Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 07:06 PM

33,906 posts, read 16,958,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Since we are talking generalities here and hypothetical situations, this data should be fine. The link contains some good information.

According to this Fairfield County had 455,822 jobs in 2013 of which 412,183 are held by Connecticut residents. Table 3A breaks down what Connecticut county these workers live in. Obviously the vast majority of them (335,872) live in Fairfield County itself however a total 58,319 of the live in New Haven County, 12,458 in Litchfield County and 3,058 in Hartford County. This may sound like a lot but remember New Haven and Hartford counties are pretty big.
Interesting- 9.6% New Yorkers in FFC jobs (100% - (455822-412183) ).

Old 08-31-2021, 07:57 PM

34,842 posts, read 56,765,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
You have to adjust things in terms of per capita income but you also have to look at the gini coefficient. I'm not sure where everybody learn their stats but to make the argument that everybody is Apple in Connecticut I don't see it here in Tolland County I don't see it over in Windham County. I pass by empty houses everyday I don't mean empty as if there's nobody in there and it's for sale I mean like it's the lapid dated I could take photos if you want. I see places without streetlights I see places that are flooded without adequate drainage in the streets. People that stay called The Quiet corner but it's actually the Forgotten corner. I didn't even bring up Hartford. When most people talk about Hartford they're really talking about West Hartford. They're not going to say the North End of Hartford or discussing what to do with Hartford school that actually have to be demolished to the pcbs. They also aren't talking about the foundation problem which prevents homes from even being livable. It's a gradual process that eventually they're going to be working through but it has the potential to take tens of thousands of homes out.

I see people that have botanical gardens growing out of the gutters of their house. Don't even get me started about weeds 3 4 5 ft tall. A house two house is down the street from me is selling for 205k and it's been on the market for more than a half year. I have another neighbor that's a professional and he's actually living in the house and he's also renting out and he's doing the great job.

So yes you're right Fairfield County does have a great economy it is a great place I'm not arguing against it. But it also has the highest population growth of the whole state. If you don't have population growth it's much harder for other things to grow.

We can talk about luxury markets and selling yachts and Mansions I'm not debating that at all obviously it's rich people that buy those things. But if you don't have enough kids in the school district you're going to have to raise taxes to make it work. If your sewer systems have a drop and usage you're going to have to raise rates on everybody else (which was a concern in Amherst when umass went virtual).

I'm not crying or suffering here. Between my investments in my income I am probably above six figures this year (pre-tax) but I certainly can't say that many of the people of the area and the region and other parts of the state. I'm not to the left at all but sometimes you can't ignore tends.I was at Buckland Hills mall the other day and they opened up a DCF office there. It's about a fifth empty but is that a good sign? The A&P in Storrs closed and is a dollar general. Storrs Center isn't exactly awash with shops despite being the largest public campus in the state. 220 million in private investment faded with time. It's nice that at the time it look nice and flashy and was instagrammable but the fact of the matter remains is Amazon pulled out and you end up with liquor stores and nail salons that were probably already there beforehand.

What gives me confidence in an area is the sustainability of its middle class and its harder to see that in CT. Yes there are many affluent people, no argument there. But there are many bring left behind. I'm not advocating for higher taxes or programs but simply recognition.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ni_coefficient
Yet another ridiculous rambling rant. I’m in both Tolland and Windham Counties a lot and I have never seen an abundance of abandoned properties. In fact I find these counties to be pretty well maintained. While they don’t have Fairfield County affluence, I will once again remind you both counties have median family and household incomes above the US median. They are hardly poor or “forgotten”.

I’m not sure what streetlights have to do with anything. Remember they cause “light pollution” which interferes with our ability to see stars. Many towns have ordinances against them including Glastonbury which is hardly a poor town by any measure. As for flooding I would love to know what areas you are talking about. I know we’ve had some flooding issues but I don’t know of any that really have caused the abandonment of sections of towns in either Tolland or Windham County.

Have you even been to Storrs Center? I doubt it from your description because pre-pandemic, it was pretty active with nice restaurants, businesses and upscale apartments. Nothing like you describe.

As for the A&P store, that supermarket chain closed all of its stores in Connecticut decades ago. It has long been a troubled company. It’s the classic case of a store failing to keep up with the times and to sufficiently invest to upgrade its stores to modern standards. I will remind you though that Storrs has a beautiful newer Price Chopper right in the middle of it. It does a great business. In addition there’s a beautiful Big Y a couple miles south of Storrs in Mansfield Center and another a couple miles west in Tolland. There’s hardly a shortage modern supermarkets in the area.

I’m not going to argue with you about the middle class in Connecticut. Despite what you think it’s as alive and well as anywhere. I have never agreed with the methodology of the Gini Coefficient. It seems to make affluence a bad thing. CTartist has done a great job debunking your concerns about income yet again. Overall this has gotten to the absurd so I am done arguing with you. Have a good night. Jay

Old 08-31-2021, 10:49 PM

21,596 posts, read 31,119,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Since we are talking generalities here and hypothetical situations, this data should be fine. The link contains some good information.

According to this Fairfield County had 455,822 jobs in 2013 of which 412,183 are held by Connecticut residents. Table 3A breaks down what Connecticut county these workers live in. Obviously the vast majority of them (335,872) live in Fairfield County itself however a total 58,319 of the live in New Haven County, 12,458 in Litchfield County and 3,058 in Hartford County. This may sound like a lot but remember New Haven and Hartford counties are pretty big.

New Haven County has about 863,000 people so those workers represent only about 6.7% of the population. That’s not a lot really so I find it highly doubtful those few Fairfield County workers bring the median income of New Haven County that much.

Litchfield County has about 187,000 people. That means the 12,458 people that work in Fairfield County also only accounts for about 6.7% of the county. Again not really that much. Finally Hartford County has about 898,000 people so the 3,058 Fairfield County workers the represent a minuscule 0.34% of the population.

Given all this is theoretical, it’s really a waste of time to argue over it. Jay
You can’t look at it as a percent of total population, but percent of working population. 58k NHC residents commuting to FFC is pretty significant.

80,000 jobs disappearing would be quite a hit to the rest of the state’s median HHI, especially considering many are likely moderate to high incomes. Again, tough to argue otherwise.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:36 AM

4,530 posts, read 6,778,919 times
The fact of the matter is that Connecticut has nearly 100,000 open jobs posted yet it has one of the highest unemployment rates in the US. It cannot be on the wage-earning tax payers to provide generous benefits to those who are not interested in working. Businesses will not choose Connecticut if they cannot fill positions at competitive wages and if a restaurant, retailer, or local service provider, they cannot be overly burdened with high costs to operate here which makes it impossible for them to be competitive.

Covid should not be used as leverage to rewrite the employer/employee work contract, restructure benefits, and usher in higher wages. The hardship caused by Covid has impacted many local businesses, especially restaurants, irreparably. Many restaurants have either gone out of business, significantly cut back menus and hours, and/or significantly raised prices.

The first step is getting people back to work and/or retrained to fill the tens of thousands of open positions.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:34 AM

33,906 posts, read 16,958,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

Covid should not be used as leverage to rewrite the employer/employee work contract, restructure benefits, and usher in higher wages. The hardship caused by Covid has impacted many local businesses, especially restaurants, irreparably. Many restaurants have either gone out of business, significantly cut back menus and hours, and/or significantly raised prices.

Looking forward to a few weeks from now, as the bonus $300 in UI compensation and eviction moratoriums go away, so we revert to normal free market considerations on the labor market again.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:52 PM

21,653 posts, read 27,964,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The fact of the matter is that Connecticut has nearly 100,000 open jobs posted yet it has one of the highest unemployment rates in the US. It cannot be on the wage-earning tax payers to provide generous benefits to those who are not interested in working. Businesses will not choose Connecticut if they cannot fill positions at competitive wages and if a restaurant, retailer, or local service provider, they cannot be overly burdened with high costs to operate here which makes it impossible for them to be competitive.

The first step is getting people back to work and/or retrained to fill the tens of thousands of open positions.
Agreed.

I never agreed with blanket stimulus after the first emergency payment. Congress wasted so much time that by the time it was out there, much of the world had adapted.

We should have targeted it to specific industries hurt most, and the businesses and people affected, vs. blanket payments to everyone.

Old 09-01-2021, 02:55 PM

6,779 posts, read 3,666,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Looking forward to a few weeks from now, as the bonus $300 in UI compensation and eviction moratoriums go away, so we revert to normal free market considerations on the labor market again.
I would have to agree. It's run it's course.

Old 09-02-2021, 05:28 PM

4,428 posts, read 3,321,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Interesting- 9.6% New Yorkers in FFC jobs (100% - (455822-412183) ).

When I worked in Stamford I worked with a lot of people who came from Westchester. I worked at two buildings close to the train station and I met a lot of New Yorkers on the elevators and in the buildings.

I have quite a few cousins that move to the area above Greenwich and Stamford in Westchester and come down to FFC to work. For instance if you are living in Stamford and you want to be close but have a good school system it's not such a bad idea.

South Salem House $592,000
Katona House $899,000
Mount Kisco $635,000
Greenwich House $2.3 million
Darien House $1.7 million
New Canaan House $1.7 million
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...an_CT/overview

Old 09-07-2021, 12:09 PM

.....and so it begins.

"Solugen, a Houston-based chemicals startup backed by top Silicon Valley investors, plans to open a new R&D facility outside of Texas......We've come to the conclusion after talking to lots of candidates that they want to join Solugen but they don't feel comfortable coming to Texas, so for us it's become a no brainer to have R&D facilities elsewhere.......most of those expected to be located in a new facility that it will locate in either California or Massachusetts." (Good for you MA, what's good for our neighbor is good for us too)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-sta...161751839.html

Do you think companies like this are going to other Republican states where this could happen? No way. CT just might be the beneficiary of a lot of these companies jumping ship from deep red states.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

I never had to worry about this because Roe V Wade (1973) was before I became an adult/teenager. Here is about how 50% (woman) under age 65-70 in most of the US feels......

Elon Musk has said NOTHING about what is going in in Texas. I wouldn't buy a Tesla is it was the only car sold in the US. If he ever goes up in space again I hope he just drifts into outer space and never comes back. And that goes for all of the other companies in TX who re NOT speaking out.

Last edited by CTartist; 09-07-2021 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-11-2021, 11:40 AM

"Connecticut's governor takes a swipe at Texas abortion ban, urges pro-women businesses to move to the Nutmeg State"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/connectic...150022077.html

Sell it Lamont! You sell it honey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut