeks now living in Ridgefield.

Am I happy... well generally yes but I am having to get used to a slower pace as compared to living in London, UK.

Thoughts so far:
Weather is good,
Apartment is fantastic,
Options for food such as grocery stores, etc are pretty good.
Not everything is cheap so we have been taking our time to purchase essentials for the home.
Got my SSN, now will attempt to get my CT Drivers License - as I have been driving for over 20yrs in UK I really hope that its a matter of presenting my ID, etc to the DMV and paying the fees to just get a CT license instead of having to take a knowledge test and driving test !! Going tomorrow - so will find out.

So far so good......
Jazz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzc01 View Post
Got my SSN, now will attempt to get my CT Drivers License - as I have been driving for over 20yrs in UK I really hope that its a matter of presenting my ID, etc to the DMV and paying the fees to just get a CT license instead of having to take a knowledge test and driving test !! Going tomorrow - so will find out.

So far so good......
Jazz
DMV is closed on Monday.

This is the information for non-resident license procedures: DMV: Driver's License - Non-US Citizen - Requirements.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 AM

47 posts, read 67,103 times
Thanks - saved me a wasted trip ...so I go on Tues.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Glad to hear you like it so far, it is always nice to get an update.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM

109 posts, read 161,075 times
Welcome to the US! Been here 15 years now.......

Be prepared to take the driving test, certain European countries are exempt but not the UK. I had to retake mine when I got here in MA, apparently they told me the UK test isn't of a high enough standard (biggest joke ever which you will realize when you take the US test, LOL!). The cop who did my test actually breathed a sigh of relief that he finally had someone who could drive that day......anyway we just drove round the block, stopped at a few stop signs and I think I parallel parked too, that was it......so don't worry if you have to take it!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzc01 View Post
Not everything is cheap so we have been taking our time to purchase essentials for the home.
Go to Ikea, save some money.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Go to Ikea, save some money.
No way.

Buy quality furniture that you wont have to replace in 18 months. Ikea furniture is cheap until you have to replace is every 2 years.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No way.

Buy quality furniture that you wont have to replace in 18 months. Ikea furniture is cheap until you have to replace is every 2 years.
Oh really? I have some pieces from Ikea that are 6 years old and still in perfect condition.

The days of Ikea being all particleboard furniture are over. I have solid wood furniture from Ikea (love the Hemnes line) that will last a long, long time.

Plus, for home essentials (cookware, dish towels, utensils, rugs, bedding, decor, etc) Ikea has great stuff for a very low price.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:10 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Oh really? I have some pieces from Ikea that are 6 years old and still in perfect condition.

The days of Ikea being all particleboard furniture are over. I have solid wood furniture from Ikea (love the Hemnes line) that will last a long, long time.

Plus, for home essentials (cookware, dish towels, utensils, rugs, bedding, decor, etc) Ikea has great stuff for a very low price.
You ought to put them in a museum. I've never heard of anything cheap from Ikea lasting that long...

The cheap stuff at Ikea is garbage, and if you spend real money there, you're better off going somewhere else.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You ought to put them in a museum. I've never heard of anything cheap from Ikea lasting that long...

The cheap stuff at Ikea is garbage, and if you spend real money there, you're better off going somewhere else.
Whatever. Opinions are like, well... you know.

I can vouch this stuff lasts:

HEMNES bedroom series - IKEA
HEMNES living room series - IKEA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut