Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 08:12 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Govt's only reason of existence now is how to devise schemes to milk the middle class for more money.
This and fishing licenses. Don't forget fishing licenses.

Seriously, thought, this type of all or none thinking really gets us nowhere. Obviously, there are many essential functions of government-- and, yes, there is waste. The main problem we have in CT is pension obligations that are inherited. Afterschool child care and libraries aren't the problem.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:17 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This and fishing licenses. Don't forget fishing licenses.

Seriously, thought, this type of all or none thinking really gets us nowhere. Obviously, there are many essential functions of government-- and, yes, there is waste. The main problem we have in CT is pension obligations that are inherited. Afterschool child care and libraries aren't the problem.
Ding ding! And who was the main one that offset moderate pay for state workers for ridiculous benefit schemes? What party was he again? Where is he now?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
The local Danbury paper just confirmed that Praxair has decided to scrap its plan for a new $60 million world headquarters in Danbury which was announced last October. I guess the state is still hopeful that they will remain in CT at their current Danbury HQ, but no comment yet from company officials. I'm hopeful too -- I know a few people from my town who work there

Old 05-12-2015, 11:17 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
The local Danbury paper just confirmed that Praxair has decided to scrap its plan for a new $60 million world headquarters in Danbury which was announced last October. I guess the state is still hopeful that they will remain in CT at their current Danbury HQ, but no comment yet from company officials. I'm hopeful too -- I know a few people from my town who work there
Just saw that. They were given $30m by the State as an incentive to build.

In the recent quarter they took a big hit to their profits and cut their outlook. I bet this played a big role in canceling the HQ
project.

I'll bet any money they moving. I just an article that said in October 2014 they planned on moving http://www.newstimes.com/business/ar...ry-5862364.php and they have strong presense in Texas and NY. I bet they are moving to NY.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Just saw that. They were given $30m by the State as an incentive to build.

In the recent quarter they took a big hit to their profits and cut their outlook. I bet this played a big role in canceling the HQ
project.

I'll bet any money they moving. I just an article that said in October 2014 they planned on moving State aid will keep Praxair in Danbury - NewsTimes and they have strong presense in Texas and NY. I bet they are moving to NY.
The icing on the cake would be if they move to Texas. Malloy was so cunning say "it feels good to beat Texas." That would knock Malloy down a peg or two.

I want to add this is the second large corporation to hault expansion plans in the past 3 months. Protein Sciences was in talks to buy a huge facility but they halted and since said they want to move all operations to NY.

If Malloy/Admin doesn't think we have an issue I'm not sure what they see.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:17 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
The icing on the cake would be if they move to Texas. Malloy was so cunning say "it feels good to beat Texas." That would knock Malloy down a peg or two.

I want to add this is the second large corporation to hault expansion plans in the past 3 months. Protein Sciences was in talks to buy a huge facility but they halted and since said they want to move all operations to NY.

If Malloy/Admin doesn't think we have an issue I'm not sure what they see.

This is what bothers me. They don't take responsibility and try to blame it on something that isn't their fault to make them look better. Yet Malloy always cherry pick facts and use these ridicolous facts to make it seem better than it is. He uses the excuse that since crime is its lowest point in 40 years that the new gun laws are working. The only people you're hurting are lawful gun owners. No if and buts. I'm not saying he only does this with his gun laws but also how we deal with jobs. Though I do look at every governor and they do the same thing. So I guess it makes us look better?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:22 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Crime has a very complicated relationship with economic performance. You can be booming right now as a state, and still have a high crime rate. The opposite is also true. Some states in dire economic times, still manage to keep crime low. Although there are critics of police data, still no one can deny that CT's crime rate is lower than some states who are doing better economically.

More meaningfully, for most people, crime is really relative to their whereabouts, risks they take, etc.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:07 PM

I want to get some of this good stuff. The people that wrote this report Report: Fining low-wage employers would create jobs | HartfordBusiness.com should have their head examined.

It is forcing companies to take lower profits or take fine and pass onto consumers! How does that creat jobs? Ol wait, it creates more government jobs so CT can continue to get handouts. How about stop the handouts and take the fine money and set up college funds so people can learn a skill or trade instead of "would you like fries with that."

Old 05-13-2015, 09:42 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
I want to get some of this good stuff. The people that wrote this report Report: Fining low-wage employers would create jobs | HartfordBusiness.com should have their head examined.

It is forcing companies to take lower profits or take fine and pass onto consumers! How does that creat jobs? Ol wait, it creates more government jobs so CT can continue to get handouts. How about stop the handouts and take the fine money and set up college funds so people can learn a skill or trade instead of "would you like fries with that."
Actually there's significant evidence that profit maximization on a wide scale without any sort of real redistribution causes a choke point on growth. Both in macro and micro terms.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:56 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Actually there's significant evidence that profit maximization on a wide scale without any sort of real redistribution causes a choke point on growth. Both in macro and micro terms.
First off, this left-wing group "Jobs with Justice" produced a report that advocates -- tax more to spend that money in Govt, i.e. hire more Govt workers. Duh! Why they have to make a study -- this beats me.

Secondly, about redistribution of profits. Profits themselves are result of redistribution. From you and me to the capitalist. What's missing from your sentence is -- who should do the redistribution?

Thirdly, there are thousands of books written by many left-wing closeted-Marxist professors that justify redistribution by a small group of individuals, via an iron-fisted, centralized agent, that we call the Government. This is forced, dictatorial redistribution -- you do this or else.

There is nothing innovative and ground-breaking about this. This is what CT has been doing for the last decades, and you can see how significant this evidence is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut