Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2022, 04:45 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREInvestor View Post
The City of New York stands starkly in contrast to this assertion. Connecticut has 189 warring fiefdoms, which employ 100x more people than necessary. We do not need 189 assessor's offices that use mass appraisal software.

NYC government is a disaster. This is the city which is making putting doors on subway tracks look like Star Wars. The city where heavy rainstorms create subway station rivers. The city where just today a man was killed, in broad daylight, 1 block from a police station.

Pick a functioning role model for your silly theories.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:32 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
The City of New York stands starkly in contrast to this assertion. Connecticut has 189 warring fiefdoms, which employ 100x more people than necessary. We do not need 189 assessor's offices that use mass appraisal software.

I'd assume you typo'd it, but you did it twice. Unless you're counting villages, but there's more than 20 of them.

Quote:
never mind basic urban amenities like a Whole Foods.
So Whole Foods, which charges more than MSRP for many of their items (thus earning the nickname "Whole Paycheck") is a "basic urban amenity"?!

Now I've heard it all! (where's the rolling on the floor laughing dude?)

Old 05-02-2022, 07:15 AM

250 posts, read 138,700 times
Quote:
Connecticut is uniquely poised to be a powerhouse as the global economy changes away from globalist manufacturing to local manufacturing.
????

Old 05-02-2022, 07:31 AM

570 posts, read 477,231 times
Default Pay laws

That's nice about industrial jobs. Anyone see a problem with technology jobs? Here is a cloud engineer remote job. Anyone notice some states missing? CT and CO are two. Pay transparency laws are reason. Not sure anyone paying attention to this but CO is a year ahead and already lists of hundreds of corps who won't hire remote there

The Home Depot is able to offer virtual employment of this position in the following states: AL, AK, AZ, AR, DE, DC, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY.

https://www.coloradoexcluded.com/

Old 05-02-2022, 09:09 AM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:

Connecticut can be an industrial powerhouse again
Connecticut is uniquely poised to be a powerhouse as the global economy changes away from globalist manufacturing to local manufacturing.
Right after the Horse & Buggy returns as the primary means of transportation.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:48 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
This is epic. According to Governor Lamont, the state is about to make a record $3.5 billion advanced payment to the state’s pension funds. That’s on top of the $1.6 billion in advanced payments made last year. That’s incredible news. $5.1 billion in advanced payments will go a long way to reduce future payments into the pension funds. Jay

https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-...venue-Forecast

https://www.osc.ct.gov/public/news/r.../20211215.html

Old 05-02-2022, 06:56 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is epic. According to Governor Lamont, the state is about to make a record $3.5 billion advanced payment to the state’s pension funds. That’s on top of the $1.6 billion in advanced payments made last year. That’s incredible news. $5.1 billion in advanced payments will go a long way to reduce future payments into the pension funds. Jay

Smart move. CT has seen a major wind fall in the last couple years from stock market, housing taxes, CoVID money. All that together is putting huge bucks in CT pockets. I think the government is starting to see cracks in the foundation and recession talks are back on. With FFC influenced by the market, if they can use this money to get some debt off the books in preparation of a slow down which in turn would equal less money and this the need to raise taxes, this is a very smart move by the CT lawmakers.

Don’t say this often, but kudos CT lawmakers. Forward thinking which will only have positive impacts on future Ct.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:52 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:

We don't need 189 school superintendents to manage our dwindling number of children.

Infrastructure planning is clearly impossible in the state.

Connecticut is regarded as one of the most effective state governments in the country. The state now has the second highest bond rating. And you cannot tell me county governance was abolished coincidentally a year after school segregation was banned. The huge amount of waste having nearly two hundred separate governmental agencies manage what can be done with one or eight is absurd. This alone would lower tax burdens significantly.

You may prefer the status quo, but young people do not nor do employers. We are losing insurance companies because Newark is a safer, more exciting place to live with the high rise apartments employees want next to competitors like Prudential, never mind basic urban amenities like a Whole Foods.

Connecticut is no longer the destination of choice for the ultrarich, which have remained stagnant in numbers and is evidenced by the low median home sale price VS many other areas. Places like Avon, once world renowned can barely be called upper middle class.

Places like Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Denver, San Francisco, DC, and all of Florida transformed over the past 20 years. Connecticut has, with only a few exceptions, been stagnant or declined.

As for the cross sound link - it is industrial freight that is most important, however the extraordinary decline in metro north service will hurt the state if Manhattan becomes a major employment center again.

As for the wealthy towns you mention, nowhere in America had increased density by heavy rail caused migration. Connecticut housing is largely economically unsustainable, and the cheap prices of mansions in the area you mention make it clear demand on the part of the ultra rich isn't there.

And you missed the point about Maryland. The state is typically tied with Connecticut as having the highest median household income with comparable social services, yet it achieves this despite enormous hurdles like Baltimore, which while losing population is starting to put Connecticut cities to shame. And the only economic driver they have is Healthcare. Baltimore has a Whole Foods near John Hopkins Hospital while New Haven does not?

The Yankee Spirit is emboldened in the Preamble of the Constitution - for ourselves and our posterity. How absurd is it that yours is a common view in the Constitution State? You seem to have no care at all for future generations, only yourself.

Uh I can kinda agree but it depends. In many respects small towns don't have much of a future because of the economy of scale. Technology works to lower price and government doesn't. Government services exist because the economy of scale before technology was used. Not everything requires manual labor. For example my trash service is three guys and a truck. One to drive and two to dump the trash in it. My folks in Mass live in a more populated area and it's one. The fork goes into the trash and flips it and then drives to other. Likewise if you have towns that aren't growing eventually they'll have to share services.

Infrastructure planning is possible. Just put it under the state that's all. The state government is extremely weak.I've never really heard of Avon CT. I grew up in Mass and outside of the urban areas and those that surround it I've never heard of Avon.

Um western mass also has a whole foods in hadley. Retail looks at a number of things 1) security budget, 2) competition 3) wages etc. New Haven is filled with students. Students are debt machines. Food is subsidized, housing is subsidized, transit is subsidized. Yes eventually it pays off but the result of restaurants, bars clubs and t shirt shops are largely low wages..that's why. You are confusing median income of new haven vs the whole state.

The fact of the matter is there isn't that much tying anything to stay in CT, including people. So if an employer leaves it's fine and the people will leave and again it's fine. You make it sound like moving is impossible.

Heck the local governments themselves are weak because there's so many ways around them. About half of a local budget is usually a school district. School districts are now a moot point because of the birth rate. Add in the low immigration rate and it leads to a brain drain. Low wage, low skilled work is what is probably what is growing the most in the state. I've seen nice antique stores become cumberland farms. Decent middle class supermarkets become dollar generals, nice ice cream places by the ocean side because Subway restaurants etc.I've seen so much bickering and fighting in small towns in the state that frankly businesses are pulling out or selling to cut and run. Finance and insurance jobs can be done nearly anywhere. Keep in mind many of the deals you see to keep jobs in the state are not saying that they'd actually be in a given area 100% of the time let alone in one town. So let's say you think it's 300+ jobs in downtown hartford and then it turns out it's really 300 scattered with a bulk working from home in bridgeport. Now it's your manufactures that hold more sway than these industries. If they can't really find people they'll expand in the name of outsourcing and eventually move jobs somewhere else. We have $6,000 drones taking out $18,500,000 tanks. A 120K missile is taking out a plane that cost 85 million. Eventually we're going to shift the defense budget.

On a side note the history of disney in ct goes beyond espn. Way back in the day Coleco was the first company to license disney and they made a ton of money back in the 50's doing so.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:27 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Old 05-03-2022, 04:59 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Uh I can kinda agree but it depends. In many respects small towns don't have much of a future because of the economy of scale. Technology works to lower price and government doesn't. Government services exist because the economy of scale before technology was used. Not everything requires manual labor. For example my trash service is three guys and a truck. One to drive and two to dump the trash in it. My folks in Mass live in a more populated area and it's one. The fork goes into the trash and flips it and then drives to other. Likewise if you have towns that aren't growing eventually they'll have to share services.

Infrastructure planning is possible. Just put it under the state that's all. The state government is extremely weak.I've never really heard of Avon CT. I grew up in Mass and outside of the urban areas and those that surround it I've never heard of Avon.

Um western mass also has a whole foods in hadley. Retail looks at a number of things 1) security budget, 2) competition 3) wages etc. New Haven is filled with students. Students are debt machines. Food is subsidized, housing is subsidized, transit is subsidized. Yes eventually it pays off but the result of restaurants, bars clubs and t shirt shops are largely low wages..that's why. You are confusing median income of new haven vs the whole state.

The fact of the matter is there isn't that much tying anything to stay in CT, including people. So if an employer leaves it's fine and the people will leave and again it's fine. You make it sound like moving is impossible.

Heck the local governments themselves are weak because there's so many ways around them. About half of a local budget is usually a school district. School districts are now a moot point because of the birth rate. Add in the low immigration rate and it leads to a brain drain. Low wage, low skilled work is what is probably what is growing the most in the state. I've seen nice antique stores become cumberland farms. Decent middle class supermarkets become dollar generals, nice ice cream places by the ocean side because Subway restaurants etc.I've seen so much bickering and fighting in small towns in the state that frankly businesses are pulling out or selling to cut and run. Finance and insurance jobs can be done nearly anywhere. Keep in mind many of the deals you see to keep jobs in the state are not saying that they'd actually be in a given area 100% of the time let alone in one town. So let's say you think it's 300+ jobs in downtown hartford and then it turns out it's really 300 scattered with a bulk working from home in bridgeport. Now it's your manufactures that hold more sway than these industries. If they can't really find people they'll expand in the name of outsourcing and eventually move jobs somewhere else. We have $6,000 drones taking out $18,500,000 tanks. A 120K missile is taking out a plane that cost 85 million. Eventually we're going to shift the defense budget.

On a side note the history of disney in ct goes beyond espn. Way back in the day Coleco was the first company to license disney and they made a ton of money back in the 50's doing so.
You live in an old mill town that is hardly representative of the entire state. I’m sure that somewhere in your beloved State of Massachusetts they still collect trash by hand father than fork lift. I know here in Connecticut many, if not most towns have switched.

Why would you hear of Avon? Were you even knowledgeable about Connecticut as kid? Most aren’t. I doubt many kids here or in any state know small towns in other state, even your beloved Massachusetts.

I disagree that local governments are weak. Why would you even thing that? They are strong within their jurisdiction. That’s it. That does not make them weak. I don’t care what you or anyone says, bigger is NEVER better. It’s clumsy and unresponsive. Theres little to no accountability. How does that serve people? It doesn’t. I’m all for Some shared services and many Connecticut towns do that. They buy goods through a cooperative. They share services like animal control, emergency communication and health department services. We even have regional school districts gor d as mallee towns but those have been established by local decree, not state mandate. That is much better than forcing sad one thing that may not be appropriate for every community.

I have also heard the predictions of the demise of our country’s military industry for decades now. It hasn’t happened and won’t happen as long as you have countries like Russia attacking innocent democracies like Ukraine. If anything i see our country investing even more in our military and Connecticut will continue to be at the forefront of serving it.

I also we oulfnybe do certain s as bout the demise of workers attached to a central office. Before the pandemic several high tech firms were limiting or even eliminating the option because it failed to promote team building and commitment to a common goal. That certainly could happen again and more likely will. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut