Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

"Relocating is “the kind of thing you only think about every 40 years, so you want to make sure you get it right,” he said. During his appearance on CNBC, Mr. Immelt pressed his case on Ex-Im Bank."

GE Nears Decision on Relocating Its Headquarters - WSJ

Old 09-11-2015, 11:54 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
A Federal Reserve Study shows that Hartford is one for the top 10 for Opportunity Occupations (Springfield, Mass also made the list). Opportunity occupations are jobs that do not require a Bachelor's Degree. Being in the top 10 means that workers in this category have a very high chance of making the median income for that area without a Degree. Interesting are some of the locations that are in the bottom 10 including cities in Texas and Florida. So much for these low cost states being great places to live or move to for job opportunities if you do not have a Degree. Jay

https://www.philadelphiafed.org/comm...pecial-reports

Old 09-11-2015, 01:31 PM

684 posts, read 811,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A Federal Reserve Study shows that Hartford is one for the top 10 for Opportunity Occupations (Springfield, Mass also made the list). Opportunity occupations are jobs that do not require a Bachelor's Degree. Being in the top 10 means that workers in this category have a very high chance of making the median income for that area without a Degree. Interesting are some of the locations that are in the bottom 10 including cities in Texas and Florida. So much for these low cost states being great places to live or move to for job opportunities if you do not have a Degree. Jay

https://www.philadelphiafed.org/comm...pecial-reports
You can make 50k in Texas without a degree easily.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:42 PM

132 posts, read 149,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
"Relocating is “the kind of thing you only think about every 40 years, so you want to make sure you get it right,” he said. During his appearance on CNBC, Mr. Immelt pressed his case on Ex-Im Bank."

GE Nears Decision on Relocating Its Headquarters - WSJ
Interested to find out what happens. GE is finalizing purchasing the company I work for, which has several locations in CT. Sell off, lay off, or relocate I'm thinking will be the options in the near future.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Not in the cities identified according to the Federal Reserve. Jay

Old 09-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Not in the cities identified according to the Federal Reserve. Jay
Which particular cities would that be ? If you don't mind pointing it out.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Which particular cities would that be ? If you don't mind pointing it out.
El Paso and Midland were the 2 Texas cities on the bottom 10 list. Interestingly Florida cities on the bottom 10 include Miami, Orlando, Tampa and Sarasota. These are pretty much all their major cities. I do know people that live in a couple of these and it is not that surprising. Like I said these cities have lower pay scales which do not necessarily relate to the real lower cost of living. Jay

Old 09-11-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
El Paso and Midland were the 2 Texas cities on the bottom 10 list. Interestingly Florida cities on the bottom 10 include Miami, Orlando, Tampa and Sarasota. These are pretty much all their major cities. I do know people that live in a couple of these and it is not that surprising. Like I said these cities have lower pay scales which do not necessarily relate to the real lower cost of living. Jay
Well El Paso and midland are not areas many people would want to live to be honest. Midland is a city with nothing , it did good during the big oil boom but other then that it's just a dot. I know 2 people that worked out that way , and El Paso is just an old poor town that isn't much. These are far away from all the action , it's like picking the worst cities in any state. Nobody is moving in herds to those 2 cities lol.

I'm surprised with Florida tho .

Old 09-12-2015, 07:43 AM

453 posts, read 530,504 times
Quote:
Elaborate on these jobs and how easy it is to attain them.

I agree there are entry level insurance jobs that do not require a degree but start out decent paying and have promotion potential in CT (Call center type jobs)

Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
Elaborate on these jobs and how easy it is to attain them.

I agree there are entry level insurance jobs that do not require a degree but start out decent paying and have promotion potential in CT (Call center type jobs)
Depends on your resume and skills, just like any other job. As i mentioned before, these 2 cities are like picking the most ghetto city in your state and making a comparison.

If you look in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio region, you can find jobs that will pay you good money without having to have a Bachelors Degree and be able to survive the COL.

The main picture should always be living within your means, just because someone makes 100k doesn't mean they are living great, they can be drowning in debt barely making it while someone that makes 45k debt free is living a better life.

Anyways back to CT's economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut