Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 11,329 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm thinking about purchasing a home in Naugatuck but I'm not really sure what the town is like. I'm originally from Trumbull but Trumbull and surrounding areas are beyond my price range, so I've been looking elsewhere. I've found some homes in Naugatuck that I can afford and have taken a few drives down there to try to get a feel for the town but I figured it'd be best to ask people who know!

This house is about a mile away from Naugatuck State Forest, near Fairchild Park in Naugatuck. While driving around the neighborhoods I noticed a plant/factory called Chemtura which posted a big sign saying "Environmental Clean up in progress". I looked online and located a few articles about this, but it's unclear as to whats going on down there. Does anyone know the story behind this, and should this deter me from purchasing this home? I'm leaning towards moving on from this area, but I tend to make mountains out of molehills so any honest opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Chemical plant aside, how is the rest of the town?
thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
If you'll notice from searching on this forum, there's not a whole lot of people saying good things about Naugatuck. It's a pretty blue collar valley town without many appealing areas and underperforming schools. There's also not a lot in the way of amenities. Thus the reason for the affordable prices. I'm not sure about the chemical plant but I would look around online to see how big a deal that is - it's not a superfund site or something, I'm sure (I hope), but it may keep that area's real estate values depressed.

There's not a lot in the way of violent crime that I'm aware of, but there is quite a bit of domestic crime (spousal abuse, etc.) I would say the general impression is some what 'white trash'. No offense to anyone who is from there or lives there.

That said, sometimes a starter home is not going to be in the best area.

Not sure what your exact budget is, but maybe also check out Seymour and the parts of Derby outside the 'downtown'. I'd say they're a step up (and have a better chance of turning around.. some would say Seymour is already on the up).

All 3 towns are a pretty big step down from the affluent suburbia of a place like Trumbull, that you're used to - make sure you're aware of that.

Where do you work?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 AM

627 posts, read 1,057,719 times
I would be more concerned about the relatively close proximity of the sewage treatment plant. There have historically been complaints:

Sewage plant’s neighbors threatening to sue | Citizen's News

(Those people complaining are actually on the other side of the river.)

Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 11,329 times
Thank you both for responding. This has definitely been a huge help.

I did some research on the plant and it does seem to be listed as a superfund. The clean up though has been listed as completed and now the site is "ok" and contamination is "under control" but that doesn't sit so well with me. I suppose it explains the incredibly cheap price of the house...

Superfund Information Systems: Site Progress Profile

I work in Wilton, so I was prepared for an awful commute. But I was willing to travel for a decent home in a decent area, and that just doesn't seem to be what I'm setting myself up for here.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
How about Seymour? Much nicer town, better commute, still relatively affordable.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdecaro View Post
Thank you both for responding. This has definitely been a huge help.

I did some research on the plant and it does seem to be listed as a superfund. The clean up though has been listed as completed and now the site is "ok" and contamination is "under control" but that doesn't sit so well with me. I suppose it explains the incredibly cheap price of the house...

Superfund Information Systems: Site Progress Profile

I work in Wilton, so I was prepared for an awful commute. But I was willing to travel for a decent home in a decent area, and that just doesn't seem to be what I'm setting myself up for here.
I would NEVER recommend Naugatuck to someone who works in Wilton. The commute is going to be crazy.

Not knowing your budget it is hard to recommend somewhere but have you considered the Danbury area. IT is pretty affordable and it would be a lot easier to commute from. Check into Danbury itself if schools are not an issue (then again Naugatuck schools are not the greatest either) or towns like Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield and New Milford. These are much nicer towns and offer a wide range of housing options. Jay

Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Hi there,
how is the rest of the town?
thanks everyone!
It's a big old town that has changed a lot over the past 20-30 years. The parks & rec department and YMCA are good but nowhere near as wide as Wilton's; lots of civic organizations, sports leagues, a "real" Memorial Day Parade, a large active Portuguese Club, and an excellent community choir and marching band. The population has grown immensely and many walks of life reside there. The schools are a mixed bag, but plenty of kids go to excellent colleges. They've closed schools and reconfigured others enough times to send some young families packing, but that seems to have subsided. The high school is undergoing a huge renovation project and offers an impressive list of extracurriculars most notably in sports and music. The housing variety goes from Section 8 apartments to recently built 3700 square foot colonials with plenty of beautiful older homes - some well maintained, some converted to apartments. They have a big police department, paid fire department and a good street department. But there are lots of narrow hills so Naugatuck (like Waterbury) has a little more snow days than other towns.

Architecturally, Naugatuck is actually a hidden gem. The railroad station, several churches and banks, town center and the Tuttle house are gorgeous. Two schools (including one where three floors exit onto the same level), the library and post office were designed by McKim, Mead and White. The current high school project had a lot of support from the Historical Society so you can imagine how detailed the renovations will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
.. It's a pretty blue collar valley town without many appealing areas and underperforming schools. There's also not a lot in the way of amenities. ...

...there is quite a bit of domestic crime (spousal abuse, etc.) I would say the general impression is some what 'white trash'. No offense to anyone who is from there or lives there.

That said, sometimes a starter home is not going to be in the best area.

Not sure what your exact budget is, but maybe also check out Seymour and the parts of Derby outside the 'downtown'. I'd say they're a step up (and have a better chance of turning around.. some would say Seymour is already on the up).

All 3 towns are a pretty big step down from the affluent suburbia of a place like Trumbull, that you're used to - make sure you're aware of that.
- Agree it's a pretty blue collar town, but plenty of white collar professionals live there.
- There are just as many appealing areas as there are unappealing areas. I'll give appealing the upperhand.
- Not sure what your definition of amenities is but two large grocery stores, a few shopping plazas, multiple restaurants and takeout, a Super Walmart, countless gas stations and banks, three pharmacies (not including the ones in the grocery stores or Walmart), and several doctors and dentists office sound pretty convenient to me.
- As much as despise calling people trash, there's truth to what you're saying regarding Naugatuck. They are not the majority of Naugatuck but they exist. Basically Naugatuck went condo crazy back in the late 80s/early 90s developing several complexes with two bedroom townhouses which were nice, but not luxury nice. Eventually the affordability factor (and the need for owners to rent out their overpaid for units) brought families with 2-3 children, caused a spike in the school population, a rise in HUD housing, and left the older apartment complexes to become very shady places.
- Our first home was in Naugatuck hence knowing something about it.
- Seymour is a little bit better in that it's Naugatuck on a lesser scale. Seymour has lower socioeconomic residents but there are more professionals and middle class. Doesn't have as many amenities and it's not as "established", but it's a very good town. This is coming from someone who grew up in Seymour and couldn't wait to get out either.
- You are not kidding that any of these towns will seem a step down to OP. They don't offer as much and are nowhere near as well managed. Still, plenty of people from FFC have made the transition happily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
I would be more concerned about the relatively close proximity of the sewage treatment plant. There have historically been complaints:

Sewage plant’s neighbors threatening to sue | Citizen's News

(Those people complaining are actually on the other side of the river.)
I would drive by in the evening to see if it's a noticeable smell. I'm always driving that stretch of the highway and haven't noticed anything. It certainly has improved from years ago. Even ten years ago, you could still smell it at a certain time when the weather was just right for it. But I haven't heard anything (or smelled it while driving through) in the last couple years.

As for the commute, yes that will stink. But having said that, you'd be surprised how many people in Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugy and Prospect commute to Wilton or Stamford on a daily basis.

Now you know more than you care to know!

Old 08-10-2013, 02:30 PM

274 posts, read 518,414 times
Quote:
Hi there,
I'm thinking about purchasing a home in Naugatuck but I'm not really sure what the town is like. I'm originally from Trumbull but Trumbull and surrounding areas are beyond my price range, so I've been looking elsewhere. I've found some homes in Naugatuck that I can afford and have taken a few drives down there to try to get a feel for the town but I figured it'd be best to ask people who know!

This house is about a mile away from Naugatuck State Forest, near Fairchild Park in Naugatuck. While driving around the neighborhoods I noticed a plant/factory called Chemtura which posted a big sign saying "Environmental Clean up in progress". I looked online and located a few articles about this, but it's unclear as to whats going on down there. Does anyone know the story behind this, and should this deter me from purchasing this home? I'm leaning towards moving on from this area, but I tend to make mountains out of molehills so any honest opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Chemical plant aside, how is the rest of the town?
thanks everyone!

Houses in that part of town should be cheap since they're downhill from the old toxic waste dump.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
Wow.. Having been raised in Trumbull ..and living in Seymour now for 8 yrs, I can say :no it is not Trumbull, but it is NOT a huge astronomical step down. My brother and his family also live here. It actually has a few quite affluent areas. My late husband regularly commuted to Stamford. He had an MBA; I have an MBA. All of my neighbors are white collar professional families. When I moved here the Board of Selectman wasn't into much of any modernization . That has begun to change. I am NOT surrounded by any "lesser intellects" if that was what was implied.

Naugatuck has improved too, but a little slower. As noted the major factories are closed. Housing stock is slowly turning over, and they are not being bought by rubes, ruffians, or the like.

Most new valley purchases (by my observation) are fiscally responsible people who decide that a status neighborhood in Ffld county isn't worth the lifelong crushing indebtedness.

Good luck to the OP; if you choose to move to the valley it won't be a lifelong downgrade. So no worries.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:07 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
Another vote for Seymour over Naugatuck, but I also like Jay's suggestion of Danbury and the surrounding area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut