Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 10:43 AM

505 posts, read 428,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I just moved out of LA a few weeks ago...grew up there and was about to move to FFC to save money (yes, believe it) until a change in employment situation. If you're just talking about the coastal areas in LA (Malibu, Santa Monica, Marina del Rey, Manhattan Beach) it is much more expensive to buy than in FFC generally - I didn't look at rent prices. If you wanted to be along the coast in FFC you could go Stamford, Norwalk or Fairfield and get a very nice 3b2ba for like $600k. There are very few places in the entirety of LA proper, not including some pockets of the valley, where you could get a SFH at that price except for the projects.

On rent... not sure where you were looking but anywhere even just outside of the valley it really spikes. For example the apartment I left in Burbank was a 2b2ba renting for $3200 as of this year but a 2b2ba within the same property management company in Stamford or Mamaroneck was going for like $2500.

If you grew up in LA, what attracted you to Fairfield County, aside from the cost?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
If you grew up in LA, what attracted you to Fairfield County, aside from the cost?
NYC and Boston

Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Spot on. Malibu, Santa Monica, etc are much more expensive than FFC. I just saw an 880 sft home with 2 bedrooms/2 bath in Santa Monica listed for $1.149m. At $1,368/per sft, that's extraordinary. And taxes are 9k (!). Forget rivaling Greenwich; it pile drives right thru it.
You should look up stats before you make "pile driving" comments. As of today, Greenwich has a median home price of $2.4 million. The average list price as of today is well over $3 million

One thing I can't stress enough is you can't judge the COL of a place by looking at Zillow. Live a year in both places, compare actual costs, then come back and post. There's a LOT more to cost of living than rent/mortgage.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC and Boston
You need to get over the NYC thing, and Boston has nothing to do with FC.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:01 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
Well I was living in Westchester (working in Norwalk then NYC) and really liked the vibe of the nice NYC bedroom communities - very different than where I grew up. FFC is better value - particularly Ridgefield but even places like Stamford or Norwalk. SO and I love the environment there and would love to do the move if/when career allows.

I also was interested in the south in general - and salaries for what I do are similar down there - but my SO is in technology and SF has brought the most "can't walk away" opportunities, with NYC coming second.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Yes I think Ridgefield and West Hills are probably the "bargains" of these areas. You're very right about the bedroom community issue... it's especially scary to buy a home in LA because who knows where your next job could be. Some of my friends bought close to work only to lose their jobs/move on and then have to commute 30-60 miles each way at their new job. I did 30 miles and, while this isn't too far, it was a grueling 1.5 hrs in the car... watching bloody (not in the british sense) accidents each day whoo.

One thing I didn't calculate that could be significant is the hidden cost of buying an older home in CT... with septic issues, snow damage, gardening, etc. so I will admit that. Houses here are generally very easy to maintain.. heck many don't even have a lawn these days.

Of course for all that calculating, I ended up in SF which.. don't even get me started on the costs here.
SF is insane, particularly San Jose. And the weather isn't anything great either!

Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Well I was living in Westchester (working in Norwalk then NYC) and really liked the vibe of the nice NYC bedroom communities - very different than where I grew up. FFC is better value - particularly Ridgefield but even places like Stamford or Norwalk. SO and I love the environment there and would love to do the move if/when career allows.

I also was interested in the south in general - and salaries for what I do are similar down there - but my SO is in technology and SF has brought the most "can't walk away" opportunities, with NYC coming second.
Ridgefield is one of the most well rounded towns in CT and the value for your money is incredible. Did you ever move here?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:09 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You should look up stats before you make "pile driving" comments. As of today, Greenwich has a median home price of $2.4 million. The average list price as of today is well over $3 million

One thing I can't stress enough is you can't judge the COL of a place by looking at Zillow. Live a year in both places, compare actual costs, then come back and post. There's a LOT more to cost of living than rent/mortgage.
You're foolish to think they compare. 880 sft for 1.15m is not anything close to Greenwich pricing. Who cares about the average list price? Sure, there are 2-3m elephants in Greenwich with 6000 sft. Did you see that last part.. 6000 sft.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
You're foolish to think they compare. 880 sft for 1.15m is not anything close to Greenwich pricing. Who cares about the average list price? Sure, there are 2-3m elephants in Greenwich with 6000 sft. Did you see that last part.. 6000 sft.
I'm not sure what the argument is here... Price / sqft really isn't a relevant gauge of COL. It's simply an indicator of value of real estate. Greenwich/Darien/Westport also have $10mil++ homes for sale...

Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Ridgefield is one of the most well rounded towns in CT and the value for your money is incredible. Did you ever move here?
No got a realtor, made an offer, started negotiations, and everything and then SO was laid off. He interviewed for some jobs in NYC but the opportunities in SF were a lot better. Entry level houses here in a decent area (and I consider Stamford much better than decent) outside the city itself start at $800k for 1100 sq ft - cash only of course - so I don't see us here for the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut