Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 03:03 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times

Advertisements

GE is close to considering where its going to move

GE Nears Decision on Relocating Its Headquarters - WSJ

This is a direct result of Malloys tax hikes. These things have consequences

Old 09-13-2015, 07:30 AM

453 posts, read 530,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Depends on your resume and skills, just like any other job. As i mentioned before, these 2 cities are like picking the most ghetto city in your state and making a comparison.

If you look in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio region, you can find jobs that will pay you good money without having to have a Bachelors Degree and be able to survive the COL.

The main picture should always be living within your means, just because someone makes 100k doesn't mean they are living great, they can be drowning in debt barely making it while someone that makes 45k debt free is living a better life.

Anyways back to CT's economy

You didn't answer the question, and I would challenge the fact that it's easy to do in Texas when the median income isn't even 50K. Decent money isn't necessarily 50K like you claim.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:42 AM

684 posts, read 812,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
You didn't answer the question, and I would challenge the fact that it's easy to do in Texas when the median income isn't even 50K. Decent money isn't necessarily 50K like you claim.
How am i suppose to answer such a general question. How easy is it to obtain a job? Thats a question you can ask anyone in any state. Everyone lives differently and spends differently so i dont know how you are going to dictate whats decent money and whats not.

Someone that has ZERO debt and makes 52k a year, i would say thats pretty damn good living in Texas. You can buy nice decent homes down there for 125-150k. Condos/Townhouses for under 100k easily.Property taxes are low, no state income tax, groceries are a bit cheaper, gas prices are good, utility costs are good.

You are thinking about people that are living on min wage. Again, if you have 2 people working on min wage, with zero debts, rent a 1 bedroom apt for 600-700 bucks its very doable. Thats on a 40 hour work week too, can pick up some part time work for a little more income as well.

In the end it boils down to income vs debt vs COL.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:45 AM

814 posts, read 911,368 times
Debt is a big killer and I once had to fight myself through it, I never gave up and eventually won the battle.

Anyways as far as college goes by todays standards college is also a debt creator and there is no guarantee when you graduate you will get that 120k a year job, most jobs that say degree required the job itself you could learn through an apprenticeship but nowadays they call it a internship so they dont have to pay you.

We artificially created the need for a degree just like we artificially inflated home prices that led to the financial crisis, student loans will be the next financial crisis.

Any state that is run by a democratic government is schelduled to be the next Detroit.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:02 AM

468 posts, read 475,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
Sure you can make 50k without college degree in tx. In north texas they literally cant build houses fast enough. So if you have those skills you can find a job making 50k with overtime. And that is because the builders lost all those guys who went over to work in the oil sector for the last several years because that was where they could make over 50k without a degree.

So now, some of those who got laid off in oil may end up going back to the builders, after they are done using up all their unemployment of course.

And definitely not saying it is easy work of course. that is some hard labor work not everyone can handle. lotta young kids dont wanna work that hard, i know i dont.

lol

Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

The title is misleading since it sounds like they have decided to move. They have not. The first paragraph even says GE is deciding whether it should. As I said they have been looking at their options for a while now. Two years ago they were looking for consultants to evaluate what could be done with their headquarters site. Jay

Old 09-13-2015, 05:07 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The title is misleading since it sounds like they have decided to move. They have not. The first paragraph even says GE is deciding whether it should. As I said they have been looking at their options for a while now. Two years ago they were looking for consultants to evaluate what could be done with their headquarters site. Jay

True GE accepted bids from over 10 states, amongst them was Ct, so any of the 10 plus have a shot.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 PM

352 posts, read 570,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Someone that has ZERO debt and makes 52k a year, i would say thats pretty damn good living in Texas. You can buy nice decent homes down there for 125-150k. Condos/Townhouses for under 100k easily.Property taxes are low, no state income tax, groceries are a bit cheaper, gas prices are good, utility costs are good.

In the end it boils down to income vs debt vs COL.
I'm originally from New Jersey but now live in Texas and yes, 52K/year with no debt is good and you'll fair pretty well here. But it really depends on where you live in Texas as the COL is slowly rising, especially within the major cities. Just curious to know where you found low property taxes in Texas?

Example: I conducted a real estate search, and found that a $300K home in Plano, TX (suburb of Dallas) has a yearly property tax bill of approximately $5,200 and the average home insurance premium is $1,500.
A $300K home in Danbury, CT has a yearly property tax bill of approximately $4,800 and the average home insurance premium is $1,200.

The flip side is that you'll likely end up with a larger home in Texas but it also costs to heat and cool a larger home.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:52 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
Example: I conducted a real estate search, and found that a $300K home in Plano, TX (suburb of Dallas) has a yearly property tax bill of approximately $5,200 and the average home insurance premium is $1,500.
A $300K home in Danbury, CT has a yearly property tax bill of approximately $4,800 and the average home insurance premium is $1,200.

The flip side is that you'll likely end up with a larger home in Texas but it also costs to heat and cool a larger home.
There are lots of variables, but for a quick estimate, it would be reasonable to estimate that a $300K home in CT would approximately be equivalent to a $200K home in TX.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

It is, whether GE leaves or stays at an enormous cost of a generous new Ct economic deal for them, followed by AETNA, Travelers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut