Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:06 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

If GE leaves that seems would be a huge hit for the state, right?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:46 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
If GE leaves that seems would be a huge hit for the state, right?
Huge economic impact, of course.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:19 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They are complaining because a $15 min would mean parallel increases for those making more than minimum wage already.

Especially since they are offering Health Insurance and a 401K employer match, which increasingly even larger corps are nixing.

I'm sorry Ct did not maintain a good business climate for them, or most (non Defense related) competitive marketplace manufacturing.

That is the fault of the pols, and Malloy has made it worse, as has the Looney guy! (appropriately named)
I'm sorry but GE of today is not the GE of yesterday. I have a friend that works there in a salaried position. He told me that GE's healthcare plan is structured to force the majority of their employees onto their spouse's plan. It looks at income of both the employee and their spouse and if their income is above a certain amount the employee ends up paying the majority of the cost of the plan. My friend said that essentially only low level, mostly single, workers have GE insurance. So GE pushes their burden onto another, most likely smaller, employer. I'm sure this plan was related to Imelt's close relationship with the current administration and a creative way to exempt themselves from the burdens of the ACA.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I'm sorry but GE of today is not the GE of yesterday. I have a friend that works there in a salaried position. He told me that GE's healthcare plan is structured to force the majority of their employees onto their spouse's plan. It looks at income of both the employee and their spouse and if their income is above a certain amount the employee ends up paying the majority of the cost of the plan. My friend said that essentially only low level, mostly single, workers have GE insurance. So GE pushes their burden onto another, most likely smaller, employer. I'm sure this plan was related to Imelt's close relationship with the current administration and a creative way to exempt themselves from the burdens of the ACA.
If single employees like their plan, there is nothing wrong with it. Many corps structure their plans that way, so they do not get dumped on carrying spouses who have access to plans at their employers.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:50 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Oh huh

Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
I disagree. Lets be realistic here. Of course it would not be good but GE is hardly the only game in town. The Bridgeport-Stamford- Norwalk area has more than 400,000 jobs in more than 33,000 businesses. GE's corporate headquarters in Fairfield is what is being questioned and there are only about 800 people working there. That is less than 0.2% of the total jobs in the region. If they were to leave, it would have an impact but certainly not be the end of the world.

If GE went to Westchester, some executives who live in the Stamford area would likely stay where they are. Those living closer to Fairfield and the lower paid support personnel would likely have to move or lose their jobs. If GE left the area completely, everyone would likely have to move. There would be an impact to the local real estate market but I doubt it would be huge given the strength and size of the Fairfield County economy.

The Town of Fairfield would lose their largest taxpayer but the building would still be there generating property taxes. The town though would lose the taxes it receives from business equipment. Fairfield has a sizable tax base so it certainly can absorb the tax lose. Not great but again hardly the end of the world. Jay

Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I read over the weekend that Solar City is opening a new service center in Milford with up to 100 new jobs. Nice addition to the state. They have another center in Rocky Hill. Would link the article but useless Hartford Courant website won't let nonsubscribers read it without buying a subscription. Seriously thinking about canceling my subscription to them. Jay
Here is a readable article about Solar City's new service center. Jay

SolarCity to employ 100 in Milford - Connecticut Post

Old 11-18-2015, 08:55 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
If single employees like their plan, there is nothing wrong with it. Many corps structure their plans that way, so they do not get dumped on carrying spouses who have access to plans at their employers.
Heaven forbid corporations would feel any responsibility towards their employees and their families.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:59 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I disagree. Lets be realistic here. Of course it would not be good but GE is hardly the only game in town. The Bridgeport-Stamford- Norwalk area has more than 400,000 jobs in more than 33,000 businesses. GE's corporate headquarters in Fairfield is what is being questioned and there are only about 800 people working there. That is less than 0.2% of the total jobs in the region. If they were to leave, it would have an impact but certainly not be the end of the world.

If GE went to Westchester, some executives who live in the Stamford area would likely stay where they are. Those living closer to Fairfield and the lower paid support personnel would likely have to move or lose their jobs. If GE left the area completely, everyone would likely have to move. There would be an impact to the local real estate market but I doubt it would be huge given the strength and size of the Fairfield County economy.

The Town of Fairfield would lose their largest taxpayer but the building would still be there generating property taxes. The town though would lose the taxes it receives from business equipment. Fairfield has a sizable tax base so it certainly can absorb the tax lose. Not great but again hardly the end of the world. Jay
and there is never anywhere remotely close to 800 people in that building on a daily basis.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Seven Connecticut companies made Deloitte's Technology Fast 500. It is a ranking of the 500 fastest growing technology, media, telecommunications, life sciences and energy tech companies in North America. Not bad for a small state that has only about 1% of the country's population. Jay

Seven CT businesses among fastest growing tech companies | HartfordBusiness.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut