Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:23 AM

33,994 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The 5k was factoring income tax, as I mentioned.

As for services - excellent. Garbage pickup twice a week, good schools, beautiful and well kept roadways/medians. You should check it out sometime. You would be surprised.
I am familiar and that area is drop dead gorgeous. Quite affluent. Affluent areas nationally = educated parents = parents who will not put up with poor school systems.

In the last few decades, we have seen the pattern hold. Tell me the baby boomer parents level of education, and their children's level will be similar -perhaps slightly better. It creates gigantic differentials in quality of school systems in cities and towns that are neighbors. That differential holds in all states, including Ct.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:28 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Yes, here we go again. As I stated, FL taxes are far less than the AVERAGE town in CT. You conveniently chose to compare using the community known to have the lowest taxes in the state to Coral Gables, which has the highest tax rate in Miami Dade. It is an extreme, unfair comparison and very misleading. Try again, this time using Glastonbury or Woodbridge.
I am comparing taxes in comparable communities. It is a fair comparison.

The reason Florida taxes overall are so low is that a lot of the state is unincorporated where there are little to no government services. Also the schools basically stink. The towns with decent schools have higher taxes as well. I never said they weren’t lower but when comparing comparable communities the difference is not as dramatic as you claim. Jay

Old 09-16-2018, 09:30 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
The 5k was factoring income tax, as I mentioned.

As for services - excellent. Garbage pickup twice a week, good schools, massive high tech public library, beautiful and well kept roadways/medians. You should check it out sometime. You would be surprised.
And where would this excellent place be exactly? Jay

Old 09-16-2018, 04:50 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And where would this excellent place be exactly? Jay
I’ve already mentioned community names above.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am comparing taxes in comparable communities. It is a fair comparison.

The reason Florida taxes overall are so low is that a lot of the state is unincorporated where there are little to no government services. Also the schools basically stink. The towns with decent schools have higher taxes as well. I never said they weren’t lower but when comparing comparable communities the difference is not as dramatic as you claim. Jay
It is not a fair comparison and this has occurred many times - the cherry pick of Greenwich (CT’s lowest taxed suburb) to *insert out of state community here*. Eyeroll.

According to the tax foundation (by the US census bureau) the median property tax on a home in Hartford, New Haven and Fairfield County is double that of Miami, Palm Beach and Broward County FL. The median home price in those counties is similar to New Haven County. Imagine that.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-16-2018 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Doesn't sound worth it to me, I would imagine the math is the same for other people in my situation.
I'm one of the people that would actually move for better weather. I'd even pay more in taxes, but Florida isn't my idea of better weather, southern California is.
That’s great for you - statistics show that many disagree with you. Now back to the discussion at hand - tax burden. There is no doubt CT has a higher tax burden than FL. Full stop.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am familiar and that area is drop dead gorgeous. Quite affluent. Affluent areas nationally = educated parents = parents who will not put up with poor school systems.

In the last few decades, we have seen the pattern hold. Tell me the baby boomer parents level of education, and their children's level will be similar -perhaps slightly better. It creates gigantic differentials in quality of school systems in cities and towns that are neighbors. That differential holds in all states, including Ct.
Yes, many areas of Palm Beach County are amazingly beautiful. How well kept some of the communities are would have CT residents drooling. A ton of residents there, young and old, are from CT and have amazing jobs - and would never move back.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:39 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,828,917 times
Quote:
That’s great for you - statistics show that many disagree with you. Now back to the discussion at hand - tax burden. There is no doubt CT has a higher tax burden than FL. Full stop.

You think people would move to save $2500 in taxes ?

Tax arbitrage is only for the wealthy.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Tax arbitrage is only for the wealthy.
I’ll repost my former response to you, so, again...

Quote:
Is it worth a relocation to save 5k a year? Probably not (for most, there are other factors like warm winters, better economy etc). But it’s very difficult to argue that FL’s tax burden is as high.
Reread my last sentence.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times
Quote:
You left off the 'per year' detail. Was that intentional?

The same principle applies to dropping cable TV service. The dollars add up to significant savings over a lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut