Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 03:13 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiousity, is there a source for the claim of CT having the most productive workforce in the world? I'd be interested in seeing the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
They get tons in return! Access to the most productive workforce in the world at a relative bargain, a sane stable and quick court system, safe streets, and quick access to running capital.

Its almost like you live in moustached Spocks universe honestly.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:23 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
What does the state have as a bargaining chip against UTC or any other company?

Stay in our state to pay our astronomical taxes which we use to pay for social services. You get no benefits of these high taxes but you have to stay and pay no matter what.

Companies are realizing the basic fact that they pay boatloads of taxes and get nothing in return. Why not go to a more business friendly state?

The only thing keeping us from a mass exodus is the planning and work it requires to move all these companies.

Its already over for the state, the exodus has begun and nothing will stop it now.
You have already told us you DON'T live in CT. There's no reason for you to keep coming here professing your love of corporations and tax breaks over everything else. We get it, CT loves taxes and only commies tax. The whole state is run by commies and only commies live here.

Go check out Kansas and report back in a few years.

Last edited by MrGompers; 06-28-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Sadly, telling employers in one state you cant hire h1 workers will kill your state unless it is across the board. Especially a state like CT. Even then, once the h1 workers get a chance many are following the jobs and lower COL. Companies are moving to Texas and other tax/business friendly states from all over.

That is true and I would like to see the entire H1B visa program stopped, but this would require action at the Fed level. As an alternative the program should be tied to the unemployment rate of the United States as a whole. We could make it 5%. We are not importing the cream of the crop workers from other countries under this program.

I worked at a company in CT that was bringing over H1B visa workers as entry level accountants. I don't know how they got away with that since there's plenty of people looking for accounting jobs and plenty of accounting graduates to fill those positions.

This wasn't hearsay as I found out directly from the visa workers. I also found a website that listed the number of H1b visa's per company. The company stopped bringing over visa workers in 2011, but I don't know why they stopped.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Just out of curiousity, is there a source for the claim of CT having the most productive workforce in the world? I'd be interested in seeing the data.
I don't think you will find data just for one state. National data exists though

Overworked America: 12 Charts That Will Make Your Blood Boil | Mother Jones

This source contains more data and explains it better
The wedges between productivity and median compensation growth | Economic Policy Institute

Old 06-28-2015, 06:03 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't think you will find data just for one state.
So, you have no data to show that Connecticut employees are the most productive.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:31 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
So, you have no data to show that Connecticut employees are the most productive.
He might not. But I do.

Which are the Most Productive State Economies? | Fairweather Consulting

Relevant quote:

"Free Exchange suggested that the process of high productive workers moving to lower cost areas may stifle long-term US productivity growth."

And while I disagree with Richard Florida a lot he did put this out a few years ago:

America's Most Productive Metros - CityLab

You are free to go through my previous posts where I detail DOL and Federal Reserve information at length. But I am engaged with family celebrations at the moment so I won't be able to go back through and re compute the relevant information.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
He might not. But I do.

Which are the Most Productive State Economies? | Fairweather Consulting

Relevant quote:

"Free Exchange suggested that the process of high productive workers moving to lower cost areas may stifle long-term US productivity growth."

And while I disagree with Richard Florida a lot he did put this out a few years ago:

America's Most Productive Metros - CityLab

You are free to go through my previous posts where I detail DOL and Federal Reserve information at length. But I am engaged with family celebrations at the moment so I won't be able to go back through and re compute the relevant information.
Save your breath. No one here is interested in real data that can be verified with sources. Best to stick with sound bites, conjuncture, anecdotes, and sarcasm.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:02 PM

Thank you for sharing these links Beeker. Not being from CT, I don't have a "dog in the fight" so to speak and was truly interested in seeing this information.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:06 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Thank you for sharing these links Beeker. Not being from CT, I don't have a "dog in the fight" so to speak and was truly interested in seeing this information.

You wannabe from CT so bad

Old 06-28-2015, 07:15 PM

LOL! I am perfectly happy that I am from Maine. I chose to live here in CT for a few years for my career and am perfectly comfortable with that decision. I find it interesting that the state is so polarizing in the way people describe it here on C-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
You wannabe from CT so bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut