Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 05:53 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
In thinking further on this, I have to question where you get that 15% of Fairfield County workers work in New York City?
Here is my source:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...cities/532623/

Old 05-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not solely talking about anchor stores. There are those subpar pop-up shops all over the Post mall that are nasty and cater to the lowest common denominator. If it’s more “upscale“ today than in years past, that’s incredibly sad. And judging by the clientele in that mall, I’d stop short of using the word upscale anywhere near the same sentence as Post mall.
I suspect you are talking about the gang related early mall closings which have occurred there. You are correct in doing so. I truly wish bus service to cities would stop, or require anyone under 18 to be accompanied by an adult at all times, or to show a mall store current id.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:35 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
I agree with that. Westfield is notorious for catering to the lowest common denominator to maximize their profits. Even Trumbull had some pretty lowly stores. Gives the malls a lower class feel and kind of scares away upscale shoppers. That is why the SoNo Collection should do well. In affluent southwest Connecticut there is a lack of a real larger upscale shopping center. It could attract shoppers from far away. Jay
I’m surprised southwest CT doesn’t have an upscale shopping center like Fashion Island in southern CA or Town Center in south FL. Perhaps it’s because the residents of CT are less materialistic than those in CA and FL, because the wealth in greater FFC can certainly support it. The closest thing would be the Danbury mall, but even that is nothing like the two previously mentioned shopping centers. I guess that’s discussion for another time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I suspect you are talking about the gang related early mall closings which have occurred there. You are correct in doing so. I truly wish bus service to cities would stop, or require anyone under 18 to be accompanied by an adult at all times, or to show a mall store current id.
The only issue with that is employees who don’t make enough to own a vehicle won’t be able to get to work. Lots of minimum wage employees use the bus. If that werent the case, I’d be with you all the way.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

The only issue with that is employees who don’t make enough to own a vehicle won’t be able to get to work. Lots of minimum wage employees use the bus. If that werent the case, I’d be with you all the way.
With a mall id, I'd allow them in, by themselves.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:10 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Our town just launched a site to help attract visitors and residents. Very nice job. I always say this state is not great at PR. The CT Tourism campaign was underwhelming. If a small city can do this, the state can do so much more.

Discover Milford, Connecticut - A coastal village prime for work, life, and play.
That's really well done! Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:50 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Well that Atlantic article has been shown to be full of misinformation. Add this to it. Mathematically it is impossible for the county to have that many people commuting to New York when the town with the highest percent barely meets that percentage. I tried looking for the reference in the link provided but could not find where it states that. Makes you wonder. Jay

Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I remember very clearly the original open-air Connecticut Post Mall. The big stores there were Alexander's Department Store, Stop & Shop and Woolworth's. Both Alexanders and Woolworth's were considered middle to lower cost stores. Alexanders reminds me of Kohl's and Woolworth's was a Five and Dime, sort of like a Walmart. Later a Caldor's discount department store was added. Sears came in 2000. I think that kind of means the mall was pretty much always a lower class mall than say Trumbull which had more upscale stores like DM Reads. It wasn't until 1991 when G. Fox built a store there that the Connecticut Post moved up in class. Even then it never had a more upscale department store like Lord & Taylor. Because of this history, I am not sure how anyone can say the mall today with Macy's and Boscov's is lower class than it was in the past. Macy's is certainly comparable to G. Fox and Boscov's is very similar to Alexander's so I would say if anythign the mall is more upscale than it was when it was built. Jay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Post_Mall
The region has been dominated, for decades, by stores that cater to the lower to middle class, and if the mall could do that in 2019 w/o attracting dangerous thug teens, that would be fine.

There is nothing inherently wrong about a region dominated by discount retail chains.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:38 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
The region has been dominated, for decades, by stores that cater to the lower to middle class, and if the mall could do that in 2019 w/o attracting dangerous thug teens, that would be fine.

There is nothing inherently wrong about a region dominated by discount retail chains.
I agree but short of building a wall around a town, it is very hard to stop the bad element from going to major public gathering places like malls. It all goes back to the things we discussed on another thread. Time to go back to cracking down on juvenile offenders. Jay

Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I agree but short of building a wall around a town, it is very hard to stop the bad element from going to major public gathering places like malls. It all goes back to the things we discussed on another thread. Time to go back to cracking down on juvenile offenders. Jay
Age restrictions, not letting kids come alone, are legal, plus the mall could simply push to avoid having the buses come there except around shift change hours. Exemption would let their staff come by bus, go home by bus, but not the thug crowd all day long.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:05 AM

413 posts, read 317,503 times
If anything shows how bad our politicians are it is this. How hard is it to mess this up so bad you have one of the worst state economies in the country.
Hartford 2nd Richest City In America?

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...qtSuMDYKx0Zu0s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut