Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,654,623 times

Advertisements

Not sure about CT situation, but in upstate NY, even though Wegman's is NY based, they have an agreement with Price Chopper not to come upstate to the capital region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,380 times
We like Stew Leonard's for some things, Caraluzzis and Big Y for others. For us, Wegmans is a nice combination of many better attributes of each of these plus a few of its own. If we had one "goto place" it would be Wegman's...but it is a long drive from FFC/CT.

Based on where they are now, and their 'futures' list on their web site, CT is not in the cards for now. There must be a 'good reason' for this. Competition, cost of doing business, other?

Old 08-04-2013, 11:51 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Buying the same "crap" product twice in a row???? You can make your own opinion from THAT..
Given that the same product was still being produced and sold as new, i figured it couldn't possibly still be on the market if it performed as badly as the one that i initially purchased 3 years prior. Does that seem logical to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Sarcasm I hope.. as much as I like Amazon as well, there is no shortage of "crap" there either..
Amazon has what is severely lacking in brick and mortar stores today. Mid-range products. B&M's only seem to carry "low-end" and "high-end" merchandise.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:43 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,081,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Not sure about CT situation, but in upstate NY, even though Wegman's is NY based, they have an agreement with Price Chopper not to come upstate to the capital region.
Hmm...I believe there are antitrust laws against that sort of thing!

Old 08-04-2013, 04:43 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,190 times
I work at a Super Stop & Shop now. I have worked at a Big Y in my past. I have worked at a Walmart in my past. Pity me, right?

I was told that the Newington Walmart (store #2965) is getting ready to convert to a supercenter. They will use the space next door, which had been a Bassett Furniture store. It'll be interesting to see how this will impact Target and a nearby Price Chopper, both just off the Berlin Turnpike (US 5/CT 15) in the vicinity. As for the supercenter part, that really threw me. I'm pretty certain that the Cromwell Walmart just became a supercenter, or are damn close to that point.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
A huge, new, beautiful Walmart store has just been built and is about to open in Brooklyn, CT. It will create a few hundred jobs, which is great for that area of CT. I love Walmart and try to support them as much as possible. Luckily for me, there are two in Norwalk.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Walmart groceries are mostly packaged junk. Not exactly a good option to shop at if you want healthy, high quality food.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Walmart groceries are mostly packaged junk. Not exactly a good option to shop at if you want healthy, high quality food.
Well for food, yes, it's mostly junk. I rarely buy food from Walmart.

But for general purpose household goods, Walmart is pretty good and affordable. Even for some electronics. But I've been able to find plenty of decent items for the kitchen, bathroom and even some furniture there. It's a godsend for people like me who cant afford furniture from Ethan Allan or Raymour, which is unbelievably expensive for the average American. Ridiculous.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:29 PM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well for food, yes, it's mostly junk. I rarely buy food from Walmart.

But for general purpose household goods, Walmart is pretty good and affordable. Even for some electronics. But I've been able to find plenty of decent items for the kitchen, bathroom and even some furniture there. It's a godsend for people like me who cant afford furniture from Ethan Allan or Raymour, which is unbelievably expensive for the average American. Ridiculous.
It's a vicious cycle, because all the manufacturing jobs that companies like Walmart are sucking out of this country are killing the middle class.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It's a vicious cycle, because all the manufacturing jobs that companies like Walmart are sucking out of this country are killing the middle class.
The middle class is taking Walmart jobs at will though. Jobs don't have to be manufacturing jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut