Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 AM

570 posts, read 470,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Yes CT Yank you figured it out. All part of the master plan!
Great big conspiracy!!

Hey I vote Republican to try and keep govt small. How does that work out here though.
Blame the politicians who will sell whatever the public at large will swallow. In the end mostly empty promises.

Also not sure how old you are, but my parents like many of the older generation lived very frugally. By today's standards they would be considered working poor. But they were happy and content working each 2 jobs......
Repubs believe in small govt yet govt spending keeps rising when they are in control? Oh right, military is not "govt spending". It is that fancy Medicare to blame. It is not conspiracy. It is fact that previous generations created wars, expanded military, homeland security, etc, blew up housing and student loan costs, then bailed out financial markets time again so Boomer asset holders could have great retirement. I am Gen X, 40s so no one cares about us.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:38 AM

3,430 posts, read 3,902,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Repubs believe in small govt yet govt spending keeps rising when they are in control? Oh right, military is not "govt spending". It is that fancy Medicare to blame. It is not conspiracy. It is fact that previous generations created wars, expanded military, homeland security, etc, blew up housing and student loan costs, then bailed out financial markets time again so Boomer asset holders could have great retirement. I am Gen X, 40s so no one cares about us.
I'm not sure what military spending or Medicare, which are federal issues, have to do with CT's state government.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 AM

570 posts, read 470,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I'm not sure what military spending or Medicare, which are federal issues, have to do with CT's state government.
Mike,

CT residents pay taxes to federal govt and get very little back compared to poorer states. Military contracts are a giant jobs program. I think you can figure out why it impacts state budgets and growth.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:22 PM

33,740 posts, read 16,727,035 times
https://www.cbia.com/news/economy/po...tate-billions/

Great analysis by Bloomberg. Hope we get updates every year on this.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:37 PM

332 posts, read 212,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Mike,

CT residents pay taxes to federal govt and get very little back compared to poorer states. Military contracts are a giant jobs program. I think you can figure out why it impacts state budgets and growth.
Something we should cut from our budget that doesn't help a single American and is an enormous waste is foreign aide. If Americans want to help people from other countries they can donate to charity. We need to stop being the worlds piggy bank.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:27 PM

332 posts, read 212,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

I'd love to see the usual suspects on here try to spin this in a positive light for Connecticut.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:32 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,369,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

We’ve discussed this before. Much of this is due to retiring people moving to warmer climates. If you look at the states losing people they mostly are affluent northern states. Florida is a big retirement state so of course it received the most. It does not mean the jobs have gone there. CBIA is hardly unbiased so their spin is hardly objective. Jay

Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,912,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
We’ve discussed this before. Much of this is due to retiring people moving to warmer climates. If you look at the states losing people they mostly are affluent northern states. Florida is a big retirement state so of course it received the most. It does not mean the jobs have gone there. CBIA is hardly unbiased so their spin is hardly objective. Jay
Actually, FL is among the states with the highest job growth:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gov...018.html%3fAMP

Based off that, I’d say that jobs are going there.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:59 AM

266 posts, read 242,729 times
https://yankeeinstitute.org/2019/11/...lbKaw6J4Ygs5nQ

Connecticut has 6th highest outmigration rate in the country
Marc E. Fitch November 12, 2019
Newly released estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau shows Connecticut’s outmigration rate is worsening compared to the rest of the country.
Connecticut’s net loss of population ranks sixth in the county for 2018. Just one year ago, Connecticut’s outmigration rate was eighth highest.
That’s according to figures analyzed by Donald Klepper-Smith, chief economist for Data Core Partners LLC and former chief economic advisor for the state of Connecticut.
Although the outmigration rate remained relatively unchanged, Connecticut still slipped two spots as other states lost fewer people than in 2017. Smith estimates that Connecticut is losing 414 people per week.
And that’s a conservative estimate.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:25 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,778,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
https://yankeeinstitute.org/2019/11/...lbKaw6J4Ygs5nQ

Connecticut has 6th highest outmigration rate in the country
Marc E. Fitch November 12, 2019
Newly released estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau shows Connecticut’s outmigration rate is worsening compared to the rest of the country.
Connecticut’s net loss of population ranks sixth in the county for 2018. Just one year ago, Connecticut’s outmigration rate was eighth highest.
That’s according to figures analyzed by Donald Klepper-Smith, chief economist for Data Core Partners LLC and former chief economic advisor for the state of Connecticut.
Although the outmigration rate remained relatively unchanged, Connecticut still slipped two spots as other states lost fewer people than in 2017. Smith estimates that Connecticut is losing 414 people per week.
And that’s a conservative estimate.

Good I hope we lose more. 414 per week only equals 21,528 per year. We need to increase that 5x to get to our 2,030,00 by 2030 population estimate. I know we can lose 1 million people in the next 10 years.

Lets brainstorm and - just do it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut