Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 11,357 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for all of your responses. I've given up on that particular house, because I can't shake the idea of the contamination site right down the road. However, I did drive around the entire town over the weekend and I came across a beautiful section that I hadn't yet seen. I looked online and think it's called Millville, but I could be mistaken. It looked like a lovely neighborhood, with beautiful, large old homes all very well maintained. So while I can agree that this is definitely not Trumbull, I think there's some good to be had here if you look for it.

My whole reason for looking in Naugatuck was because it was something I could afford. I'm 25, single and don't make a ton of money so honestly my options in Connecticut are quite limited. To limit things even farther, I'm trying to avoid a mortgage all together. I know I could use the cash as a down payment with a traditional mortgage and get myself into a town I like more, but it's just not what I want to do at this point in my life. I thought I'd pick something up in cash and then keep it as an income property, getting a mortgage somewhere else down the line when I'm ready to settle down for good.

I thought Naugatuck could be a good "stepping stone", and I still think it has potential, but after these suggestions I am going to look in Seymour and Danbury to see what else is out there. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I still do not understand why you would want to live so far from your job. Your commute would be crazy. It is just not worth it IMHO. Danbury is much closer. I would strongly suggest looking there before Naugatuck. Jay

Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Yeah, if Wilton is a longterm commute for you, Danbury over Seymour easily.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
The first time I heard of Naugatuck was in middle school when one of my art teachers said she lived there. At that time I thought that was a very cool name. Actually, I still do. LOL

Nau-ga-tuck... love it! LOL

It thinks its how the last two syllables feel in the back of my mouth/tongue. Feels good...

Yes, I know, I'm weird! LOL

Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I am not sure how many of you remember the old TV show Maude. It was a spinoff of All in Family starring Bea Arthur. On the show her housekeeper's name was Mrs. Naugatuck. The creator of the show was Norman Lear who grew up in Hartford. He loved the name Naugatuck too and named the character after the town. Funny Naugatuck is an Indian word but the character was from England.

Also I am pretty sure the immitation leather fabric, Naugahide, was developed and made in Naugatuck. Jay

Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Single in Seymour is not a good idea. I'd check out Danbury some more.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:26 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Seymour is within driving distance to lots of nightlife if needed. NewHaven is a straight drive down 63 or main st./34

He's 25 he doesn't need to be hanging w/collage kids at the lake. Unless co-Ed's are still cool at 25.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,693 times
Default Naugatuck

I just came across this thread and I'm wondering where you ended up buying? I'm originally from Naugatuck but haven't lived there since 1979. I lived in the Millville area you mentioned and, you're right, there are beautiful houses there. I grew up in a Victorian house built in 1896. I also went to school at Hillside Middle and Naugatuck High School and I think I got a pretty good education but that was quite a few years ago.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:43 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Just to give a shout out Naugy is an awesone place.

I love Naugy. Great Chinese restaurant, few good bars, decent Thai place, few take out places, nice golf course, a few fancy eatery places, a Comedy Club, 3 decent gyms, great community town, decent School system, and so forth. Also great access to the outdoors and easy commuting town. Also simmer farmers market and festivals through the year.

Only downside is property taxes are in the middle and no movie theater. Be a great place for a movie theater.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:35 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Just to give a shout out Naugy is an awesone place.

I love Naugy. Great Chinese restaurant, few good bars, decent Thai place, few take out places, nice golf course, a few fancy eatery places, a Comedy Club, 3 decent gyms, great community town, decent School system, and so forth. Also great access to the outdoors and easy commuting town. Also simmer farmers market and festivals through the year.

Only downside is property taxes are in the middle and no movie theater. Be a great place for a movie theater.
Ditto this.
It's a very pretty walking town as well.

And friendly folks. Kind and down to earth, not at all pretentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut