Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 10:08 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
UTC has decided to unload Sikorsky. They are still seeing if an outright sale or spin-off is a more attractive option. In October they will have a game plan, but the outcome is they (UTC) is unloading the helicopter manufacturer. Sad day.

United Tech to Decide Between Sikorsky Spinoff, Sale by October - Bloomberg Business

What impact will this have on FFC, more specifically Shelton and Stratford? The companies that are looking at an outright sale would be Airbus and Boeing. A spin-off option is with Textron. Either way, I have a feeling both options would have the plant moving. Boeing moved plants from across country to N. Charleston and now have a HUGE facility with port options down there. Textron is HQ in Providence but manufactures Bell Helicopters in Texas so I have a feeling they would move down there.

EDIT: This, in my mind, confirms they will be no longer HQ here. "Another factor in favor of a sale is that a spin-off of Sikorsky into an independent company would add about $90 million annually in incremental costs to pay for operations such as a headquarters, facilities and information technology." (UTC CEO: Robust Sikorsky Bids)

What's your take now that Lockheed is officially buying them?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:58 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What's your take now that Lockheed is officially buying them?
I'll mirror what the analyst are saying. PREDICTIONS:

-No major employment exodus to worry about, not soon anyway.
-Some overlapping departments such as HR, some management positions and "some" engineering will be let go or moved to MD.
-Over time we will see loss of people in CT, but Stratford will not close. Branches might i.e. Bridgeport.
-Suppliers might be hit because LM deals with their certain suppliers already and it might be hard to match prices from them.

Now that UTC has a large chunk of money we might see UTC buy and move a company to Connecticut. That would be a major win for CT.

Overall, the next 3 years will remain largely unchanged.

EDIT: I'll also add, I think LM will close facilities in NE and consolidate them to Stratford. Believe it or not, I'm actually seeing very good things for this buyout.

Last edited by Mr_250; 07-20-2015 at 06:23 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 06:16 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:

-Some overlapping departments such as HR, some management positions and "some" engineering will be let go or moved to MD.
-Over time we will see loss of people in CT, but Stratford will not close. Branches might i.e. Bridgeport.
-Suppliers might be hit because LM deals with their certain suppliers already and it might be hard to match prices from them.

Now that UTC has a large chunk of money we might see UTC buy and move a company to Connecticut. That would be a major win for CT.

Wait for press Conference

Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I thought this was an interesting article. Buried in it are a couple of interesting tidbits about companies buying office buildings and consolidating personnel or bring in new companies. These are the roots of growth for small companies. Jay

More CT users value owning space than leasing | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
so Bridgeport not part of Fairfield County

Look at page 11 for home sales prices.

ISSUU - Second Quarter 2015 Market Watch by William Pitt

Old 07-20-2015, 11:36 AM

Connecticut unemployment dropped to 5.7%. June 2015 created 600 news jobs.http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/upload/2...-2015-data.pdf

This is a mixed bag for me. On the surface unemployment dropped which is good. In the details it shows that 5 super sectors shed jobs, 1 didn't change and 4 gained jobs, initial claims jumped to the highest since December 2014 and hours are stagnant.

Either way, hire seems to still be going on.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:14 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:

EDIT: I'll also add, I think LM will close facilities in NE and consolidate them to Stratford. Believe it or not, I'm actually seeing very good things for this buyout.
The concern is Lockheed didn't buy them with Sikorsky's 200 mill profit being acceptable, as a 35-1 ratio price/earnings (which should be close to cash flow) is not acceptable in business, so how does the profit get juiced w/o pain?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:27 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
What I've discussed with my father several times is how only those who pay taxes should be allowed to vote.
Voting yourself money from other people's pocket (representation without taxation) is gangrenous for a healthy society. It breeds theft, jealousy, plunder, scum. It makes the moral man immoral. CT is the poster-child for this decaying society. Sorry, but sugar-coating is not for adults. It's for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Everyone pays taxes. Sales taxes especially. So I'm not sure the eligible voting population would change at all by excluding those who don't pay taxes.
There are plenty of taxes that Malloy's constituencies (mainly rotten CT cities) do not pay, or pay a lot less than productive citizens pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
People are naturally selfish and vote along lines of self interest. Residents in New Hartford are unlikely to vote for any spending that benefits those living in Hartford.
Why should they? This idea that we use politicians, who most are the most loathsome and immoral people breathing, this idea that politicians should pick and choose who gets the bacon -- this is the real crazy.

How about spreading the bacon even amongst all people? Why don't we want equality in that? I love equality. Where are all the "equality" fans here?

Spread it even. No winners or losers. If you get a $ 560 housing voucher, so should I.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:07 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Spread it even. No winners or losers. If you get a $ 560 housing voucher, so should I.
You should immediately quit your job, liquidate and dispatch your wealth, and live in the luxury you presume is abject poverty-- since you presume those who are unfortunate enough to qualify for government assistance are the "winners".

Personally, I'll forgo the voucher and keep living the upper-middle class lifestyle afforded by my success in my chosen field and business.

But you should make the decision that's best for you.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The concern is Lockheed didn't buy them with Sikorsky's 200 mill profit being acceptable, as a 35-1 ratio price/earnings (which should be close to cash flow) is not acceptable in business, so how does the profit get juiced w/o pain?
They came out and said they will reduce cost by $150m a year.

Layoffs, factory closures and reduction of overhead. This is all a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut