Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2022, 02:59 PM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Isn't Connecticut the land of Applebee's, cheesecake factory, and other chain restaurants?
Just to add to the chorus, no freakin' way. I think national chains have it tougher here than most places. We are loaded to the gills with amazing indie restaurants, and some pretty solid local chains too (Haven Hot Chicken, Prime 16, Max Restaurants, Plan B, Harvest, just to name a few).

Old 12-09-2022, 08:56 PM

809 posts, read 466,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I think Norwalk and Westport tend have restaurants concentrated in a small area, Stamford (to me, at least) is more spread out. The places that I mentioned are all in different neighborhoods, close driving distance for sure. So I can see why you would think the dining scene is lacking
Norwalk is pretty well covered with good food not just on Washington St. You have the ethnic food spots in the more suburban part of the city and near the train station, urban indie eats in South and East Norwalk, and fancy maritime themed restaurants in Rowayton. Oh and I didn't forget about Stew Leonards and the various independent bakeries/coffee shops, especially off West Ave and Wall St.

Norwalk > Stamford wrt to food for sure.

Old 12-10-2022, 04:17 PM

6,872 posts, read 3,722,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Norwalk is pretty well covered with good food not just on Washington St. You have the ethnic food spots in the more suburban part of the city and near the train station, urban indie eats in South and East Norwalk, and fancy maritime themed restaurants in Rowayton. Oh and I didn't forget about Stew Leonards and the various independent bakeries/coffee shops, especially off West Ave and Wall St.

Norwalk > Stamford wrt to food for sure.
I have Judy’s Kitchen on High Ridge on the dockets to check out next. Heard great things.
Never liked Remo’s.
Every town has its hits and misses. It’s all subjective.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:54 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
wage growth has failed to keep pace with rising consumer prices for a record 20 consecutive months.

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/s...u7Jz-d-YA&s=19

Old 12-13-2022, 08:41 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I'm hoping it stays that way. I am not a fan of New Jersey at all. The areas closer to NYC are not the greatest and having these chains is part of it.

The best parts of NJ are closer to PA and DE -- at that point, you might as well cross into those states.

I know certain towns in CT are full of chains in large shopping areas. Enfield comes to mind. However, there are some great local restaurants in those very towns.
huh? Thats like saying the best parts of CT are in the Quiet Corner and might as well cross into RI or MA.

Lambertville, Frenchtown and Cape May/Wildwoods/Ocean City/Stone Harbor are all very nice... but,

Morristown, Hoboken/JC, Ridgewood, Somerville, Summit, Short Hills, Red Bank, etc etc etc all exist and are the best parts of NJ. Period.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:45 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I lived in northern New Jersey for several years and there are many nice towns. Nicer than southern New Jersey IMHO. Bergen County towns like Alpine, Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Ho Ho Kus, Allendale, Ramsey, Saddle River, Upper Saddle River, Wyckoff, Franklin Lakes, Oakland, Mahwah, etc. are all very nice. Morris, Somerset, Warren, Sussex, Hunterdon and Mercer Counties are all pretty nice too.

There are a lot of chain restaurants in New Jersey (I can’t believe there are 55 Applebee’s) but there are also a lot of great local places as well. The locals know them and frequent them a lot. Connecticut, even in regional retail areas like Enfield, Manchester, Danbury, or Milford doesn’t have a lot. Jay
It should be noted that NJ is a very 'transient' state and a lot of these chains are strategically placed in shopping malls (GSP, Bridgewater, Jersey Mills), off the side of large highways, 'rest areas' off of the highway (Exit 1 off of NJtpk) or on stroads (Route 18 in the Brunswicks, Route 1, Route 9, Route 22). Anywhere where people are going to be traveling far places and/or through NJ... they'll be more.

When I look on CT, it's the same trend.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It should be noted that NJ is a very 'transient' state and a lot of these chains are strategically placed in shopping malls (GSP, Bridgewater, Jersey Mills), off the side of large highways, 'rest areas' off of the highway (Exit 1 off of NJtpk) or on stroads (Route 18 in the Brunswicks, Route 1, Route 9, Route 22). Anywhere where people are going to be traveling far places and/or through NJ... they'll be more.

That's the same in most of the country. We are still very car orientated, and there's nothing more car orientated than your average chains.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:38 AM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
wage growth has failed to keep pace with rising consumer prices for a record 20 consecutive months.

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/s...u7Jz-d-YA&s=19

Nothing could match the inflation of the last 20 months.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:41 AM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

True. Oddly, when I lived there, I overlooked that, but the downtown streets there were similar to Broad St in Milford in style of restaurants, had just about no chain restaurants, but tons of local, one location restaurants. Just like the difference between Broad St restaurants and US1 restaurants, where just past the mall, we find national chains. US1 past the mall has much in common with 22 in business composition.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Just like the difference between Broad St restaurants and US1 restaurants, where just past the mall, we find national chains. US1 past the mall has much in common with 22 in business composition.
There are A LOT more independent restaurants on 1 than chains. We don’t have that many chains compared to other similar commercial strips.

Let’s see, sit down chains outside the mall: Chili’s, Olive Garden, Friday’s, Mission BBQ, Hook and Reel.

Indie or local chains: Dockside, Bridge House, I Love Pho, Chip’s, Gusto’s, Bin 100, Bar 333, Prime 16, Plan B, Lasse’s, OLA, Baja’s, Bridgeport Flyer, Lin’s Kitchen, Coromandel, Thai Spice, Momo, Lao Sze Chuan…. And I could go on and on.

Even in the mall, there’s local sit down options.

The non-national chain sit downs outnumber by a huge amount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut