Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
Take a visit to Stop and Shop on New Park Ave in the beginning of the month, and tell me what's in shopping carts. I specifically avoid grocery shopping in the first ~5 days of the month. While you're at it, I recommend going midday during the week, and do a pass through on Albany Ave. Report back what you see here.
How do you tell who's on public assistance and who's not? ESP? Or do you just assume everyone is? Do you lean in real close when they pay so you can overhear?

And do tell... What do "they" have in their shopping cart?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:27 PM

453 posts, read 530,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How do you tell who's on public assistance and who's not? ESP? Or do you just assume everyone is? Do you lean in real close when they pay so you can overhear?

And do tell... What do "they" have in their shopping cart?
You can clearly see someone paying with EBT at the cashier, and it's more common than you think to see crab legs, lobster, shrimp, etc. Don't be so naive.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
You can clearly see someone paying with EBT at the cashier, and it's more common than you think to see crab legs, lobster, shrimp, etc. Don't be so naive.
While people do indeed buy expensive items on SNAP, they are given a set allotment to spend per month. As long as they spend it on food (which should be all it's good for), it shouldn't really matter what they are buying. When they run out on their SNAP card they have to buy with their own money for the rest of the month.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:43 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I thought this was interesting. Malloy commenting on the state's business record. Jay

Malloy defends business record - Connecticut Post
He is a terrific comedian.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:57 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
He is a terrific comedian.
I was laughing when I saw this because whenever someone brings up those 47th and 48th rankings about business climates then Malloy denies it by saying it's untrue...but as soon as we reached 33rd he wanted to include it in his speech? So he said we WERE 47th which means it is true...? Kinda funny how every governor praises their state as being #1.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I was laughing when I saw this because whenever someone brings up those 47th and 48th rankings about business climates then Malloy denies it by saying it's untrue...but as soon as we reached 33rd he wanted to include it in his speech? So he said we WERE 47th which means it is true...? Kinda funny how every governor praises their state as being #1.
Read the full article. I'm not sure, nor were the authors, how much Ct jumped, as it is apples and oranges. Factors like education were weighed higher this time vs last time. The authors were not honest; honest reporting would have recalculated the prior year's rank by state, and reported improvement vs the same methodology for last year vs this year.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Read the full article. I'm not sure, nor were the authors, how much Ct jumped, as it is apples and oranges. Factors like education were weighed higher this time vs last time. The authors were not honest; honest reporting would have recalculated the prior year's rank by state, and reported improvement vs the same methodology for last year vs this year.
I read the full article but obviously Malloy isnt going to say Education was weighed higher because he wants to make it sound better by saying the business climate is getting better when it's a stupid article that could be biased or left sided. He's making it sound misleading...like always. There's always information in his other hand that's he's not going to speak about because he doesn't want to ruin his already awful record that he claims to be good.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here is a surprise, Connecticut has actually climbed in CNBC's ratings of state business climates. We are up 13 spots! Can it be? With all the doom and gloom posted on this forum recently, you would think this state would be dead last. It is not. Jay

CT climbs in much-cited CNBC biz ranking | HartfordBusiness.com
"This year, CNBC switched its ranking focus away from the state's biggest weakness—high costs—to its greatest strength, a skilled workforce."

CNBC Top States for Business: Good News, Bad News

Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
"This year, CNBC switched its ranking focus away from the state's biggest weakness—high costs—to its greatest strength, a skilled workforce."

CNBC Top States for Business: Good News, Bad News
11th highest quality of life? I'd assume it would be higher. Theres an ariticle saying that we were number 1 in human development index which is almost the same thing. My computer won't load the other half of the page. What was 50th in COL?

Old 07-02-2015, 04:49 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Please return to the topic of the OP which is the economic climate in Connecticut. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut