Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,917 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on how OP defines biking and defines downtown. Unless you're in a city, I don't think many places offer vast amounts of developed land for biking purposes.

Similarly, I think OP has to decide on specifics - CT homes that fit the $300k budget with 3BR are mostly older and will probably require elbowgrease. Sadly, that bumps the well-regarded and aforementioned Milford out of the equation, in my opinion. I don't know Madison or Guilford that well, but I think the cost vs. starter-home issue holds true against those towns, too.

One crazy idea is to maybe look into Stratford. It has a population of 50,000 and I am seeing homes in my neighborhood (near Paradise Green) go up for around $280-$290k. Downtown is OK, but I think Paradise Green is the "true" downtown since it has a more charming feel to it. However, the homes here are older from the 1950's-1970's, and the schools are average at best. Also, the degree of bike-ability is no different than other towns, in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I am an alum of one of the Stratford high schools, so things can't be THAT bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
I would like to add the possible of East Lyme. Lovely town, great schools and if you are looking for an investment property you could look at Niantic (summer rentals) also Niantic (village of East Lyme) is very cute. Not sure what $300K will get you down there.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoermann View Post
I need a little guidance on finding just the right spot for us in CT. We have made a couple trips and haven't quite found the right thing. We currently live in Upstate NY and are not happy with the "struggling" economy and feeling that brings.

Here are the details:

Looking for a town with 30-60,000 population.
Active, "cute", walkable downtown and bikeable town and neighborhoods.
We are self employed and can work anywhere.
We have 3 school age children...so good schools are desired.
Need a 3-4 bedroom home around $300,000.
We would like to purchase investment/income properties also.

Our findings so far:

Glastonbury: like it a lot...not quite enough of a walkable downtown.
West Hartford: like it a lot...a little too busy and not really bikeable neighborhoods.
Simsbury: not a good match
Mystic: love it...afraid if might be too quiet in the off season
Essex: cute but too small
Middletown: downtown has potential...but not the right match

Thanks!!
A bit surprised that you didn't like Simsbury...that would have been my vote...although your housing budget would be stretched. This town is the only one to receive the bike-friendly designation in CT:

Bike Walk Simsbury, CT

Also, it's not as busy as West Hartford, has some of the best schools in the state, a nice walkable center with entertainment & dining, plus easy access to an airport. You didn't mention the latter as a criterion, but if it's important, just be aware that this will be an issue with any of the coastal CT communities.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM

20 posts, read 38,523 times
Yes, got it! Thank you.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
A bit surprised that you didn't like Simsbury...that would have been my vote...although your housing budget would be stretched. This town is the only one to receive the bike-friendly designation in CT:

Bike Walk Simsbury, CT

Also, it's not as busy as West Hartford, has some of the best schools in the state, a nice walkable center with entertainment & dining, plus easy access to an airport. You didn't mention the latter as a criterion, but if it's important, just be aware that this will be an issue with any of the coastal CT communities.
I am guessing they found Simsbury to be too rural in character. Like I said the OP is going to need to prioritize what they want. West Hartford is too busy, Glastonbury not big enough? There really is nothing in between anywhere in the state really. To have that density you need for a real downtown you will have traffic. That is true anywhere. Jay

Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM

642 posts, read 858,919 times
I am not sure of the kind of biking you want but there is a really nice paved bike trail in my area. Here is a list of some of the best bike trails in CT. #5 Monroe and #4 Trumbull are actually one long trail and they hook up. This bike (and walking) trail starts on the bottom of Church Hill Road in Trumbull and goes all the way to Newtown. Along the way the bike trail pases through some very nice parks in Trumbull and Monroe. People come from all over CT to use this bike trail and I am pretty sure you don't need a permit to park in the Church Hill Road parking lot in Trumbull. If you bought a house in Shelton or the northern part of Stratford (or other towns) I am pretty sure you can come use the bike trail and park in Trumbull's parking lot.

Explore Connecticut: Top 5 Paved Bike Trails in Connecticut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut