Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 17,720 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are planning to move to Milford from NYC early next year.
We would like to buy a small single family home preferably near the water.
Thanks to the very informative threads, I now know that Woodmond is considered
to be the nicest neighborhood and Davon/ Walnut is the least desirable area.

We actually drove up to Milford yesterday to check out the neighborhoods.
Woodmond seemed nice like everyone says but Devon did not seem sketchy or dumpy
as it has been described on this forum. It seemed like a small nice neighborhood to me.
We drove around south side of Milford Point Road because we would like to be close to the water.
Did it look nice and lively only because it's beach season right now? Did I miss something?
I'm a little confused! I would appreciate if someone could give me any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 PM

222 posts, read 413,399 times
HI. I only know from my sister in law living there. The thing about Devon/Walnut beach is that there is a big difference depending how close you get to the water, and also street by street. She lived in WB and it was cute and friendly, but once you got about 6-7 houses off the water the houses were tiny and a tad ramshackle at times. I"m surprised no one has mentioned Laurel Beach. It is a private (but not gated) area adjacent to Walnut Beach and its very nice, including lots of neighborhood activities and a 'residents only' beach area. If you go on Zillow.com I think you can pull up Laurel Beach, its the streets with the numbered avenues...

good luck!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 PM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Milford Point Road is very nice. All of Laurel Beach is nice. Rivercliff is nice. Those make up a minority of Devon though. The parts that are shady/dumpy are mainly around Naugatuck Ave. Walnut Beach is improving but still has a little ways to go, there's still an element of shadiness is there - but some cute shops/stores have opened recently.

I would not mind living in the Laurel Beach area, but I like the other side of town a lot more. It's one thing to have your own isolated nice area, and another to be in a nice area that meets other nice areas all the way to downtown. It makes it feel much more "whole" as a place to live. Also, the high school is a bit better on the eastern side of town if schools are an issue.

Keep in mind, Devon isn't super dangerous or anything. It's just no Woodmont.

Also, I'd argue Woodmont being the nicest area. It's one of the most charming waterfront areas in town, but the whole Gulf Street area, Morningside, north and south of the green, some parts of north Milford, etc. are just as "nice". Woodmont is my personal favorite though, my dream is to own one of those renovated waterfront homes.

Last edited by Stylo; 08-12-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 PM

140 posts, read 259,350 times
I agree with what Stylo says. You should definitely check out the Laurel Beach neighborhood which is not down the street from the Walnut Beach neighborhood. Rivercliff is a nice section of Devon too, but for beach purposes Laurel Beach would be better. Walnut Beach isn't nearly as bad as other parts of Devon, such as those along Naugatuck Avenue. Walnut Beach has a few spots here and there that are not kept up well, but if you feel comfortable with a spot, then go for it.

And all of Milford is pretty safe, even the run down areas in Devon. They are just not as aesthetically appealing. Other areas that are very nice in Milford as well are Woodmont (like you mentioned), Gulf Beach, Bayview, South of the Green, Fort Trumbull, and Morningside. My personal favorite is Woodmont, which may sound biased since I live there. But I'd say the Gulf Beach/Bayview area as well as Morningside are also on par with it. Plus the other areas I mentioned are up there too.

I think wherever you can afford, but feel comfortable is where you should go. You'll love Milford and all it has to offer. Milford is a very nice family oriented place, plus it is full of great restaurants and shopping. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Thank you so much guys! Those huge houses by the coast in Laurel Beach area look gorgeous! Unfortunately, they are way out of our budget LOL!
This will be our first home and we don't have children so we will be happy with a small starter home We've been living in a small 1BR apartment in Manhattan
past 10 years so even a tiny house will be an upgrade for us! I will definitely check out the suggested neighborhoods. We have checked other small coastal towns
but Milford seems to be the best fit for us. We really cannot wait to move!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:40 PM

I hope you don't have to commute to NYC.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:05 PM

I will be able able to work remotely but my husband will have to go to NYC 2~3 times a week.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm202 View Post
I will be able able to work remotely but my husband will have to go to NYC 2~3 times a week.
That's not too bad. Hopefully his office is near GCT?

I would recommend being as close to the train station as possible.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM

547 posts, read 774,848 times
What is your budget? You maybe able to get a place closer to the Milford train station...

Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times
Just choose wisely... I myself like Woodmont a lot. But theres things you need to watch out for...

Im just saying, these areas are really nice and "Oh my the beach is beautiful"... But youve been living in Manhattan for 10 years and this probably didnt cross your mind when you were dead set on moving here..

Just a warning. The whole shore you mention is at potential danger with hurricanes... We may be more prepared now because weve had two hurricanes that hit us hard. Theres no controlling the weather so just be smart about where exactly you want to live. Those pictures are nothing compared to what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut