Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 08:30 PM

50 posts, read 30,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you think our local taxes are high, look at taxes paid in Westchester or Nassau in New York or much of New Jersey. Also our local taxes are not out of line with taxes paid in Massachusetts or Rhode Island either. In fact they aren’t much more than comparable communities near major cities around the country. It’s only when you compare them to low cost unincorporated areas away from cities that you see big differences. Jay
I do think they are high and I don’t agree that our taxes aren’t much more than comparable communities. CT is consistently ranked as having one of the highest local tax burdens in the us, a quick google search will confirm that. Yes, taxes can be higher in spots like westchester which is in the backyard of one of the biggest cities on the planet. CT has no major city, no major job center to justify the tax burden.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:31 PM

512 posts, read 442,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s correct. It occurred once when the system was new and it was a fluke when they were ironing out the wrinkles. Of course, the media took advantage of it and screamed about it for weeks. It has not happened since.
That’s incorrect. I take the metro to Arlington 3 days a week & when the metro goes by the area (in Tyson’s) where the tolls for I66 inside the beltway are posted, just about every time I happen to look the tolls are around $48. Today was $38, which is the lowest I have seen in weeks. This is around 8-8:30 am. Mind you this toll is only for about 10 mile stretch. Since I take the metro, I pay $4.75 to park at metro garage but I could take the bus from my house to the garage and avoid the fee but I chose not to. My employer pays for my metro so that helps. And I should note, there are many options to avoid these tolls, including having another passenger. Having said all that, VA is much more tax friendly than CT. For example, my real estate taxes for $500k house are less then $5000k. My mom’s taxes in CT for apro. $150k house are over $3000k.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:41 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You get a lot more than trash, plowing, police and fire for your local taxes. You get road maintenance, schools, libraries, planning and zoning, building inspection, parks, Senior and community center activities and social services. You may not think it is worth it to pay higher taxes in West Hartford and I don’t disagree with you, but obviously a lot of other people do not agree. Otherwise no one would buy there and we know that is not the case. Jay
And back to the point of this discussion, all of those things are offered in any other affluent community in the country, usually at a much lower tax rate.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:45 PM

34,050 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
And back to the point of this discussion, all of those things are offered in any other affluent community in the country, usually at a much lower tax rate.
Amen.

We did not build our first roads only after Ct imposed the giant State Income Tax.

We did not build them only after property taxes skyrocketed, many times higher than inflation, in terms of increase percentages.

We are severely overtaxed relative to the nation. Our State Business Rank is near the bottom of the nation. Those two things are joined at the hip.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:47 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
I never said they didn’t. But the question was what services do other states offer that we do not get here? So far no one (including you) has given anything that we do not have here. Still waiting for that answer. Jay

Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 AM

This came out today and fits with the tax discussion here:

CT second least tax-friendly state

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...friendly-state

From the article link above: “The poor ranking, which has been consistent in recent years, is partly due to Connecticut having the country’s fourth-highest property tax rate, Kiplinger said.”

Old 10-04-2019, 08:08 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman85 View Post
This came out today and fits with the tax discussion here:

CT second least tax-friendly state

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...friendly-state

From the article link above: “The poor ranking, which has been consistent in recent years, is partly due to Connecticut having the country’s fourth-highest property tax rate, Kiplinger said.”
We already know this. Posting an article that says CT has high taxes and property taxes is like saying you can book hotels on Hotels.com

What do the Tea Party fellas on here have in mind as a solution?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:17 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
We already know this. Posting an article that says CT has high taxes and property taxes is like saying you can book hotels on Hotels.com
Does anyone on here think CT taxes are NOT high?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

What do the Tea Party fellas on here have in mind as a solution?
Apparently you haven’t been paying attention to this thread as there has been some debate regarding the tax burden of ct relative to other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut