Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2022, 04:04 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I’ve long said CT should be doing similar. Too bad NJ beat us to it.

https://www-hollywoodreporter-com.cd...235286070/amp/
That is an incredible addition for NJ.

Old 12-28-2022, 04:13 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That is an incredible addition for NJ.
It's massive. I'm not sure our elected officials fully grasp how much economic activity comes from something like that. Especially as there's talk of eliminating the tax break.

Old 12-28-2022, 04:43 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
It's massive. I'm not sure our elected officials fully grasp how much economic activity comes from something like that. Especially as there's talk of eliminating the tax break.
I think that was just talk. As soon as legislators were reminded of the economic impact of even just ESPN’s massive Bristol operations got them to see the advantage of the tax credit. Talk has since subsided. Jay

Old 12-28-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Agreed. New Jersey is extremely aggressive when seeking new business. I've seen that from companies I have worked at.

I wish Bridgeport could get a shot in the arm like this, but the remediation required would be far too large in any land mass large enough.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:04 PM

192 posts, read 94,343 times
Quote:
Agreed. New Jersey is extremely aggressive when seeking new business. I've seen that from companies I have worked at.

I wish Bridgeport could get a shot in the arm like this, but the remediation required would be far too large in any land mass large enough.
Twenty years ago, Bridgeport seemed like heaven compared to Newark. Now Prudential has skyscrapers above a Whole Foods. Most of the city has revitalized. Having a house on Branch Brook Park is now a sign of success again.

The success of revitalizing Newark should be proof enough that state governance can and does get the job done.

Bridgeport, the Park City, barely has any high density structures at all. The Park City has no parks anyone wants to live near.

A similar story can be told about Hartford, Waterbury, and to a somewhat lesser extent, New Haven.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:13 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Bridgeport could be another option. Loads of underused industrial land. Issue would be remediation. A bit over an hour train or drive with reverse commute.
It's stretching - 1:15+ by car, 1:45 by train. Bridgeport might draw from the cast off ESPN staff around Bristol but will cast/celebs want to hang around Bridgeport for weeks of shooting? Even New England Studios in Devens, MA is about 45 minutes from Boston.

Netflix is probably going to have to deal with some remedation in NJ - it's an old Army base after all.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREInvestor View Post
Twenty years ago, Bridgeport seemed like heaven compared to Newark. Now Prudential has skyscrapers above a Whole Foods. Most of the city has revitalized. Having a house on Branch Brook Park is now a sign of success again.

The success of revitalizing Newark should be proof enough that state governance can and does get the job done.

Bridgeport, the Park City, barely has any high density structures at all. The Park City has no parks anyone wants to live near.

A similar story can be told about Hartford, Waterbury, and to a somewhat lesser extent, New Haven.
The Newark transformation has been super, I agree. Of our cities, Bridgeport and Waterbury have seen the least improvement over several decades.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTREInvestor View Post

What are you talking about? First Newark is a bigger city than Bridgeport. Always has been. I’m not sure what you mean by “high density structures”. Bridgeport never really had many high rises until a couple banks built new offices downtown. Not really comparable. If you want comparable, go to Stamford which knocks Newark out of the park really.

Second, it’s taken a lot of investment by corporate employers that have a real stake in Newark. Whole Foods is there because Prudential pays them to be there. Without deep discounts in rent and subsides from The Pru, they would not be there.

Bridgeport doesn’t have a similar corporate benefactor so it must, and is redeveloping organically. That takes a lot more time. Outside downtown and the Ironbound, Newark is still pretty bleak. Bridgeport has its vast (a good quarter of the city) middle class North End and stunning Black Rock. Newark doesn’t have much close to that. In fact, unlike Newark, Black Rock never lost its appeal as a place to live. It always has been and still is desirable.

Finally your comment about parks is ludicrous. Have you been to Seaside Park, St. Mary’s or Beardsley Park. They are stunning. Bushnell Park, Goodwin Park and Elizabeth Park in Hartford are equally beautiful as is New Haven Green, Long Wharf Park, Lighthouse Point and East Rock Park in New Haven. Certainly exceeds any park in Newark and rivals New York City’s parks. Jay

Old 12-28-2022, 07:37 PM

You had to know this was coming. Like what happened with the new Presidential helicopters, don’t be surprised if the award is overturned. Remember Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro is Chair of the VERY powerful House Appropriations Committee. That may change but the list of Congressmen that owe her is very long. As is those owed to Blumenthal and Murphy. Will see. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2022/12/28/ct-s...t-appeal-army/

Old 12-28-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
The Newark transformation has been super, I agree. Of our cities, Bridgeport and Waterbury have seen the least improvement over several decades.
Once again your bias against Bridgeport blinds you. Have you not been downtown? To Steelpoint? To Black Rock? How anyone can say there’s no improvement is beyond me. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut