Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 08:19 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut is now 2nd most tax burdened state we beat New Jersey but trailing behind New York by 0.1%
Malloy will be disappointed not to take 1st place.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:25 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
https://ctmirror.org/2018/03/05/plan...s-persuasions/

I did like one of the comments below the article which talks about an open debate before the elections.
It would be important to know where they stand before November.
This is the biggest reason why I think my former FS Tim Herbst (R) would make a good Governor. Tim Herbst's mom and dad are teachers so he will tackle the pension problem thoughtfully and not like a Wall Street guy with a meat clever. We had the same problem in Trumbull with our pensions of not being funded properly either.

So what Tim Herbst did was start to fund the pension fund more and then he changed the town pension system to one where the town employee contributes to his/her own pension I think partly or maybe even fully.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The turnout stats I quoted are from the Governor's election year of 2014. Bridgeport had plenty of ballots for that year.

Bridgeport ran out of ballots in the 2016 election year which included the Presidential race. Presidential races always have higher turnout rates. CT state wide turnout for 2016 was 76.94%

Ballots are also secure and have to be delivered by the state. It was their problem. If a city receives 20,000 ballots they have to turn in 20,000 ballots. For example, if you make a mistake on a ballot that ballot is not thrown in the trash. They put it in a separate container because it still has to be accounted for.

All the election stats you could ever want are here and available for free

Election Results
Bpt. ran out in 2010 too. Took 56 hours that year to count the votes. That was not a presidential election.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 PM

413 posts, read 317,391 times
[quote=CTartist;51216032]?????

"Morrenhof said he’s looking forward to making his own move now that the search has been narrowed down to the little state between Boston and New York. He said he thinks he will chose Hartford, New Haven or Stamford.

“It’s amazing over the last 48 hours I’m in Connecticut how many people are really helping out already and saying, ‘This is a great state, you really have to go here,’” he said. “I’m really impressed.”

"Last year, the inaugural VentureClash offered $5 million in prizes to six companies, four of which went on to sign deals and open offices in the state."

Yo

Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 PM

413 posts, read 317,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
?????

"Morrenhof said he’s looking forward to making his own move now that the search has been narrowed down to the little state between Boston and New York. He said he thinks he will chose Hartford, New Haven or Stamford.

“It’s amazing over the last 48 hours I’m in Connecticut how many people are really helping out already and saying, ‘This is a great state, you really have to go here,’” he said. “I’m really impressed.”

"Last year, the inaugural VentureClash offered $5 million in prizes to six companies, four of which went on to sign deals and open offices in the state."

You Republicans love to focus on the negative.
Guess some folks are still in denial. Millions of free dollars and Connecticut is too odorous. Why?

Old 03-05-2018, 10:01 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
State budget reduction in state aid money to cities and towns have New Haven mayor recommended a 4.30-mill increase in the tax rate to 42.98 mills which is 11 percent jump. New haven current mill rate is 38.68 which is less than Bridgeport 54.37, Waterbury 60.21, Hartford 74.29.

https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti...e-12724363.php

Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 AM

486 posts, read 516,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
State budget reduction in state aid money to cities and towns have New Haven mayor recommended a 4.30-mill increase in the tax rate to 42.98 mills which is 11 percent jump. New haven current mill rate is 38.68 which is less than Bridgeport 54.37, Waterbury 60.21, Hartford 74.29.

https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti...e-12724363.php
I feel like this is one factor that many people don't realize is as bad as this. I live in western mass currently, but have considered moving to the Hartford area because I work there.. so I spend most of my day in the state.

I was curious about trends on mill rates, so I looked at the data with the state from 2013 to 2018. I looked at 6 towns around Hartford, Avon, East Granby, Granby, Simsbury, South Windsor, and Suffield. Of those six towns the average annual increase in the mill rate was 4.1% per year over that 6 year time span. Compared to a few towns in Western Mass which have seen Mill rates increase by an average of 0.81% per year over the same time period.

If this pace continues, how will retirees ever be able to afford to stay in this state? Those on fixed incomes who are not already wealthy will rapidly be priced out by taxes on their homes. Poor people will be similarly hurt.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:12 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why? I don’t blindly follow the far-right, greedy big-business puppets that sadly dominate today’s Republican Party. I prefer a more middle-of-the-road approach and hope someday the party will return to the values and roots of Reagan and Eisenhower. I won’t give up. I will still criticize the party and point out it’s faults and errors. I not only do this here but let the party’s leadership know it too. Jay
My husband is a Republican like you. The problem is things are so hyper partisan that people like you, my husband and me (a centrist) are not recognized by most people. Politics now is so back and white. It's kind of like " if your are not with my party 100% and don't think like me 100% you are not a Republican or Democrat.

I am thinking a lot of posters on here don't even know a time when the congress was made up of a lot of Republicans and Democrats that leaned to the center. Many people don't understand that concept.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:44 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
My husband is a Republican like you. The problem is things are so hyper partisan that people like you, my husband and me (a centrist) are not recognized by most people. Politics now is so back and white. It's kind of like " if your are not with my party 100% and don't think like me 100% you are not a Republican or Democrat.

I am thinking a lot of posters on here don't even know a time when the congress was made up of a lot of Republicans and Democrats that leaned to the center. Many people don't understand that concept.
This is so sad but true. The Republican Party got taken over by Tea Party people, ultra-right wing conservatives and big business these days which is sad. We are learning the hard way why this just won't work. I truly believe that if the Connecticut Republicans had run a more middle-of-the-road candidate instead of Tom Foley, Malloy would have lost the election 4 years ago. Instead, Malloy won by an even bigger margin than he won in the previous election. I hope the party learned from that but sadly I think they did not. Jay

Old 03-06-2018, 05:41 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I feel like this is one factor that many people don't realize is as bad as this. I live in western mass currently, but have considered moving to the Hartford area because I work there.. so I spend most of my day in the state.

I was curious about trends on mill rates, so I looked at the data with the state from 2013 to 2018. I looked at 6 towns around Hartford, Avon, East Granby, Granby, Simsbury, South Windsor, and Suffield. Of those six towns the average annual increase in the mill rate was 4.1% per year over that 6 year time span. Compared to a few towns in Western Mass which have seen Mill rates increase by an average of 0.81% per year over the same time period.

If this pace continues, how will retirees ever be able to afford to stay in this state? Those on fixed incomes who are not already wealthy will rapidly be priced out by taxes on their homes. Poor people will be similarly hurt.

Mill rates are a poor way to compare tax rates. At the min you would also have to know the increase/decrease of the towns grand list (aka taxable property) my town tells us the change in the grand list each year on the annual budget sheet they send out. I would assume most CT towns do the same.

A town already knows how much money it needs to operate. They only have to tweak the side of the equation to get to their budget number.

it would be x + y = z as long as you know 2 of the values you can solve for the 3rd value.

There are also other issues such as inflation, reimbursements by the state, property tax cap in MA, towns responsibilities vs state responsibilities (such as paving roads), among others.

Comparing mill rates in CT to other towns in CT would make a lot more sense since the baseline parameters among the CT towns are mostly equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut