Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2022, 04:29 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You do realize that Pratt & Whitney is the worlds largest and most respected commercial and defense jet engine manufacturers so it’s not completely reliant on government contracts.

Still I’m not sure why that matters. Government work like defense jet engines and submarines is more reliable than commercial work which are subject to economic downturns in the economy. Electric Boat has a very long term government contract that is the core of our country’s plan to expand and modernize its submarine fleet. This is a decades long plan that provides very high quality jobs. The ideal situation is to have a mixture of both commercial and government reliant work which is what we have here. Hard to get better than that. Jay
It might not be 100% on it but if the majority is on it then yes that is some concern. You do remember that back in the early nineties there was a significant amount of layoffs in the state due to budget cuts by the Department of Defense. There are many cities that I can tell you about that were known for literally one industry and when that industry declined it led to significant layoffs and significantly increasing the amount of poverty. While the stage was Diversified the likelihood of somebody going from one Community to another was pretty small. Likewise I don't think somebody's going to go from a finance job in Fairfield County to a manufacturing job at New London or go from some Maritime job in New Haven to an insurance job in Hartford.

Generally with government we usually have guns or butter but not both. Ever looking to do build back better it's going to probably come at the expense of something else being cut and that usually is Department of Defense. Just like I know of communities have military bases and I would generally recommend contingency plans should have base closed. The United States has not had a BRAC hearing since the mid-1990s but if they're looking to cut spending that's probably where they're going to go.

I don't think factories are 100% fact it or military work but if they are they should be able to be repurposed we did the same thing in World War 2. I just would be very careful about any area where most of the revenue is coming from one source.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:04 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
There has been conflicting reports on whether Connecticut’s film industry tax credits were working or not. A new study says they are. Jay

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...ela-story.html

Old 02-12-2022, 11:53 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
There has been conflicting reports on whether Connecticut’s film industry tax credits were working or not. A new study says they are. Jay

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...ela-story.html
I work “in the biz” to some extent and can tell you, when we do a production (usually in LA, sometimes in Florida or Texas), we spend a TON of money. Not just on crew and productions, but hotels, meals, transportation, etc. It’s absolutely a lucrative thing to attract. Georgia has made out like a bandit.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:31 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I work “in the biz” to some extent and can tell you, when we do a production (usually in LA, sometimes in Florida or Texas), we spend a TON of money. Not just on crew and productions, but hotels, meals, transportation, etc. It’s absolutely a lucrative thing to attract. Georgia has made out like a bandit.
I can vouch for that, as an ex lives where many episodes of Dexter, plus many movies were filmed, in a very small town (bunch of them actually were positively affected) in Western Massachusetts. Numerous businesses thrived because of such activity.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:55 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
I'm not against tax credits for things but I think it really depends on the duration and amount. Remember the debates on having the Olympics in Boston? It wasn't so much anti olympics but that the money could be better spent.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:24 AM

837 posts, read 506,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm not against tax credits for things but I think it really depends on the duration and amount. Remember the debates on having the Olympics in Boston? It wasn't so much anti olympics but that the money could be better spent.
Yeah, I was living there at the time. Nobody wanted to spend the money on it. It was clear to everyone that the ROI was terrible and we didn't need it boost the city profile. It's already the Hub of the Universe.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
And that is it’s purpose. We tend to forget the amount of productions done here. The biggest is ESPN which is based in Bristol. They employ thousands. NBC Sports is based in Stamford. Their Olympic Winter Games coverage is being broadcast from Stamford. Then in Stamford you have the NBC Universal Media Center where shoes like Judge Jerry, The Steve Wilkos Show and The Maury Show are filmed. And Hallmark always seems to have a couple movies being filmed here. Add in other less known productions and our small state has quite a nice small slice of it. Jay

Old 02-16-2022, 06:22 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
And that is it’s purpose. We tend to forget the amount of productions done here. The biggest is ESPN which is based in Bristol. They employ thousands. NBC Sports is based in Stamford. Their Olympic Winter Games coverage is being broadcast from Stamford. Then in Stamford you have the NBC Universal Media Center where shoes like Judge Jerry, The Steve Wilkos Show and The Maury Show are filmed. And Hallmark always seems to have a couple movies being filmed here. Add in other less known productions and our small state has quite a nice small slice of it. Jay
A lot of Netflix and Prime productions too. They go under the radar but there’s several a year. We should encourage more. It’s killer for the economy.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:53 PM

Foxwoods announced a major expansion with Great Wolf Lodge that will include a resort with an indoor water park. Nice addition to their resort as they try to appeal to families. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/ledyar...vations-report

Old 02-17-2022, 07:15 AM

538 posts, read 331,104 times
Quote:
Foxwoods announced a major expansion with Great Wolf Lodge that will include a resort with an indoor water park. Nice addition to their resort as they try to appeal to families. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/ledyar...vations-report
That's great, my kids love Great Wolf lodge. It will be nice to have one a bit closer for a quick fun getaway for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut