Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2020, 10:33 AM

6,870 posts, read 3,722,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have an older relative that lives near a so-so hospital in NJ. He had an emergency situation where he had no choice but to go to the nearest hospital. It was so horrifically botched (literally a horror story), that he has several lawsuits against the hospital and has permanent damage that made him unable to work. He was a brilliant doctor, for a final dose of sad irony.

It reminded me why living near someplace like Yale New Haven in the twilight years isn't a bad idea.
Someone close in the NEW HAVEN area had cardiac arrest one night. Local jerkwater regionalized ambulance unit took nealy an hour to get there. Too late. Brain damage. Gone.

It happens in CT too

Old 11-01-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Our state has a plan in place to deal with our pension issues. That has been well documented and discussed here. Those that continue to question this are ultra conservative and do not believe anything less than full funding is acceptable. Full funding though assumes that EVERY person eligible for a pension takes it at the full amount. That is not realistic or what most economists expect or accept. Why do you think the credit rating services have improved our state’s rating. Even with the economic downturn due to the pandemic, this is proving to be a minor problem so far. Jay
Great job.
Yeah, like you've only explained that 17,000 other times on here, and right in this very thread.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:17 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
For senior retirees its probably best to leave. Lower COL and taxes are a big factor. They don't care about education. You don't know everyone's defintion of quality of life. For some it might be year round golf and sailing and fishing.
If a senior has particular health issues where Yale New Haven doctors are noted for then it may behoove them to stick around CT for the golden years. Other seniors may be fine with healthcare around the nation.

If it becomes a financial burden for seniors to come back and visit for every single last distant friend and relatives weddings, birthdays, funerals, then yes, its probably best to remain nutmeggars.
Only those that have severely limited retirement resources should consider leaving. That likely is a limited number of people. The rest should decide what works best for them and their families based on a wider range of factors.

As someone who had to deal with elderly family members from a distance, I can tell you that it is not easy. It may be fine for the first years but then it gets harder as the years go by and you become more dependent on others. People also forget to consider the cost in both time and money of traveling back and forth for various reasons like family events and wellness checks.

Also, it’s pretty certain that you will have medical issues at some point as you age so access to good healthcare is imperative. These should be a person’s most important criteria when deciding where to live in retirement. Connecticut is No. 3 for health. We have great healthcare including a Top 20 hospital. Plus we are not far from several other Top 20 hospitals in Boston and New York. You do not find that in most low cost of living areas.

Another thing that retirees should consider is access to social services. Low cost of living areas rarely have them or they are difficult, if not impossible to get. People don’t think they need them but if you are not near family or friends, it will be pretty hard or very expensive without them.

I realize this is not an easy decision to make but it shouldn’t be simply moving to a lower cost or warmer area. Jay

Old 11-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Only those that have severely limited retirement resources should consider leaving. That likely is a limited number of people. The rest should decide what works best for them and their families based on a wider range of factors.

As someone who had to deal with elderly family members from a distance, I can tell you that it is not easy. It may be fine for the first years but then it gets harder as the years go by and you become more dependent on others. People also forget to consider the cost in both time and money of traveling back and forth for various reasons like family events and wellness checks.

Also, it’s pretty certain that you will have medical issues at some point as you age so access to good healthcare is imperative. These should be a person’s most important criteria when deciding where to live in retirement. Connecticut is No. 3 for health. We have great healthcare including a Top 20 hospital. Plus we are not far from several other Top 20 hospitals in Boston and New York. You do not find that in most low cost of living areas.

Another thing that retirees should consider is access to social services. Low cost of living areas rarely have them or they are difficult, if not impossible to get. People don’t think they need them but if you are not near family or friends, it will be pretty hard or very expensive without them.

I realize this is not an easy decision to make but it shouldn’t be simply moving to a lower cost or warmer area. Jay
For many it's very simple. Weather and golf.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:00 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Someone close in the NEW HAVEN area had cardiac arrest one night. Local jerkwater regionalized ambulance unit took nealy an hour to get there. Too late. Brain damage. Gone.

It happens in CT too
I agree. I have had alot of issues with yale. I actually still have things going on with them 6 years later, but it can be any hospital in any state

Old 11-01-2020, 06:27 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,341,066 times
Quote:
Our state has a plan in place to deal with our pension issues.
Where is the plan so I can see it.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:22 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
Quote:
Our state has a plan in place to deal with our pension issues. That has been well documented and discussed here. Those that continue to question this are ultra conservative and do not believe anything less than full funding is acceptable. Full funding though assumes that EVERY person eligible for a pension takes it at the full amount. That is not realistic or what most economists expect or accept. Why do you think the credit rating services have improved our state’s rating. Even with the economic downturn due to the pandemic, this is proving to be a minor problem so far. Jay
You mean SABEC? Yeah still not funded. I've already personally seen people move out of Connecticut for retirement. As I mentioned before there is the pensions being taxed even a small amount. But you also have to figure there's no limit to the increase in property taxes which have a direct impact on those that are retired. If there's no limit and you've order a state that limits it to two and a half percent that's where they going to go to retire. When I hear places like New London that tried to raise taxes 9% that is just insane.

in the state of Connecticut there is no set of checks and balances that keeps either taxes limited or spending limited. Until one of these changes there will be no change in the other. The unions were promised too much.

As for the Wall Street vs welfare Concepts ask yourself why the major insurers in the Hartford metro area have not provided $0.01 as part of the insurance industry 2018 problems but they've all agreed to help out the city of Hartford financially. To be frank I don't think the city of Hartford as well run but the fact of the matter is is that cities are going to be more sustainable than your suburban areas which frankly aren't nearly as growing as much outside of Fairfield County. The mayor of Hartford is correct in saying that the state should not have as many towns for no reason. The state of Connecticut remove County government long ago but it would probably be better suited to start some words some of these towns because the populations are just not sustainable. Who for example wants to move to Scotland or create some business there? If we want people to move back to the offices chances are they want that to be in the city rather than a suburban area because there's simply more things there.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:54 PM

I have deleted a series of off topic comments that began with my comment on retiring in our state. I should not have run with it and had I realized the comments it would have caused I would not have made it. Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-02-2020, 06:58 PM

A private jet management and maintenance firm is proposing to build a $20 million facility at Waterbury Oxford Airport. It will bring as many as 100 jobs. Nice. Jay

https://www.newhavenbiz.com/article/...oxford-airport

Old 11-02-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Where is the plan so I can see it.
https://www.courant.com/politics/cap...hx4-story.html

https://www.ai-cio.com/news/connecti...state-pension/

https://www.ai-cio.com/news/new-conn...pension-bonds/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut