Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 04:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times

Advertisements

If the unitary tax is only assessed on HQs, then couldn't we expect the companies threatening to leave to just relocate HQ elsewhere but still keep a decent number of employees still employed in CT? I can't imagine Aetna would close every office in CT and completely pull out. I don't know what the legal threshold of employees is required, if any, for a location to be considered an HQ vs. satellite office though.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:08 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,377 times
In theory at least ... and there can be permutations ... but in traditional unitary taxation... take the worldwide income... and the percentage number of employees located.. in this case..in Connecticut ...then apply the tax on that percentage X worldwide income.... the result of which would be subject to the tax...and applied. And again in theory ... it is applied to a company whose headquarters are located in the taxing authorities state.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:19 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
If the unitary tax is only assessed on HQs, then couldn't we expect the companies threatening to leave to just relocate HQ elsewhere but still keep a decent number of employees still employed in CT? I can't imagine Aetna would close every office in CT and completely pull out. I don't know what the legal threshold of employees is required, if any, for a location to be considered an HQ vs. satellite office though.
I doubt any would close 100%, relo hq quite possible, but remember:

(1) Median salary at hq far in excess of total corp, so you lose the folks paying the most tax.

(2) If they relocated even lets say 25% of the total jobs, each one of those examining the issue publicly would be cutting more jobs than were lost when Bayer left Ct.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:24 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
Can you share what happened with Bayer?

Yeah I know it's still a hit to tax revenue, though at least it may be some consolation to folks who fear there won't be any corp jobs left in CT.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
New Jersey has the highest taxes in the country second only to NY. I think CT is third

These states need massive spending cuts to just keep the lights on. It is probably good to think of a more thoughtful argument like what are our options here in CT and what is the environment like now.

We are losing jobs and spending has gone through the roof. No Democrat will cut any spending, not a cent.
Business are relocating because of the cost.

We need spending cuts just to survive
The entire Northeast needs a reduced quantity of state employees. Every major corp has dramatically cut jobs via technology over many years, often not via layoff, via not backfilling. Government needs to follow that lead. Reduce the ratio of government employees to productive, private sector taxpayers.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Can you share what happened with Bayer?

Yeah I know it's still a hit to tax revenue, though at least it may be some consolation to folks who fear there won't be any corp jobs left in CT.

Bayer Closing Research Facility - tribunedigital-thecourant

Old 07-01-2015, 05:46 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
We need spending cuts just to survive
Nobody is cutting nothing, at least for a while. It's like asking a drug addict to curtail his heroine intake. It's actually worse. Because there are no rehab centers for the states.

They will tax, borrow, invent new taxes just to keep feeding the beast. Public Unions, programs, corporate welfare.

The only ones winning in this mess are the politicians. Power usually flows in the same direction as money.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Nobody is cutting nothing, at least for a while. It's like asking a drug addict to curtail his heroine intake. It's actually worse. Because there are no rehab centers for the states.

Excellent analogy.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Just legalize pot and tax the death out of it. Maybe it'll fix our deficit? But I know for a fact many of our legislatures are against it and IMO it's quite ridiculous.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:01 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The only ones winning in this mess are the politicians. Power usually flows in the same direction as money.
I disagree. I hear the mooching class is doing pretty well for themselves. Able-bodied, free food, free money, free healthcare. Hennessy, lobster mac-n-cheese and a whole bottle of feel-good pills for my "tooth ache" ahhhhh. I will definitely be raising my kids to be respectable multi-generational welfare recipients: it's the new American success story. Barf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut