Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 84,169 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at what has been termed "cluster housing" or free standing condos in Fairfield County and western New Haven County. (Traditions in Southbury, Great Oak Farm in Monroe are typical.)

Does anybody have any experience living in these types of developments? Are they too restrictive? Will they hold their value compared to "standard" single family housing? The neighborhood feel is appealing, but maybe too close.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM

575 posts, read 3,131,538 times
I think pretty much most things on the outside will be restricted to have a more uniform appearance. Like no garden sheds, can't paint the front door a different color, no lawn ornaments, etc. You will have to get a book of the by-laws for the place to understand what is not allowed. Inside you have free range pretty much.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:56 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Nothing holds its value in real estate like a single-family home on its own lot. Jay

Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
I think pretty much most things on the outside will be restricted to have a more uniform appearance. Like no garden sheds, can't paint the front door a different color, no lawn ornaments, etc. You will have to get a book of the by-laws for the place to understand what is not allowed. Inside you have free range pretty much.
Yes - I read some extracts of the by-laws from two of the places. Some sound more restrictive than others.

Can someone who actually lives in such a development provide any insight?

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
I live in a Condo complex in Phoenix. It is a upscale complex with 6 buildings each having 12 condos. The problem with these condos is that the sound insulation isn't the greatest. Even though I own my condo, I still have to watch my noise if I have a party or want to crack up the sound system for a movie. The HOA will fine me if I am too loud!!!

Another thing is parking! This community is so strict that I can't park in guest parking! My girl friend got towed because she "visted me" more than 30 times in a year. Amazing! There are little things that make me mad to no end. My condo is on the market and I plan on buying a condo in a high rise where there is concrete construction and not wood construction.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:32 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,645 times
I have friends that live in Great Oak Farm in Monroe. There is high turnover rate of families moving in and out, but it's really popular with young families and those looking to retire. A lot of people from cities to the south of Monroe (like Norwalk/Stamford/NYC) looking for a more rural location move to Great Oak Farm, the small size of the lots don't disturb them as much as it might others more used to "country" living. You will not have to worry about your home not appreciating, since they are still desirable to many. That said, the homes do have a lot of problems with them, considering they are still pretty new. My friends had to replace their roof after they moved in, because of inadequate ventilation. The home was only 3 years old. They have lived there 10 years now, and the walls are cracking, the plumbing has issues, etc. This began the moment they moved in when the home was nearly new. I've heard some people actually say that is normal in a new home, but it is not. Also, their home actually had no trimwork around the doors, windows, or flooring because the original owner did not want to pay for the trimwork, it was optional. And any renovating they do to their home at Great Oak Farm requires approval by the association, too.

But for someone looking for neighbors close by, with little lawn maintenance, cluster housing really are a good option, as long as the homes are solidly built. To be honest though, my friends have said they regret not buying a "traditional" home.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
I have friends that live in Great Oak Farm in Monroe. There is high turnover rate of families moving in and out, but it's really popular with young families and those looking to retire. A lot of people from cities to the south of Monroe (like Norwalk/Stamford/NYC) looking for a more rural location move to Great Oak Farm, the small size of the lots don't disturb them as much as it might others more used to "country" living. You will not have to worry about your home not appreciating, since they are still desirable to many. That said, the homes do have a lot of problems with them, considering they are still pretty new. My friends had to replace their roof after they moved in, because of inadequate ventilation. The home was only 3 years old. They have lived there 10 years now, and the walls are cracking, the plumbing has issues, etc. This began the moment they moved in when the home was nearly new. I've heard some people actually say that is normal in a new home, but it is not. Also, their home actually had no trimwork around the doors, windows, or flooring because the original owner did not want to pay for the trimwork, it was optional. And any renovating they do to their home at Great Oak Farm requires approval by the association, too.

But for someone looking for neighbors close by, with little lawn maintenance, cluster housing really are a good option, as long as the homes are solidly built. To be honest though, my friends have said they regret not buying a "traditional" home.

Interesting background. I appreciate the insite.

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPVP View Post
We have been looking at what has been termed "cluster housing" or free standing condos in Fairfield County and western New Haven County. (Traditions in Southbury, Great Oak Farm in Monroe are typical.)

Does anybody have any experience living in these types of developments? Are they too restrictive? Will they hold their value compared to "standard" single family housing? The neighborhood feel is appealing, but maybe too close.
I think that cluster housing can offer a wonderful lifestyle for those looking at mostly "maintenance-free" living--at least with the upkeep of their house. Also, if cluster housing is built with exceptionally high-end materials, and is located in a high-end neighborhood or area, the homes will continue to gain appreciation.
But, if I had to choose, I'd pick a regular single family, free standing home in a nice neighborhood anyday.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:58 PM

51 posts, read 222,731 times
CLuster housing looks great from the curb and offers some familys a good living situation.,..but as others have stated.....many of these forms of building though up to the town or city code where they are built are not very soundly made.....and noise...and walk through foot sounds are common. Therefore you'd need to be a quiet family to really enjoy this form of living. Many are very restrictive about decorations for the Holidays ..and even flags on the 4th of July....I know of a one person that purchased two small bdogs for company after her husband passed away......they barked out of the living room window...and even with the windows closed sound escaped and she was fined and told that if it continued she'd have to get rid of them. If your considering this sort of living because of a temporary move..or retirement it'll work...but if you have growing kids or pets or do like to rock out or have a barbacue once in awhile...get yourself a house.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,297 times
My family and I have lived in Great Oak Farm for some time now and we absolutely love it here. If lot size is your most important criteria, it might not be the right neighborhood for you. However we like having the smaller lot, and we’ve enjoyed meeting many of our neighbors. In fact, that is what we like best is the strong sense of community, with kids playing in the streets and regular community events. Also, walking trails from the neighborhood lead to nearby Wolfe Park and Great Hallow Lake which we use regularly when the weather is nice.

Yes, there are community by-laws that require board approval for major modifications to your house but we don’t find them too restrictive. You can put any ornaments you want in your yard (come by at Halloween, it’s quite a sight) and can paint your door, you can have dogs, etc.

We were looking to join a great 'community' and this has exceeded our expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut