Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2020, 07:51 PM

33,887 posts, read 16,941,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
You beat me to it, I just saw. I know of people there that had some nice perks. Free Disneyworld tickets

Retailer Pet Valu is closing. It isn't pet smart or petco but a smaller 3rd.

http://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/04/pet-v...perations.html

I would not want to be a commercial real estate agent right now that's for sure.
Real Estate will be awful (commercial) for many years.

Old 11-05-2020, 08:47 PM

145 posts, read 78,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
We started this thread when my daughter was in pre-K. Now she is in high school. Thread now has over 1500 pages, approaching 1,600.

There have been many rebuttals and back-and-forth. Commenters have posted studies, we have dissected numbers, scrutinized sources, clarified definitions, and on and on.

For example, we debated ad nauseam what “high level” of healthcare really means, and how different sources use those terms based in certain premises. For example, some sources assign an heavier weight to for example, how much a state funds Medicaid. We ridiculed another source for example that put an inverse value between charter schools and yardstick of “public education”

Frankly, some posters (like me) got tired of the same old same old and just moved on.
That’s fair. I will say that there is a significant amount of doom and gloom about CT. I get the sense Jay is pushing back on that common narrative rather than the other way around.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:47 AM

33,887 posts, read 16,941,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
You beat me to it, I just saw. I know of people there that had some nice perks. Free Disneyworld tickets

Retailer Pet Valu is closing. It isn't pet smart or petco but a smaller 3rd.

http://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/04/pet-v...perations.html

I would not want to be a commercial real estate agent right now that's for sure.
I expected this also. Glad it did not occur months ago, nor affect more yet.

ESPN ratings are, of course, harshly affected, by very few meaningful big games since Covid.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:38 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,478,381 times
Off topic, but wow! I started in 2013. I can tell you exactly where I was when I wrote this thread. I went back and read some of the older posts...I was nasty at a young age.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:53 AM

184 posts, read 105,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I expected this also. Glad it did not occur months ago, nor affect more yet.

ESPN ratings are, of course, harshly affected, by very few meaningful big games since Covid.
Covid plays a piece, but really ESPN is past its prime now. With every major sport having their own network, plus competition out there with Fox Sports and NBCSports and regional networks (NESN, YES), they end up having to throw more money at sporting rights, broadcasters, and "old athletes who can give their opinions".

Plus you also have to add in people cutting the cord with cable and not necessarily getting a package that includes ESPN, that is more lost revenue.

A fan of any of the major 4 sports, (or golf if that is your thing) is not going to go to ESPN for information about their league, they are going to head to that sports dedicated network.

Same thing with highlights. Who needs to watch Sports Center when you can check the internet and find what you are looking for instead of watching that for a hour wondering if they will show the game you are interested in? Or again, go to that sports dedicated network.

Everyone for years has been blaming the announcers politics, and now we have COVID for ESPN's demise. Really, its just been the model has changed, and the folks that own them have been unable to find a way to adapt. Capitalism folks. That is what has happened to ESPN.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:14 AM

8,951 posts, read 6,231,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
Covid plays a piece, but really ESPN is past its prime now. With every major sport having their own network, plus competition out there with Fox Sports and NBCSports and regional networks (NESN, YES), they end up having to throw more money at sporting rights, broadcasters, and "old athletes who can give their opinions".

Plus you also have to add in people cutting the cord with cable and not necessarily getting a package that includes ESPN, that is more lost revenue.

A fan of any of the major 4 sports, (or golf if that is your thing) is not going to go to ESPN for information about their league, they are going to head to that sports dedicated network.

Same thing with highlights. Who needs to watch Sports Center when you can check the internet and find what you are looking for instead of watching that for a hour wondering if they will show the game you are interested in? Or again, go to that sports dedicated network.

Everyone for years has been blaming the announcers politics, and now we have COVID for ESPN's demise. Really, its just been the model has changed, and the folks that own them have been unable to find a way to adapt. Capitalism folks. That is what has happened to ESPN.
COVID most likely just accelerated the timing of these layoffs. The cable ecosystem was setup in a way that subscribers not interested in sports helped to subsidize ESPN as well as the whole professional sports market. When streaming fully supplants cable, that subsidization disappears and not only will ESPN have even more layoffs, the sports leagues will also have to take a haircut.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:27 AM

7,915 posts, read 7,782,738 times
I agree although sometimes it feels like going back and forth.

First we had really general content like the wild world of sports. Back then tv would "eventually" get to what you want. How many variety shows exist today? anyway then once cable came out we had more specific channels but the ratings weren't there so there was consolidation which led to contract gridlock. Long ago I had a friend that his dad worked across from yankee stadium but he couldn't get the game. Yes network had issues I think with time warner.

So now we have streaming and Quibi just went under. How many channels can we have? Shutter, Amazon, Youtube, Netflix, Peacock, Hulu etc. Every cable channel has it's own direct channel on platforms.

Ultimately I think professional sports is just going to be a video game in another five years.Graphics kept improving. Add VR or AR into it and you might be able to mimic the game.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:34 PM

4,425 posts, read 3,317,672 times
To avoid a deep recession 'we need some sort of relief package': Connecticut governor.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...193526759.html

Old 11-06-2020, 08:21 PM

208 posts, read 113,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
To avoid a deep recession 'we need some sort of relief package': Connecticut governor.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...193526759.html
That is: he wants the states who have done a better job fiscally to bail out Connecticut.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:34 PM

21,592 posts, read 31,104,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike320 View Post
That is: he wants the states who have done a better job fiscally to bail out Connecticut.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut