Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 AM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I saw this and wondered what the heck it was even published for. It had NOTHING new to add to what the Post and its sister newspaper, The Stamford Advocate, had already posted many times before. It was based on old data that we saw before. To me it was just another case of rehashing old stuff to get media clicks. Jay
It provided an update showing the continued reduction in force has gone on, almost continuously.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It provided an update showing the continued reduction in force has gone on, almost continuously.
No, it was using data from 2018 which was reported months ago. Again, nothing new. Just more click bait. Jay

Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,717,990 times
Quote:
Here we go once again.

As I have noted in the past, West Hartford has among the highest taxes in the state so it is not a reasonable or fair comparison. People who buy and move there do not care about a few extra pennies it costs them in taxes to live there. It is still among the most desirable communities in the greater Hartford region, if not the state and they even pay a premium on the purchase price to live there. It offers excellent schools, services and facilities and those kind of things cost money.

If someone is that obsessed with taxes, all they have to do is look in Farmington directly to the west. Its taxes are MUCH lower and still has excellent schools. Its taxes are certainly more in line with or even lower than comparable suburbs in places you have mentioned before including Seattle, Miami, southern California and northern Virginia. It is even lower than comparable suburbs in Boston and New York. In many cases the purchase prices are lower too. I have shown this with actual comparisons numerous times. Jay
I wish it were just a few extra pennies to live here. The town is gouging and squeezing people for everything it can to get money to fund municipal pensions. That is why taxes are so high. Meanwhile, our basic services, particularly road upkeep, have been facing neglect. Aside from the I-84 exit ramp by Park Road, our streets are a mess. In the long run, this will lead to higher turnover among people who live here, which means more people staying for a shorter period of time, which will mean less people staying to commit to having solid schools, nice parks, good public amenities, etc. I suspect this is why they are so eager to secure a tenant for the old UConn property and why they were happy to see Target coming in to Bishops Corner: tax revenue, which is sorely needed since they mostly rely on cutesy boutiques and restaurants.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 04-15-2019 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I wish it were just a few extra pennies to live here. The town is gouging and squeezing people for everything it can to get money to fund municipal pensions. That is why taxes are so high. Meanwhile, our basic services, particularly road upkeep, have been facing neglect. Aside from the I-84 exit ramp by Park Road, our streets are a mess. In the long run, this will lead to higher turnover among people who live here, which means more people staying for a shorter period of time, which will mean less people staying to commit to having solid schools, nice parks, good public amenities, etc. I suspect this is why they are so eager to secure a tenant for the old UConn property and why they were happy to see Target coming in to Bishops Corner: tax revenue, which is sorely needed since they mostly rely on cutesy boutiques and restaurants.
You are correct that West Hartford is anxious for more commercial development for the taxes. Most communities do the same. That was a big selling point for Blue Back Square. It significantly added to the town’s tax base. West Hartford is pretty much fully developed with little to no vacant land for new development so now it must look at redevelopment for additional tax revenue.

I have not noticed town roads being neglected. I have noticed some potholes around but honestly I noticed more in my town, Glastonbury, this year than there. Could just be what I see. Jay

Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You are correct that West Hartford is anxious for more commercial development for the taxes. Most communities do the same. That was a big selling point for Blue Back Square. It significantly added to the town’s tax base. West Hartford is pretty much fully developed with little to no vacant land for new development so now it must look at redevelopment for additional tax revenue.

I have not noticed town roads being neglected. I have noticed some potholes around but honestly I noticed more in my town, Glastonbury, this year than there. Could just be what I see. Jay
It was intended to reduce our tax burden. It did not. Between a revolving door of retailers and tenants due to unjustifiably high rents and vacant storefronts, it has not been the economic boom that out of town developers promised it would be. In the last decade since its opening, property taxes have risen precipitously but it has not coincided with an improvement of the services the town prides itself on.

The town is well-developed, but there is opportunity to build, particularly on New Park Avenue. There's been a smattering of new businesses that have popped up, but so far nothing significant has emerged. Which is a shame because if the brownfields were cleaned up and put to use it would benefit us financially. I would love to see us have an office park similar to how Farmington does with various companies. I realize they aren't as built up as we are, but again, in theory there is the space to do that on New Park on a smaller scale.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 04-15-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
why they were happy to see Target coming in to Bishops Corner: tax revenue, which is sorely needed since they mostly rely on cutesy boutiques and restaurants.

Wait, what? In the former Walmart space behind Mar-SHALLS/Home Goods? That's a really small footprint for a Target.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Wait, what? In the former Walmart space behind Mar-SHALLS/Home Goods? That's a really small footprint for a Target.
I know. It's a small footprint that will bring in a ton of traffic in an already congested area. Not everyone who lives in the neighborhood is gung-ho about this either, believe me. And not to sound negative, but I'm still not entirely convinced that this would have been the best use of this space, JHMO.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It was intended to reduce our tax burden. It did not. Between a revolving door of retailers and tenants due to unjustifiably high rents and vacant storefronts, it has not been the economic boom that out of town developers promised it would be. In the last decade since its opening, property taxes have risen precipitously but it has not coincided with an improvement of the services the town prides itself on.

It's kind of worse than that. The sky-high taxes causing the sky-high rents end up being passed on as high prices. We don't spend much in West Hartford Center because it's such a poor value.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's kind of worse than that. The sky-high taxes causing the sky-high rents end up being passed on as high prices. We don't spend much in West Hartford Center because it's such a poor value.
It's not about providing a good value in that area. The property owners know they can get away with charging outrageous rents and the tenants will then happily pass the costs on to customers who are there oftentimes for status, so they won't think twice about plunking down $25 for an average glass of wine. I think the bigger problem is that it reflects a broader trend where restaurants are replacing retail, and where smaller businesses continue to get squeezed. That whole area now feels like a giant food court, and as a local who's witnessed this change over several years, I'm not impressed.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
It's not about providing a good value in that area. The property owners know they can get away with charging outrageous rents and the tenants will then happily pass the costs on to customers who are there oftentimes for status, so they won't think twice about plunking down $25 for an average glass of wine. I think the bigger problem is that it reflects a broader trend where restaurants are replacing retail, and where smaller businesses continue to get squeezed. That whole area now feels like a giant food court, and as a local who's witnessed this change over several years, I'm not impressed.

That's fine if it's a good food court.

It could be worse. In my little coastal village, the retail and services that used to make it very high walkability score were chased out by realtors, spas, and galleries who could afford the escalating rents. The center still has a pharmacy and a hardware store, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut