Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 10:26 AM

512 posts, read 351,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Our covid corp task force is not even discussing a return date, and we are actually in the essential category.
Same. My company is also essential and we are staying out of the office indefinitely. It isn't worth the risk to return, both to the employee or to the company liability-wise. People are allowed to go in if they need to because the building is technically open, and when they do they are required to wear a mask in all common areas. I don't see us shutting down the office completely forever, but I do foresee a future where we all commute only 2-3 days/week. Some things are just more productive onsite but a lot of things it just doesn't matter where we are physically located.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:46 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I said this about a month ago to jayct about people leaving big cities all together and commuting in every so often. Lets see how this plays out.

It would be interesting to see how taxes end up being but i still "THINK" if you are working under a company directly but just are based at home then you are still to pay the state taxes where your job is based in/at
It's based on where the work is done. Lots of NH residents that work for MA companies track their WFH days to reduce MA taxes. Their employers have to provide a letter attesting to the days worked in MA.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:02 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It's based on where the work is done. Lots of NH residents that work for MA companies track their WFH days to reduce MA taxes. Their employers have to provide a letter attesting to the days worked in MA.
So not sure if Ny has laws circumventing that.
Possibly could be a huge help to CT state coffers if many FFC people work from home?

Old 05-14-2020, 01:58 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut Governor Says Days of Commuting to NYC May End

Those Monday through Friday commutes from Greenwich, Connecticut, to Wall Street may become a thing of the past.

Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont said the chief executives of some large companies have told him that telecommuting could help them save money by cutting office space by as much as 30%, signaling what may be a national shift by businesses. And with employees already stuck at home for weeks, they realize they can run just as well when they work at home.

About 43,000 people commuted to jobs in New York City in 2017 from Connecticut, whose wealthy communities are particularly attractive to Wall Street bankers

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...mpression=true
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Same content, more readable text from yahoo finance:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/conne...183227412.html

Not surprising, old days of heavy commuting from fairfield county to NYC for jobs are over. Not sure how that will play out on CT economy and impacts on different counties of CT.
This is all very interesting. The work from home movement has been around for about 20 years now. It was very well embraced by Hartford area insurers and finance companies and is likely one of the reasons our state had the lowest number of jobs lost during this crisis. Even a number of New York and Fairfield County companies embraced it allowing workers to work from home one or two days a week. That made commuting from more affordable further out communities a little more acceptable. Now they are doing it almost entirely.

I have a friend who is a working mother and executive for a major Stamford corporation. Before the crisis she would work from home maybe one day a week. She has been fully working from home since this started and it’s worked well. So well in fact that she will be doing that at least through the end of the year. After that she’s thinking she will only go in one day a week. Before this crisis that would have been impossible.

Before this crisis there was starting to be a movement away from working from home. A few of the tech companies were cutting back on it to promote “team building”. Will see if that continues to happen. Jay

Old 05-14-2020, 02:29 PM

184 posts, read 106,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
So not sure if Ny has laws circumventing that.
Possibly could be a huge help to CT state coffers if many FFC people work from home?
I worked from home in CT for a company in MA. My portion of my taxable income was paid my to MA and I got a credit back from CT for that portion. That also meant when I applied for unemployment last year, I had to run it through MA instead of CT.

So while CT may not get the income, they did not have to pay out the unemployment.

That is not saying the NY/CT relationship is the same. I think it really is done on a state to state basis.

Also, like others my current employer (in CT) has decided to let us all continue to work from home until the last week of June. Easier then figuring out how to get everybody back into the building safely.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:55 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
What a difference a couple years make. Connecticut is one of just seven states and the only one in the northeast that Moody’s Analytics rates as being fiscally safe during a moderate recession. That is very good news and shows that the hard work our state has done to improve its finances has paid off. I bet that won’t get nearly the press our state’s financial problems did a couple years ago. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/news/coronavi...s-15270355.php

Old 05-14-2020, 03:06 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
I worked from home in CT for a company in MA. My portion of my taxable income was paid my to MA and I got a credit back from CT for that portion. That also meant when I applied for unemployment last year, I had to run it through MA instead of CT.

So while CT may not get the income, they did not have to pay out the unemployment.

That is not saying the NY/CT relationship is the same. I think it really is done on a state to state basis.

Also, like others my current employer (in CT) has decided to let us all continue to work from home until the last week of June. Easier then figuring out how to get everybody back into the building safely.
Which could possibly be why in other post ct had one of the lowest states as far as unemployment because ny or ma is paying for alot of people unemployment vs ct

Old 05-14-2020, 03:11 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
Same. My company is also essential and we are staying out of the office indefinitely. It isn't worth the risk to return, both to the employee or to the company liability-wise. People are allowed to go in if they need to because the building is technically open, and when they do they are required to wear a mask in all common areas. I don't see us shutting down the office completely forever, but I do foresee a future where we all commute only 2-3 days/week. Some things are just more productive onsite but a lot of things it just doesn't matter where we are physically located.
Our GM must approve anyone coming in, even for a few hours, in the office.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:13 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What a difference a couple years make. Connecticut is one of just seven states and the only one in the northeast that Moody’s Analytics rates as being fiscally safe during a moderate recession. That is very good news and shows that the hard work our state has done to improve its finances has paid off. I bet that won’t get nearly the press our state’s financial problems did a couple years ago. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/news/coronavi...s-15270355.php
Just saw this. The naysayers hate it!

Old 05-14-2020, 03:23 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
She works for an hospital system in the Hartford area. Reason is to not lay the lower end workers off which its still surprising how a hospital is lossing money but i guess anything is possible at this giving time.

Also like i said before, you can make 500k and your lifestyle/expensives are based on that so a 25% reduction would hit hard. The more you make the more you tend to spend
I understand that but people who make big money have more access to money in an emergency. They usually have savings, 401K's, and equity in their houses etc.

My husband and I are middle class in Fairfield County(not upper class like your friend) and even we have access to money to get us through this that the people who make $40,000 to $50,000 a household don't have. Trust me, many middle class people in CT are more lucky than middle class people in many other states.

The hospitals are losing money now because they aren't doing any elective and non-emergency surgeries. Frankly I don't even want to go get any routine tests at the hospital (or imaging centers) until there is a vaccine. The least amount of time I can be near sick people the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut