Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 12:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,827,207 times

Advertisements

I think if GE leaves Norwalk, it would help the middle class. It would help bring down home values and allow lower income people to afford home ownership. This would make FFC a more affordable place to live and reduce wealth inequality. #Bernie2016

Old 08-20-2015, 12:49 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,726,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think if GE leaves Norwalk, it would help the middle class. It would help bring down home values and allow lower income people to afford home ownership. This would make FFC a more affordable place to live and reduce wealth inequality. #Bernie2016
GE is in Fairfield

Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,414,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I worked in Atlanta for a period of time and it is definitely congested but not much worse than some of our highways here. The advantage CT has is Metro-North which is a much more viable commuting option than MARTA in Atlanta.

Atlanta is a very dynamic city with a lot to recommend it to businesses and I could see GE choosing to relocate there if Malloy and the legislature don't act.
I would doubt that if GE were to move to the Atlanta area ... they would be located in a suburban area campus..ie Buckhead ... or further out ...just as it is in a suburban area in CT ...and I doubt very many folks commute by train to their jobs at the Fairfield location.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:54 PM

1,241 posts, read 885,982 times
Buckhead is a district of Atlanta not a suburb unless that has changed very recently. I looked up the location of Three Alliance Center and it would actually be quite convenient for commuting by MARTA. Employees could live in desirable suburbs like Roswell and Alpharetta, have great schools and be a short train ride from the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I would doubt that if GE were to move to the Atlanta area ... they would be located in a suburban area campus..ie Buckhead ... or further out ...just as it is in a suburban area in CT ...and I doubt very many folks commute by train to their jobs at the Fairfield location.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:52 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,274,701 times
I will probably be dead before a Fortune 500 company moves to Connecticut; if that ever happens. This is one of the largest employers in the state. I still wonder how the state will keep them here since so many states are making offers. Do you actually think they'd move?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,401,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And yet Georgia has a higher unemployment rate than Connecticut. Go figure! Jay
Not so fast...data as recent as august 2015....

The unemployment rates between the two *states* are actually the same, at 6.3.

Unemployment in GA: 6.3%
in Atlanta: 6.0%

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Economy at a Glance

Unemployment in CT: 6.3%
In Hartford: 10.0%
In New H : 7.3%
In Brij poh: 8.3%

Labor Market Information - Most Recent Labor Force Data for Connecticut Towns

Georgia is about 11x the geographical area of CT. With an area of only 5.5k mi^2, the entire state of CT literally fits inside the Atlanta metro (about 8.3k sqmi).

Considering how much rural nothingness is in georgia, you would expect it to be way worse than CT, but somehow it's equal. CT cities on the other hand are miserably high and, when compared to Atlanta (at 6.0%--below state average), completely fail in comparison. GE would do just fine in Atlanta.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,401,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well put Nep. Fewer jobs is an awesome idea. Taxes would sky rocket. People will have to uproot their lives and families and disperse all over the country. Life will be nothing but puppies and rainbows and the poor will be able to afford the abated ruins of a once upper middle class neighborhood! But at least over privileged white kids like you with no sense of reality will bask in the glory of a land finally comprised of equals....equally poor, that is.

One of these days, you're going to snap out of your delusion that being at the bottom end of the upper percentile of income earners somehow qualifies you as a victim of wealth inequality.

The fact that you believe reverse gentrifying CT's most affluent county would somehow make the state a better place under any circumstances, let alone a liberal nut house administration, is a truly revealing glimpse into the distorted world you call, "your mind"

Old 08-20-2015, 03:46 PM

131 posts, read 137,598 times
Cuomo hopes tax incentives will lure GE back to New York | New York Post

Old 08-20-2015, 03:48 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Not so fast...data as recent as august 2015....

The unemployment rates between the two *states* are actually the same, at 6.3.

Unemployment in GA: 6.3%
in Atlanta: 6.0%

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Economy at a Glance

Unemployment in CT: 6.3%
In Hartford: 10.0%
In New H : 7.3%
In Brij poh: 8.3%

Georgia is about 11x the geographical area of CT. With an area of only 5.5k mi^2, the entire state of CT literally fits inside the Atlanta metro (about 8.3k sqmi).

Considering how much rural nothingness is in georgia, you would expect it to be way worse than CT, but somehow it's equal. CT cities on the other hand are miserably high and, when compared to Atlanta (at 6.0%--below state average), completely fail in comparison. GE would do just fine in Atlanta.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the unemployment rate in Connecticut is 5.7% while Georgia is 6.1%. Here is a link to the data:

Unemployment Rates for States

Today's Stamford Advocate is reporting the latest data for Connecticut shows the unemployment rate is now 5.4% which is great news. The Atlanta Business Journal is reporting Georgia's latest unemployment rate is 6%.

Connecticut unemployment rate falls to 5.4 percent - StamfordAdvocate

Georgia

Atlanta's unemployment rate is 6% according to this source:

Metro Atlanta unemployment rate rises to 6 percent - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Stamford's unemployment rate is 4.4% according to the source below.

Georgia cities like Athens and Albany have unemployment rates comparable to Bridgeport and Hartford. I am not sure what source your information is from but mine (posted above) clearly shows Connecticut doing better than Georgia and Stamford doing better than Atlanta by far. Jay

Old 08-20-2015, 04:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,474,922 times
I would be extremely surprised if GE chose Atlanta over NY. Not that I don't think GA offers a great business environment but the move would be so much less disruptive to their operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut