Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 05:43 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure why you think this. Major employers here were hiring like crazy before the crisis. Many like Pratt & Whitney and UTC Aerospace are heavily government contractors. In fact, so far Connecticut’s unemployment filings are lower than other states because so many major employers already have work from home practices. Jay

Have you seen RTN's stock price?

Old 05-04-2020, 09:14 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Have you seen RTN's stock price?
Have you seen the Dow? I doubt there is anything to worry about unless the US Government collapses but if that happens we are all in BIG trouble. Jay

Old 05-06-2020, 05:01 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I believe that this virus and the shutdown will have many unintended long-term consequences. Office space and physical businesses will be re-evaluated as restrictions get loosened. If a business is able to operate with 80% of their staff working remotely at any given time then the need for office space, especially in high-priced areas like cities, will likely lead to a significant reduction in space. Retail will see an acceleration of the decline they were experiencing prior to the pandemic. This will require a different method for collecting taxes and hopefully not shift the entire burden from the loss of property taxes that businesses pay to homeowners in the form of higher residential property taxes as well as increases in income and sales taxes. Obviously Connecticut will not be alone in facing these challenges and it could possibly end up being a relative advantage since our state lacks major cities. An area such as NYC which would be severely impacted if business and office space was significantly reduced.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:48 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I believe that this virus and the shutdown will have many unintended long-term consequences. Office space and physical businesses will be re-evaluated as restrictions get loosened. If a business is able to operate with 80% of their staff working remotely at any given time then the need for office space, especially in high-priced areas like cities, will likely lead to a significant reduction in space. Retail will see an acceleration of the decline they were experiencing prior to the pandemic. This will require a different method for collecting taxes and hopefully not shift the entire burden from the loss of property taxes that businesses pay to homeowners in the form of higher residential property taxes as well as increases in income and sales taxes. Obviously Connecticut will not be alone in facing these challenges and it could possibly end up being a relative advantage since our state lacks major cities. An area such as NYC which would be severely impacted if business and office space was significantly reduced.
I don't think we're going to see businesses suddenly adopt work-from-home practices if they hadn't already done so in the past. This has been a push for 20-30 years, work from home, space sharing, etc and many traditional businesses have resisted. They are only doing it now because they have to.

There are too many managers who can't handle not having eyes on their employees. There are too many people who crave human interaction and can't stand working from home. Some use work as a way to get out of the house.

I do believe there will be a shift but I don't think it will be that dramatic.

I mostly work from home and love it. The virus hasn't changed much for me as far as that goes. But it's something I sought for decades, and still in 2020 I have one client who is terrified of remote access, and another who refuses to make electronic payments. The past two years I've told prospective clients that I only work from home and if they "need" me on site, they will need to find someone else.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:57 AM

537 posts, read 330,690 times
Working from home would be much better if I didn't have to also manage 3 young kids trying to do remote learning

Old 05-06-2020, 09:25 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I don't think we're going to see businesses suddenly adopt work-from-home practices if they hadn't already done so in the past. This has been a push for 20-30 years, work from home, space sharing, etc and many traditional businesses have resisted. They are only doing it now because they have to.

There are too many managers who can't handle not having eyes on their employees. There are too many people who crave human interaction and can't stand working from home. Some use work as a way to get out of the house.

I do believe there will be a shift but I don't think it will be that dramatic.

I mostly work from home and love it. The virus hasn't changed much for me as far as that goes. But it's something I sought for decades, and still in 2020 I have one client who is terrified of remote access, and another who refuses to make electronic payments. The past two years I've told prospective clients that I only work from home and if they "need" me on site, they will need to find someone else.
My office was pretty much a face time type of place (finance) before the pandemic, and currently there is no plan to bring people back to the office for the foreseeable future. We always had remote access for employees , but no one really worked from home for more than a day or two, save Sandy or Irene. We've been running our entire office remotely for the past 6 weeks and it has been pretty much seamless. Even when we eventually have employees back in the office, most employees will be working from home one or more days a week. The pandemic has show this can be done and done successfully. Couple that with the ability to save on overhead with less office space, I think its here to stay.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:13 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
My office was pretty much a face time type of place (finance) before the pandemic, and currently there is no plan to bring people back to the office for the foreseeable future. We always had remote access for employees , but no one really worked from home for more than a day or two, save Sandy or Irene. We've been running our entire office remotely for the past 6 weeks and it has been pretty much seamless. Even when we eventually have employees back in the office, most employees will be working from home one or more days a week. The pandemic has show this can be done and done successfully. Couple that with the ability to save on overhead with less office space, I think its here to stay.
Connecticut businesses have been at the forefront of the work-from-home movement. Years ago I heard that Hartford with all its insurance and finance companies was No. 1 for it. That is why it’s major employers like Aetna, The Hartford and Travelers have been able to shed thousands of square feet of office space over the past two decades. It is also why Connecticut fared much better than other states in unemployment claims during the crisis. I’ve got multiple friends and neighbors who spend at least part of their work week at home. They have had no problems maintaining their jobs. Jay

Old 05-08-2020, 07:39 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut businesses have been at the forefront of the work-from-home movement. Years ago I heard that Hartford with all its insurance and finance companies was No. 1 for it. That is why it’s major employers like Aetna, The Hartford and Travelers have been able to shed thousands of square feet of office space over the past two decades. It is also why Connecticut fared much better than other states in unemployment claims during the crisis. I’ve got multiple friends and neighbors who spend at least part of their work week at home. They have had no problems maintaining their jobs. Jay
It looks like you are correct. Look at this article (dated 4-24-2020) that shows how Covid-19 is affecting the states.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/24/here...ach-state.html

CT has the second LOWEST job losses. YEAH! That is amazing considering our state has the third highest per capita of Covid-19 cases after NY and NJ.

It's because we have an educated workforce that can perform their work at home. I have said this over and over on here....education is the key. All of those states where the real estate taxes are really low and have less money for education are mostly the hardest hit states with unemployment.

States with the worst unemployment
1. New Hampshire (can't figure out why NH is the worst)
2. Louisiana
3. Georgia
4. Kentucky
5. North Carolina
6. Virginia
7. Michigan
8. Indiana
9. North Dakota (this is because of the collapse in oil prices)
10. Florida

States with the least unemployment
50. Oregon
49. Connecticut (Thank God)
48. Alaska
47. Wyoming
46. Wisconsin
45. Vermont (can't figure out why NH is the worst and VT is good)
44. California
43. Illinois
42. Arizona
41. Arkansas

I am going to try to remember to look at this every month to see if this stays the same.

Last edited by CTartist; 05-08-2020 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-08-2020, 07:58 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
This is from May 2nd and CT still looks good. We are still in the lowest color rank.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...153251227.html

Economic Climate in CT-f2c62a90-9078-11ea-aeff-86208360837e.png

Old 05-08-2020, 08:07 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
This is from May 2nd and CT still looks good. We are still in the lowest color rank.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...153251227.html

Attachment 220283
Isn't that because the states with worse numbers on that map locked down later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut