Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 07:24 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Gomp, you tell 'em! Spoken like a true CT state bureaucrat! Keep it coming!
Gotta tell you-- I'm no bureaucrat. I'm probably one of the more seasoned entrepreneurs here and Gromp has a point.

All this negativity and gloating over negative economic news has a deleterious effect. Denying the positives of the state while screaming only about the perceived negatives is irritating and non-constructive.

Now that the budget is being pulled back and that the tax increases likely reversed, what can you do to help the situation instead of making dozens of posts from out of state?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:52 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Gotta tell you-- what can you do to help the situation instead of making dozens of posts from out of state?
This is a relocation forum. It's for people to gather information about a location they're interested in--good or bad--not a grass roots forum to change economies, politics, real estate or anything else. It's actually kind of absurd that you would even say that to this person.

In fact, I would say the exact opposite is more the case. If CT spent less time sucking,this forum wouldn't have a plethora of negative posts all day. Believe it or not, there's forums from other states that might see one negative post a week and never of the scale and magnitude of a CT thread because it's often something trivial--not billion dollar tax increases, mass exodus, corporate threats, etc etc etc.

Spend a few days in other state threads and see for yourself. They actually find time to make recommendations for people. and there's people actually asking for recommendations...

Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
This is a relocation forum. It's for people to gather information about a location they're interested in--good or bad--not a grass roots forum to change economies, politics, real estate or anything else. It's actually kind of absurd that you would even say that to this person.
We can have both topics here and this is the perfect place for state politics. If you made this post in politics forum regarding taxes and Malloy it would just get bounced back here.

People in some other states are all in agreement (at least the posters) so there's no arguments like here in which we certainly are not in agreement.
When people don't agree with you then you know you're onto something. I don't need people patting me on the back all the time.

All the rhetoric is silly. It boils down to Malloy likes taxes so he's a commie and commies hate freedom.

For the people who hate taxes you can experience tax free countries/societies TODAY. Get on a plane and leave. Live there for a few months then report back and let us know how it worked out.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
*Perceived* negatives made me chuckle....

Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You know nothing about Europe and Canada. Go read other pages in this thread about them.
I don't get my info from forum posters. I go to the source.

Canada and European countries all have, income taxes, sales taxes (aka VAT taxes), and corp taxes. I don't know why someone would think differently this info is VERY easy to obtain and verify.

America does not have a national sales tax aka VAT tax and I doubt we ever will because those other countries are run by commies.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
. Denying the positives of the state
LOL! 20k great paying jobs at risk. Do you think you adding 1 more next year offsets that? Or Amazon's 500 dreamy $14 an hour jobs?

Ct via the last few weeks has become the poster child laughed at on business shows and mags.

Even by Malloy standards, this was idiotic.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Now that the budget is being pulled back and that the tax increases likely reversed, what can you do to help the situation instead of making dozens of posts from out of state?
Just $220 mill reversed of over 1 billion new taxes.

When your supplier goes up 30% and then cuts the increase to 25%, do you thank him?

Old 06-14-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
LOL! 20k great paying jobs at risk. Do you think you adding 1 more next year offsets that? Or Amazon's 500 dreamy $14 an hour jobs?

Ct via the last few weeks has become the poster child laughed at on business shows and mags.

Even by Malloy standards, this was idiotic.
As unfortunate as it would be to see jobs leaving the state-- and that is far from a surety-- Connecticut has been very good to me and my business.

We've taken advantage of several programs that have lowered our tax burden, helped us hire new employees and continue to grow rapidly. Multimedia tax credit, step up program and CTNext have all been beneficial to my business.

Macroeconomics make trends, but people live in the microeconomic level. Nep is moving to one of these low cost havens you love-- and taking almost a one-third paycut-- And that's with below national average unemployment and rapid growth.

Home appreciation has been a major boon to my family in different parts of the state. While our relatives in Florida saw their home value double-- from 120K to 240K, family members here saw an appreciation of 500K in the same period. When you down size and retire-- that makes a difference.

Again, your act is tiresome. Other states have issues too, and nobody's future lays in manufacturing. I feel for the people potentially effected by this, but the state will survive and flourish.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post

In fact, I would say the exact opposite is more the case. If CT spent less time sucking,this forum wouldn't have a plethora of negative posts all day. Believe it or not, there's forums from other states that might see one negative post a week and never of the scale and magnitude of a CT thread because it's often something trivial--not billion dollar tax increases, mass exodus, corporate threats, etc etc etc.

Spend a few days in other state threads and see for yourself. They actually find time to make recommendations for people. and there's people actually asking for recommendations...
There is no mass exodus. That's hyperbolic and silly. Detroit is a mass exodus.

I'm sorry you can't seem to make it work here. Millions of others do.

Yes, this is a relo forum, but, participating in it doesn't mean you can't help the economy move forward-- For example, have you contacted your legislators? Have you participated in a local economic forum? How about mentoring students in your area of expertise?

Maybe if you did something positive your attitude wouldn't be so negative.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff;40021572

[B
Other states have issues too[/b]

Not to this degree,

Name one other state where 3 of its largest employers threatened them, either via relo committees, or press releases pondering their future in that state.

This is the gold standard of alienating the tax base that matters. GE corp is no doubt at minimum a few hundred k median salary * 800 employees, which would equal about 250 businesses gross payrolls like yours assuming you paid typical salaries for your staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut