Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 06:23 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've been to 2 out of 3 of the Glastonbury Subways. I think the one near Bertucci's either split their space or moved into the smaller store next door. It's hard to gauge how busy that one is since that entire plaza is busy. The one near Webster was always busy when I used to go.

One of the (many) reasons I stopped going was when I found out they actually have a "processed meat food" sandwich. I couldn't remember the name and asked them, and was told by the owners that they don't eat meat so they had no idea. (?!) Sorry, I used to work in a sporting goods shop and and I had to know about all the equipment we sold even if I didn't personally use it so that was strike 3.

<I can't find the info on the fake meat so I suspect it's been changed, it's been 7+ years since I've been. There is a Food Babe who wrote a good article, not sure if I can post it.>
Subway's has one sandwich that is processed turkey based meat.

The Food babes expose about Yoga mat was junk science. Like saying water is bad for you if you drink too much. While hypothetically true, a non issue in the real world.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:43 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Firehouse closed both locations in Bristol and Gbury. Former coke exec. Honestly it was close to Subway in quality but much more money.

The Firehouse chain is in trouble nationwide.

Jersey Mike's in Gbury is in the top 10 for sales nationally. Busiest in st.
Too bad about firehouse. Their food isn’t terrible (not great either).

That’s impressive about Jersey Mikes in GB. Surprising because CT isn’t big on chains.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:33 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
"Electric Boat anticipates that 2029, when current third-graders will be graduating from high school, will be its peak year for hiring."

You may need to look out of state if you need work now, not in 2029.
Electric Boat hired 900 employees last year. They are in line to hire double that this year. In total they are projecting to hire 18,000 employees over the next ten years. It depends on what a person does but it’s clear there are plenty of jobs being added at Electric Boat, it’s subcontractors and other expanding businesses like Pratt & Whitney now and in the coming decade. Given this, no properly trained and experienced worker has to go out of state to work. Jay

Old 02-07-2020, 07:40 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Electric Boat hired 900 employees last year. They are in line to hire double that this year. In total they are projecting to hire 18,000 employees over the next ten years. It depends on what a person does but it’s clear there are plenty of jobs being added at Electric Boat now and in the coming decade. Jay

Are the 18,000 new hires in CT?

Old 02-07-2020, 07:41 PM

332 posts, read 217,895 times
My favorite chain sandwich place is Quizno's.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:43 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Are the 18,000 new hires in CT?
Yes. Electric Boat has 11,000 employees here now. They are new hires and to replace employees that are anticipated to retire. Jay.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Subway's has one sandwich that is processed turkey based meat.

The Food babes expose about Yoga mat was junk science. Like saying water is bad for you if you drink too much. While hypothetically true, a non issue in the real world.
This was years ago and it wasn't turkey as I never buy turkey sandwiches. Unless they were selling it with gravy? But the way it was worded really made me wonder, so I looked it up that night and found references to the "meat-food" going back to 2005 or so. I was glad I didn't get it.

I did notice some of that nonsense in the article, if I'd had more time I would have looked for a second one to back it up (at least some of it)

<edit> - I wonder if it was the Cold Cut Combo? I traditionally like Italian Combos and I thought this would be close. But they worded it funny, and the owners couldn't tell me what it was made of. It's actually turkey based ham, salami, and bologna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Too bad about firehouse. Their food isn’t terrible (not great either).

That’s impressive about Jersey Mikes in GB. Surprising because CT isn’t big on chains.
I have friends who were raving about it before it even opened. Guess a local has the franchise. Which doesn't mean much to me as a local can own any franchise in town - doesn't mean it's good food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
I really liked Quizno's.

I've heard good things about Nardelli's as well, but don't think I've eaten there.

Two pizza places where I've had good grinders are Foxy Pizza Glastonbury, and Village Pizza Wethersfield. They're out there.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 02-07-2020 at 08:14 PM..

Old 02-07-2020, 08:46 PM

205 posts, read 162,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
Think there is still one left on the Post Road in Orange.

Believe it or not, there are a couple of Blimpie's left in CT.

Southington has 6 Subways (and 8 Dunkins). 2 on Queen St (one on either side of I-84; used to be 3 with a location in Walmart, which was right across the street from one of them), 1 downtown, 1 on West St, and 2 on Meriden-Waterbury Rd (1 near the Drive-In and the other near TA Truck Stop).

And Jimmy John's has avoided CT like the plague. Nearest ones are in White Plains and Worcester.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:17 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

<edit> - I wonder if it was the Cold Cut Combo? I traditionally like Italian Combos and I thought this would be close. But they worded it funny, and the owners couldn't tell me what it was made of. It's actually turkey based ham, salami, and bologna.
Yes the Cold Cut Combo is it.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:12 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
I just saw this on the Stamford Facebook page. Sorry if this was already posted.

Stamford continues to reign supreme with $6 billion in development
https://westfaironline.com/120820/st...in-development

"The city currently has more than $6 billion worth of commercial and residential development underway, has a growing population and employment rate, and recently placed 64th on data aggregating website Stacker’s list of the “100 Best Cities to Raise a Family” – the only Connecticut municipality to make the tally, and easily trouncing such nationally better-known names as Orlando, Denver and Dallas."

“That speaks volumes about where the state is going and what Stamford is doing,” Madden said."

#64 Stamford, Connecticut Best City to raise a family.
https://thestacker.com/stories/1779/...sing-family#38

GO STAMFORD GO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut