Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM

385 posts, read 362,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Also in today's Courant.
Connecticut tops interstate migration losers as Florida profits.

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...cni-story.html
"Connecticut lost the equivalent of 1.6 percent of its annual adjusted gross income, as the people who moved out of the Constitution State had an average income of $122,000, which was 26 percent higher than those migrating in." Waiting for the defenders to put a positive spin on this stat.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:48 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Also in today's Courant.
Connecticut tops interstate migration losers as Florida profits.

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...cni-story.html
This confirms what I’ve been saying for quite some time on this forum:

Florida posted a net income influx of nearly 3 percent of the state’s adjusted gross income in 2016. South Carolina, Idaho and Oregon were also among the largest gainers in the interstate shuffle.

"Florida's powerhouse economy continues to churn out new jobs, retiree migration to Florida is on the rise, and millennials are coming into their prime home-buying years," Brad O'Connor, chief economist for Florida Realtor, said in a report before the trade association's annual summit.

Florida was the top financial magnet, reeling in $17.2 billion more than it lost, about seven times the amounts netted by each of the runner-ups Texas, Washington and South Carolina. The Sunshine State was the No. 1 recipient of the wealth exodus from 18 individual states — with New York, Illinois and New Jersey combining to contribute about $8 billion to Florida’s income base.

While long a haven for retirement, Florida's effort to lure Wall Street executives has gained traction thanks to a provision in the federal tax law passed by the Trump administration that hits residents of high-tax states by putting a lower cap on state and local tax deductions.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
"Connecticut lost the equivalent of 1.6 percent of its annual adjusted gross income, as the people who moved out of the Constitution State had an average income of $122,000, which was 26 percent higher than those migrating in." Waiting for the defenders to put a positive spin on this stat.
That is pretty devastating for our state. I love our state but there is not one scintilla of good in that.

Not to mention I just saw this today too which I think is even worse news for our state.

"Connecticut’s unfunded pension liability amounts to $32,805 per person in the state and 45.13 percent of Connecticut’s gross state product, according to ALEC’s report. But Connecticut’s total funding ratio was dead last, with ALEC calculating the state has only 20.28 percent of the money necessary to keep its future promises to state employees and teachers."
https://yankeeinstitute.org/2019/03/...ding-to-report

How in the world is this state suppose to function in the future if each man, woman and child owes $32,805. They sure aren't going to get that from me.....or maybe they will via all of these taxes.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:25 PM

720 posts, read 919,214 times
Its honestly doom and gloom for this state. Until we get decent leadership this state is just doomed. Previous govern did not but destroy the economic environment in this state and Ned is doing the exact same thing. Sad!

Old 05-30-2019, 04:55 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Its honestly doom and gloom for this state. Until we get decent leadership this state is just doomed. Previous govern did not but destroy the economic environment in this state and Ned is doing the exact same thing. Sad!
I wouldn’t go that far. The state needs to do more to retain residents, and especially affluent residents, but it’s not Midwest rust belt status the way many make it seem.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:29 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
It is not that bad. The news blows things out of proportion. Compare CT to other states and we are doing just fine. The news likes to compare us to FL all the time. We get it, old people leave. That’s why Florida is called Gods Waiting Room.

CT is doing fine and holding our own.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:30 PM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
I dunno, I heard on the radio today that we are in our 8th month or so of declining home sales. They sugar coated it and tried to say that it's a sellers market and low inventory. I think many people have stopped listing their houses because they can't sell them. Nobody can afford the "median" price house because that group of people is leaving. If you go look in the Maine page, there is a guy in Enfield looking to move to Maine, can't sell his gorgeous house (he's a cabinet maker) for $250k. I drive around New Britain every day and see lots of houses with curtains drawn and 18 inch high grass.

Also heard that Stanley Black and Decker is building a new factory to employ 500 people.....in Texas

Been well advertised that a manufacturer in Waterbury said they will relocate if minimum wage got passed....it did.... more lost jobs.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:36 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
We lost GE. We were losing Aetna (they had already announced he move to NY) but we were save by a merger. That was two Fortune 500 companies in one governor's term.

If by "doing pretty darn well" you mean lagging the rest of the country economically, that's true. But the bigger issue is that folks confuse Connecticut's history as an economic power with the scraps that remain. The trend is in the wrong direction. And it has been since the 80s.

No one in state government today has anything to do with our gross domestic product or any of the good things about Connecticut. They were gifted to this generation of politicians and who are destroying the legacy of the state.

People need to wake up and fast.
The last 20 years have been gloomy in terms of Ct economic growth. You are correct. The prior decades gifted the clowns governing the last 20 years a strong hand, and they misplayed it, and during that time, we lost far more excellent corps than we gained.

Lamont is off to a terrible start. Financial analysts project 15,500 Ct job losses tied to the $15 minimum wage.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:30 PM

266 posts, read 245,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I dunno, I heard on the radio today that we are in our 8th month or so of declining home sales. They sugar coated it and tried to say that it's a sellers market and low inventory. I think many people have stopped listing their houses because they can't sell them. Nobody can afford the "median" price house because that group of people is leaving. If you go look in the Maine page, there is a guy in Enfield looking to move to Maine, can't sell his gorgeous house (he's a cabinet maker) for $250k. I drive around New Britain every day and see lots of houses with curtains drawn and 18 inch high grass.

Also heard that Stanley Black and Decker is building a new factory to employ 500 people.....in Texas

Been well advertised that a manufacturer in Waterbury said they will relocate if minimum wage got passed....it did.... more lost jobs.
https://www.thewarrengroup.com/2019/...ned-unchanged/

Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 PM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Default Not sure how other feel but..

..I am starting to see some major inflation. Garbage bill went up 15% this cycle and daycare went up 20% recently. This is very bad as state is not prepared with decent paying jobs to offset these hikes. You also have gas at 3.10 - 3.20 which is up 40 cents/gallon over last several months. Hold on tight because next few quarters might be brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut