Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 08:08 PM

413 posts, read 317,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It's a biotech firm - it makes sense to locate where the talent and research is. Until somewhere in CT can supplant Kendall Square, MIT, Harvard, and Mass General, biotech firms will continue to locate in MA.

There are biotech companies in every city in America. They ain't all moving to the Boston suburbs. And moving a company is a big deal. It's disruptive and difficult. You really have to want to leave to go through it.

Live in denial all you want. Connecticut has a problem. Until people start facing up to that fact, it will never get better.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
How many did they employ in Ct?

Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and another Ct corp waves bye bye.
This is no big deal. Consolidation happens. We have the large fintech company coming to Hartford. Jobs lost will be replaced 10x fold.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:19 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This is no big deal. Consolidation happens. We have the large fintech company coming to Hartford. Jobs lost will be replaced 10x fold.
You can come up with a reason, other than government policy, for every company in CT to leave. But the fact remains they are leaving, they aren’t consolidating in CT, they always give this “its not you it’s me” excuse. We can continue to make excuses OR we can acknowledge that we have a competitiveness problem(and an fiscal crisis on the horizon) and try to find solutions. A big reason why so many large Connecticut companies are relocating to Massachusetts is because Massachusetts is extremely aggressive with their incentive packages. If you have enough capital to invest you can move to Massachusetts and pay Florida taxes for the foreseeable future and have access to an educated skilled workforce. CT isn’t even bothering to try to keep these companies anymore.

Last edited by cttransplant85; 07-11-2019 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 09:42 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,932 times
Oh My God! Connecticut ISN'T the WORST? Wait, the Republicans tell you it's the worst place on the planet. Everyone is leaving. The economy is collapsing. All this, of course, until THEY are in power.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/amer...ness-2019.html

Don't care if your kids can't read? Move to Georgia.

Die of contaminated water? Move to Oklahoma.

Don't care if you have to drive 150 miles to find a job? Move to Wyoming.

All low tax, low regulation states.

North Carolina is currently run by a Democrat. Except for 10 years in the last 60, North Carolina has been run by Democrats. People are flocking to North Carolina. Corporations are moving there in droves. If it were Connecticut, the Hartford Courant and local radio would be whining that North Carolina was failing.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
. We can continue to make excuses OR we can acknowledge that we have a competitiveness problem(and an fiscal crisis on the horizon) and try to find solutions.
Bingo, and they are mutually exclusive choices.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Oh My God! Connecticut ISN'T the WORST? Wait, the Republicans tell you it's the worst place on the planet. Everyone is leaving. The economy is collapsing. All this, of course, until THEY are in power.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/amer...ness-2019.html

Don't care if your kids can't read? Move to Georgia.

Die of contaminated water? Move to Oklahoma.

Don't care if you have to drive 150 miles to find a job? Move to Wyoming.

All low tax, low regulation states.

North Carolina is currently run by a Democrat. Except for 10 years in the last 60, North Carolina has been run by Democrats. People are flocking to North Carolina. Corporations are moving there in droves. If it were Connecticut, the Hartford Courant and local radio would be whining that North Carolina was failing.
I agree but because we are not a growing state, meaning increasing in population, we get a bad reputation 8n business growth rankings, particularly from some posters on this forum. They ignore the many positives (like our virtually full employment) and focus on every little bit of negative news there is. Just look at the posts above and you can see what I am talking about. Jay

Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
So yesterday Governor Lamont was out visiting major business media outlets to promote our state and try to correct the negative view these organizations have about our state. He visited MSNBC and CNBC and met with the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal who have been particularly critical of our state. I have talked about this before. The media seems to like to slam our state. Maybe some of it is deserved but certainly no where near of it as we get. As I noted before, I have a friend in the New York media who has been in meetings where the editors of a major news outlet talked about “sticking it to those rich a**holes”. Not very objective. Let’s hope Lamont made some inroads. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2019/07/11/lamo...o-wall-street/

Old 07-12-2019, 03:50 PM

230 posts, read 220,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree but because we are not a growing state, meaning increasing in population, we get a bad reputation 8n business growth rankings, particularly from some posters on this forum. They ignore the many positives (like our virtually full employment) and focus on every little bit of negative news there is. Just look at the posts above and you can see what I am talking about. Jay
Jay, if I could nominate you as the Official Cheerleader of Connecticut, I would (and I mean that with all respect).

However, I strongly believe that the negativity on this thread is not coming from people who are ignoring the positives and only focusing on every little bit of negative news there is. Rather, it’s coming from people with past or present ties to the state, who care about the state, who want the state to succeed, and are tremendously frustrated by the growing amounts of data that suggest Connecticut is failing to live up to its potential and moving (slowly but steadily) in the wrong direction.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post

However, I strongly believe that the negativity on this thread is not coming from people who are ignoring the positives and only focusing on every little bit of negative news there is. Rather, it’s coming from people with past or present ties to the state, who care about the state, who want the state to succeed, and are tremendously frustrated by the growing amounts of data that suggest Connecticut is failing to live up to its potential and moving (slowly but steadily) in the wrong direction.
Correct. If Ct were an employee, I'd have its leaders on a PIP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut