Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 883 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a social work student at UConn, and I'm doing some research on the city of New Haven.

I'd like to get some feedback from New Haven residents about their city. Any relevant input would be much appreciated.

Some questions to consider:

1) What are the dominant community norms and values (ex: religion, cultural pride, etc.)

2) Are there conflicts among the community's major groups?

3) What evidence of discrimination and/or oppression is there?

4) What are the sources of power in the community (formal or informal) and how is power used (in negative or positive ways)?

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 06:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenGrace View Post
Hi, I'm a social work student at UConn, and I'm doing some research on the city of New Haven.

I'd like to get some feedback from New Haven residents about their city. Any relevant input would be much appreciated.

Some questions to consider:

1) What are the dominant community norms and values (ex: religion, cultural pride, etc.)

2) Are there conflicts among the community's major groups?

3) What evidence of discrimination and/or oppression is there?

4) What are the sources of power in the community (formal or informal) and how is power used (in negative or positive ways)?

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you!
1) The dominant community norms and values are pretty much the same as they are in any other small New England city.

2. No, there are no conflicts. We all drink from the same batch of Kool-aid.

#3 We can't tell you about any evidence of oppression - if we did, then that would be evidence that we're -not- oppressed. It's a trick question. Clever girl.

(4) There's hm - United Illuminating. It's used positively to light our world. Negatively, it's used to lower the temperatures in homes that have air conditioning in the summer.

My question to you: If a UConn Student fell in New Haven, would she still post bizarre questions on internet forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut