Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 07:13 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah I'm officially leaving on Monday. I'm happy and sad at the same time.
NEP, I do not want this to turn into a thread about you, but I did find this very interesting.

"We are anticipating further growth of consumers taking advantage of low down payment options for purchasing homes across Ohio in 2015,” said Michael Mahon, executive vice president at HER Realtors, covering the Ohio housing markets of Cincinnati, Dayton and Columbus, where Franklin County ranked among the top 10 markets for first time homebuyers with a 13 percent average down payment ($16,536) and a 22 percent increase in millennials between 2007 and 2013." (Average Down Payment Was 14 Percent or $32,141 on 2014 U.S. Home Purchases According to RealtyTrac County-Level Analysis | Newsroom and Media Center)

It seems you are not alone in your decision to move and it appears that your goal to own a home is very possible in the area you are moving too.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 AM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Don't expect the trend in biotech/pharma to get any better. BMS will be completely out of CT in the next decade, I would bet money on it. Same with Pfizer, another company that is slowly (or not so slowly) moving jobs out of state and into boston/mass. Ion Torrent in Guildord (now owned by Thermo Fisher) will most likely continue to move operations into SF bay area. Boehringer Ingelheim will either flat out leave or hop on the fade-out-over-time bandwagon. The healthcare and presumably their expensive R&D arms will continue to diminish. I know 2 start ups in New Haven that are leaving ow that they're starting to grow.

Most of the graduates from the genetics program I'm in leave CT (many go to boston or san diego). I will certainly be leaving after graduation-for a plethora of reasons, but dwindling biotech space is def among the top of them.

The worst part about these jobs leaving is that they will NEVER come back. High tech industries like biotech cluster. There is a critical mass needed between talent, opportunity, access to funding, legal services, and strong auxiliary tech companies (IT, high performance computing, healthcare, academic institutions, etc). Every time a company leaves here to go to one of these "tech hubs" that tech hub becomes yet MORE attractive and their gravitational force stronger still. There is a syngergy for sure--making the fight to attract newer companies even more difficult. Look how much we had to overpay for the Jackson Laboratory and that was when CT only looked "kinda bad"....
Boehringer Ingelheim just completed a $100 million expansion in Ridgefield. It is unlikely they are going anywhere. This is particularly true now that the many of the taxes that businesses are so against will likely be eliminated.

This article kind of summarizes all the crazy business news the state has seen in the last couple of weeks. Jay

Making Sense Of A Wild Day For Connecticut Business - Hartford Courant

Old 06-26-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Boehringer Ingelheim just completed a $100 million expansion in Ridgefield. It is unlikely they are going anywhere. This is particularly true now that the many of the taxes that businesses are so against will likely be eliminated.

This article kind of summarizes all the crazy business news the state has seen in the last couple of weeks. Jay

Making Sense Of A Wild Day For Connecticut Business - Hartford Courant
It's not about them leaving, its about the possible $300 million in new capital investments projects they have in the works. If they say no to the new expansion in Connecticut and put the $300 million of new projects in _____ (name state) I would render that is just as bad as leaving. No expansion = no new jobs.

Either way, doubt they will leave. In fact, I'll doubt anyone will leave. CT is ranked #4 in workforce in the CNBC poll. It's all a bluff.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It's not about them leaving, its about the possible $300 million in new capital investments projects they have in the works. If they say no to the new expansion in Connecticut and put the $300 million of new projects in _____ (name state) I would render that is just as bad as leaving. No expansion = no new jobs.

Either way, doubt they will leave. In fact, I'll doubt anyone will leave. CT is ranked #4 in workforce in the CNBC poll. It's all a bluff.
I don't know if it is a bluff or not but it is clearly sending a message to our Governor and Legislature that taxes here need to be reigned in. I just hope they got the message. Jay

Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 AM

325 posts, read 486,410 times
Just read that IBM might leave my hometown (Southbury). What a joke.

I believe that MA currently actually might have a better economic climate than CT.

Also read that BMS might leave Southington.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 AM

370 posts, read 608,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Bluff or no bluff, the real concern is how will Connecticut attract new investment when its incompetence is under so much scrutiny.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:16 AM

Looks like Colt is going to be able to reorganize and that there is a battle over control of the company. Jay

Colt secures $20M loan to continue operations | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 06-26-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
Just read that IBM IS NOT leavING my hometown (Southbury). What a joke.

I believe that MA currently actually might have a better economic climate than CT.

Also read that BMS IS leave Wallingford.
I updated this.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
Just read that IBM might leave my hometown (Southbury). What a joke.

Also read that BMS might leave Southington.
Actually IBM came out formally yesterday and denied this. Jay

IBM to stay in Southbury - for now - Connecticut Post

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Looks like Aetna may be buying Humana which may (or may not) be a positive for Connecticut. So many conflicting stories going on here. It is a time of great change in the insurance industry. Jay

Report: Aetna Nearing Deal To Buy Humana - Hartford Courant
How would not be a positive for Connecticut? If the deal does go through, it might be a nice boost.

You're right about the change in the insurance industry. Let's hope Hartford gets some nice rewards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut