Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 10:31 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times

Advertisements

Jay:

If economic climate in CT was positive, then people would have more positive comments to make.

Secondly, when someone post a negative opinion, then others attack the critic as if something is wrong with him/her how is that not violating the TOS?

Old 12-12-2015, 12:11 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Jay:

If economic climate in CT was positive, then people would have more positive comments to make.

Secondly, when someone post a negative opinion, then others attack the critic as if something is wrong with him/her how is that not violating the TOS?
Sorry but naysayers are never satisfied. They will find the bad in anything. Connecticut's unemployment rate is low, our income is high, we have a high quality of living, have or are near a lot of things to do, we offer great education opportunities and cultural activities, excellent health care and have some of the healthiest and most "beautiful" people in the country. Yes, we do have high taxes, a cold climate, no big cities, strict gun laws and issues with our state budget. But weighing the good and bad, IMHO, this state is a LOT better than most.

Also from what I read on this forum no one is attacking them, they are respectfully disagreeing with them and explaining why. That is not an attack. I will say this again, if there is a post you feel is against the rules, please report it using the Report Post icon in the upper right corner of the post. If it is against the rules the post will be deleted or modified and the poster dealt with appropriately.

Now we are getting off topic to this thread. Please return to the topic of the OP which is the economic climate in our state. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-12-2015, 12:41 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry but naysayers are never satisfied. They will find the bad in anything. Connecticut's unemployment rate is low, our income is high, we have a high quality of living, have or are near a lot of things to do, we offer great education opportunities and cultural activities, excellent health care and have some of the healthiest and most "beautiful" people in the country. Yes, we do have high taxes, a cold climate, no big cities, strict gun laws and issues with our state budget. But weighing the good and bad, IMHO, this state is a LOT better than most.
Agree with all of this Jay, which is why CT is the state I have now lived the longest in my entire life. However one thing that's (tellingly) missing in your list of positives is job growth, especially in the white collar sectors that are harbingers of the future economy (e.g. biotech, energy, advanced mfg, etc.). In fact, we're going in the opposite direction, considering the reductions from Pfizer, UTC, GE Capital and keeping in mind we have yet to see the full effect of "synergies" on the insurance side (Cigna/Anthem, Aetna/Humana). Cost of living isn't the reason, as Massachusetts seems to have figured out a formula for jobs growth in the new economy.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:07 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I really can't say income is high ha. Like I keep saying unless your in insurance field, a lawyer, a doctor, a P.A., some nurse's (a shrinking field due to the budget cuts), a goverment job (Again shrinking due to budget cuts), or work in a goverment contract business or company like GE (Again leaving CT due to multiple reason's)...you basically then work in a job making $60K or less a year. To survive in CT outside of the cities need to average $75-$80K for 2 adult's and an additional $15-$20K for every child in the household.

CT is on a rise of White Collar Job's, an area for the wealthy to buy home's, a rise of the new Blue Collar job's, and a struggling middle class that can meet the needs to live in CT.

Additionally, with cuts on the federal level many seniors struggle in the state regarding healthcare and the high cost of healthcare has a gross effect on their living expenses. Many can't afford to live in CT or rely on their children who are struggling in CT.

An infrastructure in dire need of repair began having life breathed into only to be put on hault till the budget issue's are resolved.

A mix of bad, decent, good, and very good school's in CT.

A heakth system in crisis due to the state budget, federal cuts, and New health insurance law's/regulation.

Winter is usually short, but harsh.

Last edited by RunD1987; 12-12-2015 at 06:23 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 09:20 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Jay:

Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agree with all of this Jay, which is why CT is the state I have now lived the longest in my entire life. However one thing that's (tellingly) missing in your list of positives is job growth, especially in the white collar sectors that are harbingers of the future economy (e.g. biotech, energy, advanced mfg, etc.). In fact, we're going in the opposite direction, considering the reductions from Pfizer, UTC, GE Capital and keeping in mind we have yet to see the full effect of "synergies" on the insurance side (Cigna/Anthem, Aetna/Humana). Cost of living isn't the reason, as Massachusetts seems to have figured out a formula for jobs growth in the new economy.
Massachusetts does not have Malloy, or a state workforce cost which under his "leadership" had its payroll costs rise 4x the rate of inflation.

DM had a great shot at changing that, when he laid off 6,000 who rejected his "so called last offer", but the union won a game of blink vs a capitulating governor. He never should have rescinded ALL layoffs, as by doing so, the union paid NO PRICE for rejecting the "so called LAST offer". They showed him they are HIS boss.

Perhaps the next governor will have sorely needed courage to tackle that problem. This one failed miserably.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:38 PM

If GE wishes to announce q4, this should be the week to do so. I would doubt they would wish to do it in the 2 holiday filled weeks after this, as it will most likely be a well attended press conference, and CNBC will cover it well, for sure.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:59 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Massachusetts does not have Malloy, or a state workforce cost which under his "leadership" had its payroll costs rise 4x the rate of inflation.

DM had a great shot at changing that, when he laid off 6,000 who rejected his "so called last offer", but the union won a game of blink vs a capitulating governor. He never should have rescinded ALL layoffs, as by doing so, the union paid NO PRICE for rejecting the "so called LAST offer". They showed him they are HIS boss.

Perhaps the next governor will have sorely needed courage to tackle that problem. This one failed miserably.
CT has had decades of bad governance. I think the best recent governor we had was Ella Grasso IMO, which was back in the early 80's. Though you can't necessarily blame Malloy...blame the voters who didn't do their research. Voting has turned into an act of selfishness where people choose who they're voting for by thinking about "how will he/she will help me" rather than it being "who should we vote for that will better society". Foley proposed cuts that would have lost jobs and people in those positions voted for Malloy instead. Also (not a lot of evidence to support this...just IMO) but, most welfare recipents voted Malloy because they were afraid that Foley was going to take it away from them.

It would be in CT's best interest to understand the cost benefit analysis concept...

Old 12-12-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
CT has had decades of bad governance. I think the best recent governor we had was Ella Grasso IMO, which was back in the early 80's. Though you can't necessarily blame Malloy...blame the voters who didn't do their research. Voting has turned into an act of selfishness where people choose who their voting for by thinking "how will he/she will help me" rather than it being "who should we vote for that will better society". Foley proposed cuts that would have lost jobs and people in those positions voted for Malloy instead. Also (not a lot of evidence to support this...just IMO) but, most welfare recipents voted Malloy because they were afraid that Foley was going to take it away from them.
The old adage of democracy fails when people realize they can use their vote to "buy" what they want is sadly, true. What is needed , and sorely lacking all over, are pols who act for the good of the state, even when it means getting voted out for imposing much needed , but harsh, medicine.

I do agree Grasso was the best in my lifetime in Ct. Tough as nails. No nonsense, and not a knee jerk "lets raise taxes to cover our inefficiency" type.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:08 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The old adage of democracy fails when people realize they can use their vote to "buy" what they want is sadly, true. What is needed , and sorely lacking all over, are pols who act for the good of the state, even when it means getting voted out for imposing much needed , but harsh, medicine.

I do agree Grasso was the best in my lifetime in Ct. Tough as nails. No nonsense, and not a knee jerk "lets raise taxes to cover our inefficiency" type.
It was unfortunate she had to resign due to cancer. Grasso had many high points in her career. One of them was the Blizzard of 1978 where she closed the whole state by proclamation. I remember I was a junior in high school when that storm hit. I believe this was the same year the Civic Centers roof collapsed. Grasso was at the Civic Center reopening ceremony in 1980. I think this was one of the last huge events she was apart of before she resigned. I do remember her being an extreme penny picker. You're right about the raise taxes comment because she made significant budget cuts by reducing the amount of state employees and welfare recipients. Sure, she faced criticism but CT's economy grew and she was reelected to a 2nd term with no challenge at all. I don't think you're going to find many politicians like her anymore. The Ella Grasso Boulevard in New Haven is probably the last road/turnpike to be named after a governor. Let us pray we don't have a Dan Malloy Turnpike in the near future. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut