Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

While the nation focused last month on Detroit going bankrupt, some interesting tales arose from three of Connecticut's major cities.

In New Haven, the leading candidate for mayor said voters shouldn't hold it against her because the family

business run by her late husband and now by her son owes more than $1 million in taxes and is the state's biggest tax scofflaw. She also denies that family properties include slums even though reporters found one that looks like a slum and smells that way too.

In Hartford, the mayor's former chief of staff turned in his city car but kept a set of keys so he could use it after leaving the city's employ. His departure was prompted by a gala New Year's Eve dinner, featuring the mayor and caviar, that he charged to one of the nation's poorer cities.

In Bridgeport, home to some of the state's worst schools, they're having a furious fight over whether the superintendent, a nationally known school reformer who has been superintendent in New Orleans, Chicago and Philadelphia, is qualified to be superintendent in the Athens of I-95.

The Day - Not as bad as Detroit, but not good | News from southeastern Connecticut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:54 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Detroit's problems are a result of the de-industrialization of America. Many such smaller communities have gone bust, but have not made the corporate media because that story is not "sensational" enough.
Any heavily-industrialized community needs to take note of how our industries are being transferred overseas, and being given incentives from our own government to do so.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:28 AM

66 posts, read 69,786 times
I think the problem Detroit in reducing a number of markets for the products of GM, Ford, Crysler. Detroit has set up the wheels on North America , it is clear that after this, the lack of demand for product(because the product is money - few people in the world is aware of this).
I dunno whether now learn companies South American or Asian market, but we have to rescue Detroit. While there is a road in the city and region, building( hospitals and schools , university and factories) of the City is alive. But need help all of America. Make the city attractive for investment-not only for automobile giants...? agree. ?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM

399 posts, read 851,227 times

Take Him To Detroit - YouTube

Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihaike View Post
I think the problem Detroit in reducing a number of markets for the products of GM, Ford, Crysler. Detroit has set up the wheels on North America , it is clear that after this, the lack of demand for product(because the product is money - few people in the world is aware of this).
I dunno whether now learn companies South American or Asian market, but we have to rescue Detroit. While there is a road in the city and region, building( hospitals and schools , university and factories) of the City is alive. But need help all of America. Make the city attractive for investment-not only for automobile giants...? agree. ?

Not at all. The US market is set to sell 15 million vehicles produced here, in 2013. Detroit lost massive market share, by ignoring the customer and not reigning production labor costs in soon enough, but it's market share loss went to transplants in the Southeastern US. The UAW's woes are not a problem for America, just for one state who failed to diversify its economy, MichiGONE.

Ct has massive pension woes-most bus mags rate it as amongst the 3 worst-terribly underfunded, and no leadership has emerged willing to LOSE elections to rightsize legacy obligations. But , despite Malloy's best efforts to mess it up, like 48 other states, Ct is still less troubled than MichiGONE.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 PM

66 posts, read 69,786 times
The US market is set to sell 15 million vehicles produced here, in 2013. Detroit lost massive market share, by ignoring the customer and not reigning production labor costs in soon enough, but it's market share loss went to transplants in the Southeastern US. The UAW's woes are not a problem for America, just for one state who failed to diversify its economy, MichiGONE.

Ct has massive pension woes-most bus mags rate it as amongst the 3 worst-terribly underfunded, and no leadership has emerged willing to LOSE elections to rightsize legacy obligations. But , despite Malloy's best efforts to mess it up, like 48 other states, Ct is still less troubled than MichiGONE.

Thanks for your sight inside, Bob.I agree with you - forgot that in the States-each region is economically independent of other subjects of the USA-it is well with my point of view( you know-in some countries called federations - all regions are economically dependent on the Federal center-I think is a bad idea) -but the case with Detroit reached the Federal importance. Maybe it's a coincidence, can it management mistakes, but it is not a secret that someone wants to see America divided and immersed in a civil war, not by chance, in Detroit rises national question. someone wants to gradually bring down the US economy - and do the same service currency-Euro...Maybe I'm wrong. But the CIA and the FBI should know about it-although I'm sure they know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut