Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,456,804 times

Advertisements

ESPN is planning to lay off 200-300 employees in the next month. They did not say from where, but the last round of layoffs in 2013 focused on Bristol.

REPORT: ESPN to lay off 200-300 employees - Business Insider

Perfect example of why I hate giving these large corporations huge sums of money for no guarantee of anything. First Five Program my butt. I like how South Carolina does it. They link "credits" to actual jobs created, not just handing out a blank check.

This along with GE, be it selling or leaving, downsizing/moving.

Makes you think what is going on in Hartford.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
ESPN is planning to lay off 200-300 employees in the next month. They did not say from where, but the last round of layoffs in 2013 focused on Bristol.

REPORT: ESPN to lay off 200-300 employees - Business Insider

Perfect example of why I hate giving these large corporations huge sums of money for no guarantee of anything. First Five Program my butt. I like how South Carolina does it. They link "credits" to actual jobs created, not just handing out a blank check.

This along with GE, be it selling or leaving, downsizing/moving.

Makes you think what is going on in Hartford.
I doubt this has anything to do with Hartford. They are trying to cut costs to help pay for a big NBA contract that is coming up. IT is more of an accounting move. "We need to cut costs by X dollars so we need to cut X employees".

What I did find a bit questionable is their planning to cut their Sports Center broadcast. This sounds like a poor move since Sports Center is probably their most important program. It is a staple for most sports fans. Cutting it could erode viewership who would now go to other networks for their sports news. Again a shortsighted beancounter likely saying "if we cut this we can save this amount". Not a bright move IMHO and I am not a sports fan. Jay

Old 09-22-2015, 04:25 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,683,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Probably because they have a tax system that gives businesses lower taxes. That is usually what "business friendly" usually means. Jay
I am well aware of what business friendly means. I just find it ironic that a website would admonish Washington state for their taxation when they have no state income tax, and they've kept taxes down so businesses are functional.

If only there was a certain state up here that understood what that meant. . .

Old 09-22-2015, 05:51 PM

33,747 posts, read 16,732,718 times
Quote:
Probably because they have a tax system that gives businesses lower taxes. That is usually what "business friendly" usually means. Jay

Naturally, like people businesses that are well run look for the most cost effective options available.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,579,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I am well aware of what business friendly means. I just find it ironic that a website would admonish Washington state for their taxation when they have no state income tax, and they've kept taxes down so businesses are functional.

If only there was a certain state up here that understood what that meant. . .
Well look at the bright side CT doesn't have the highest income tax in the U.S. that goes to California ha at a near 13%. However, we're the third highest state with sales and income tax at 12.3%.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:27 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,475,112 times
Has anyone used one of these calculators to see what the difference in their pay would actually be between states? ADP Paycheck Calculator

The difference in your paycheck between the #1 highest income tax state and, say, #5 may be negligible (or wild) depending on which bracket you're in.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:07 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,062,938 times
[quote=JayCT;41293560]
What I did find a bit questionable is their planning to cut their Sports Center broadcast./QUOTE]

Sports Center can't die fast enough. It's just a showplace for athletes to exhibit bad behavior.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:32 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,167,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Has anyone used one of these calculators to see what the difference in their pay would actually be between states? ADP Paycheck Calculator

The difference in your paycheck between the #1 highest income tax state and, say, #5 may be negligible (or wild) depending on which bracket you're in.

Not sure what the point is here, without taking into account the geography of income. Nep was "poor" in FFC with $ 90k salary (and with chef cafeteria to boot), while he is the richest man in OH with $ 60k, although now he dines in Fast-Food row.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:59 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,072,327 times
[quote=HeadedWest;41301120]
Quote:
What I did find a bit questionable is their planning to cut their Sports Center broadcast./QUOTE]

Sports Center can't die fast enough. It's just a showplace for athletes to exhibit bad behavior.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I watch SC at least once a day. It is a great round up of everything sports and sports related in a well produced, entertaining broadcast.

Should we abandon sports entirely because some athletes are *******s?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Not sure what the point is here, without taking into account the geography of income. Nep was "poor" in FFC with $ 90k salary (and with chef cafeteria to boot), while he is the richest man in OH with $ 60k, although now he dines in Fast-Food row.
No, nep321 thought he was poor with a $90k salary in Fairfield County. According to his posts however he was able to save $65,000 in just 2 years. You can't do that if you are poor. He could have bought a modest home or condo here in Connecticut but he put ridiculous limits on what the home could be (newer, no-work needed, nicer town, near his office, etc.) and where it could be located. Note that he has been complaining already over on the Columbus forum that he can't afford as nice of a home as he thought he could out there. That is all mute now anyway since he has lost his new job already. Seems his performance was not what was expected (taking time off without notice to supervisor, adjusting work hours, coming in late, etc.). You can find out more if interested over on the Work and Employment forum. He is fine but now re-evaluating what he is going to do. He may go back to school to change majors since he now hates accounting. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut