Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 07:45 AM

6,744 posts, read 3,644,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The fiscally responsible middle class doesn’t trade in their vehicles?
They have a choice in the greatest country in the world.
Fiscally responsible individuals manage and keep debt in check, don't make foolish decisions and blame others (or States) for their own mistakes.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 AM

37,035 posts, read 39,117,675 times
Federal-level legislators from net donor states need to push through legislation that provides a reasonable floor for federal spending going back to those states.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:52 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,174,496 times
Death by a thousand cuts. Steve define lower income?

Old 09-25-2019, 07:52 AM

21,591 posts, read 31,088,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
They have a choice in the greatest country in the world.
Fiscally responsible individuals manage and keep debt in check, don't make foolish decisions and blame others (or States) for their own mistakes.
Trading in a vehicle does not necessarily mean the trader is fiscally irresponsible. I traded in my old Altima in 2012 that was on its last leg for a new car. I didn’t buy a Mercedes and was able to pay for my modest, used car in cash. I’m sure most others on this forum, who are also fiscally responsible, have traded in their cars at some point as well.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Trading in a vehicle does not necessarily mean the trader is fiscally irresponsible. I traded in my old Altima in 2012 that was on its last leg for a new car. I didn’t buy a Mercedes and was able to pay for my modest, used car in cash. I’m sure most others on this forum, who are also fiscally responsible, have traded in their cars at some point as well.
A 2012 Nissan on it's last leg? (rhetorical) Japanese cars are built to be reliable and should last much longer than 7 years. Its great that you were able to pay in cash and I'm sure the $35 trade-in fee didn't affect you much at all.
Hopefully you won't have to pay the now $100 trade-in fee for another 7 years.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Death by a thousand cuts. Steve define lower income?
Its folks that make lower income salaries or wages Stepford. Folks who work hard but make less money than you and I for example.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
A 2012 Nissan on it's last leg? (rhetorical) Japanese cars are built to be reliable and should last much longer than 7 years. Its great that you were able to pay in cash and I'm sure the $35 trade-in fee didn't affect you much at all.
Hopefully you won't have to pay the now $100 trade-in fee for another 7 years.
I didn’t say the Altima was a 2012. It was traded in 2012. It was a 2002.

In these tax threads, what’s failing to be realized is the totality of taxes. One won’t have disastrous affects. All combined, of which there are many in 19, can be. That’s the point being missed by some in these discussions. And they are all striking the working class hardest.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:29 AM

996 posts, read 376,363 times
Quote:
I didn’t say the Altima was a 2012. It was traded in 2012. It was a 2002.

In these tax threads, what’s failing to be realized is the totality of taxes. One won’t have disastrous affects. All combined, of which there are many in 19, can be. That’s the point being missed by some in these discussions. And they are all striking the working class hardest.
Little by little , the Ruling Class of Democrats continue to drain money from the pockets of Ct Citizens.

It appears we may have actually gotten off easier than what Lamont really wanted.

I don't think any other state actually charges a flat fee for a trade in, however Illinois will have their law change Jan 1.
There any trade in over a $ 10,000 value will increase the overall sales tax paid on the transaction.

From the CT Post last March.

The biggest portion of that would come from repealing the sales tax exemption on vehicle trade-ins.

“Repeal of the trade-in tax credit will on average increase the cost to a consumer financing a vehicle by $1200-$1500,” Jeff Aiosa, owner of Mercedes Benz of New London, said. “This kind of price increase will directly impact consumer behavior resulting in delayed or postponed sales, sales of less expensive vehicles, or worse, no sales at all. This burden will affect all consumers trading in a car.”

With repeal of the trade-in exemption, Connecticut will stand alone in the Northeast as the only state to tax the trade-in vehicle.

“All states, with the exception of California, that have a sales tax on motor vehicle sales similar to Connecticut’s have some type of allowance exempting the trade-in from the sales tax,” Jill Silverman, owner and assistant general manager of Richard Chevrolet, said. “More importantly, all northeastern states, with the exception of New Hampshire, which has no sales tax, give consumers a trade-in exemption.”

Old 09-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I didn’t say the Altima was a 2012. It was traded in 2012. It was a 2004.
Ah my mistake. You sound very responsible fiscally, keep it up. A trade-in fee once per decade isn't going to affect you.
See that's my point, hopefully that's the "a-ha" moment.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Ah my mistake. You sound very responsible fiscally, keep it up. A trade-in fee once per decade isn't going to affect you.
See that's my point, hopefully that's the "a-ha" moment.
Some might call me cheap.

Don’t get me wrong. We just traded our Grand Cherokee (done with Jeeps; they’re crap) for a midsized luxury SUV. But we also have a much more handsome income than we did 10 years ago.

It might affect someone who *needs* to trade in their car and lives paycheck to paycheck. And again, I’ll reiterate that it’s not one tax that hurts people; it’s the totality of all these new taxes/tax rates. You don’t really notice a difference until you move to another state and aren’t nickel and dimed at every corner. It was eye opening to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut