Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 10:09 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
American citizen jobs, or H1B visa jobs?
Does it really matter? Would you rather they located the center in another state? Because they could have easily done that instead. Jay

Old 03-15-2018, 10:18 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Don't forget that Conn Light and Power layed off its entire IT staff and replaced them with H1B workers. Those workers had to train their replacements and sign non disclosure agreements (i.e. non disparaging)

https://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/ne...-1b-visa-abuse

"Recent reports claim that Eversource contracted with two offshore outsourcing firms to bring in foreign workers through the H-1B visa program to replace 200 American information technology workers fired in Connecticut and Massachusetts in 2014. Reports claim that the American workers were forced to train their replacements and were required to remain silent about their treatment."

This nugget of info should never be forgotten.

<snip>

I don't trust this company or this deal and we're going to find out sooner or later if I'm correct.

Lego did the same thing with their collections department a few years ago, although I think they hired Mexicans. Same thing where they couldn't talk about it and had to train their replacements.

I completely agree with your statements.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I worked at a company before that was bringing in H1B's to do entry level accounting. There is no shortage of accounting graduates, so I don't know how they got away with this. Also, when Indians become managers they are more likely to hire fellow Indians, I have seen this first hand.
There is a loophole in the H-1B law. A company can't replace US citizens with H-1B employees. There is nothing from stopping them from replacing a US citizen with a contractor. The visa status of the contractor doesn't matter. It's why Infosys, Tata, et al exist in the first place. They exploit that loophole and get 20% off the top as administrative expense. When they make their sales pitch to a US corporate CFO, it's all about how much overhead money the corporation can save by using Indian H-1B contractors. Fully burdened cost, it's usually about 60 cents on the dollar and they can flush contractors at any time without it impacting their state unemployment compensation rates.

From where I sit, it's really evil. I do business with the large cable companies. Huge chunks of US citizens have been flushed in the last decade and replaced with Infosys contractors. They tend to be the low level people doing repetitive task IT and QA who can't easily find their next job. It causes real hardship.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:37 AM

486 posts, read 516,648 times
I especially find it onerous because the H1B visa workers are glorified indentured servants. They are in the US at the behest of their employer, with an agreement that can be revoked at any time.. forcing them back home ASAP. They cannot get a green card unless sponsored by their company.

So they are willing to work longer hours, take more abuse from employers, etc out of fear of losing their opportunity.

Just like illegal immigrants in the construction industry.. this is a form of modern day union busting.. except the "union" are american workers who have an expectation of certain standards in employment.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:22 PM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Does it really matter? Would you rather they located the center in another state? Because they could have easily done that instead. Jay
Yeah it matters. CT tax payers are kicking in millions and we all know this will supply more cheap labor to rest of state, further suppressing wages overall. We need companies competing from existing pool not constantly bringing in Infosys to undermine everyone else. I thought Trump was going to stop this nonsense.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:16 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Yeah it matters. CT tax payers are kicking in millions and we all know this will supply more cheap labor to rest of state, further suppressing wages overall. We need companies competing from existing pool not constantly bringing in Infosys to undermine everyone else. I thought Trump was going to stop this nonsense.
You must be kidding me. Jobs are jobs and these are well paying. In case you forgot, this is a country built by immigrants and the world is a lot smaller than it was 50 years ago whether we like it or not. Jay

Old 03-16-2018, 05:38 AM

377 posts, read 241,101 times
Quote:
You must be kidding me. Jobs are jobs and these are well paying. In case you forgot, this is a country built by immigrants and the world is a lot smaller than it was 50 years ago whether we like it or not. Jay

A more accurate statement might be that the country was built by the descendants of immigrants. Since 1850,( when formal record keeping began ) the maximum percentage of immigrants of the total population of the United Sates has been less than 15 % at any one time.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 AM

538 posts, read 331,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post

The article says:

"The jobs are expected to pay average annual salaries of at least $70,000, the governor’s office said. While a specific location hasn’t been selected yet, company and state officials said it would be in Hartford."

Those are good paying jobs coming to the state.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Jay,

I am first generation Irish. I am well aware of the history of immigration in this country. H1B is not immigration. It is temporary sponsored workship. Why does this always get confused? Can H1B status lead to citizenship? Yes but complete separate and arduous process. This is modern indentured servitude, as someone mentioned. The difference is also that these are not immigrants working on railroad to build this country but desperate skilled foreigners competing against college grads and established working citizens who have spent sometimes 150k in education to land a good paying job. People wonder why wages have not gone anywhere in decades? Here is part of it.

It is somewhat positive. I will concede that given the anti H1B rhetoric from Trump, places like Infosys are on a political crusade to make it appear like they are open to American workers. They will sprinkle in some Caucasian American (mostly), African American and Chinese American workers to show face of diversity but their main purpose is providing cheap Indian labor.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
"The jobs are expected to pay average annual salaries of at least $70,000

Those are good paying jobs coming to the state.
70k for a tech worker is good? Good for Aetna maybe. After taxes, health, 401k, you might clear $3500 a month. Rent takes half that in decent place. Food, gas, car, utilities etc..sorry no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut