Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 06:04 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,653,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
That means nothing, Jay. Most job creation here lies in the service economy which is not good news. People are working harder than ever before, often longer hours, for either the same or less pay. Taxes went up not once, but twice under this state's administration (the second time last year when they squeezed a few extra dollars out of people's paychecks by changing the number of allowances in an effort to grab more tax money from citizens), so people have less of a disposable income. Companies are leaving and so too are the jobs. One of the reasons why real estate has remained stagnant in this state for so long is because nobody feels optimistic about the long-term economic future of this state. And many people who have since been re-hired after being laid off are under-employed -- working part-time for puny pay, with sparse benefits (if any). Property taxes are going up everywhere, but people don't feel their quality of life has improved, and they're right: It hasn't. This is not a doom-and-gloom scenario here, it's the reality of how things are.
Said the truth 10x better than me

Old 04-06-2016, 06:51 PM

33,891 posts, read 16,946,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Stop being so pessimistic. At least they're finally waking up and making an attempt at recruiting. The first step to recovery is recognizing the problem. Step 1 complete.
Number step 1 is to have an attractive pitch. Do not think their execs will not seek counsel from GE.The pitch needs to be Malloy publicly recognizing the error or prior tax increases, and offering them virtually tax free status as a good faith gesture for a decade or more, with capped rates of annual increases thereafter contractually.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:55 PM

33,891 posts, read 16,946,773 times
Quote:
That means nothing, Jay. Most job creation here lies in the service economy which is not good news. People are working harder than ever before, often longer hours, for either the same or less pay. Taxes went up not once, but twice under this state's administration (the second time last year when they squeezed a few extra dollars out of people's paychecks by changing the number of allowances in an effort to grab more tax money from citizens), so people have less of a disposable income. Companies are leaving and so too are the jobs. One of the reasons why real estate has remained stagnant in this state for so long is because nobody feels optimistic about the long-term economic future of this state. And many people who have since been re-hired after being laid off are under-employed -- working part-time for puny pay, with sparse benefits (if any). Property taxes are going up everywhere, but people don't feel their quality of life has improved, and they're right: It hasn't. This is not a doom-and-gloom scenario here, it's the reality of how things are.
True. When I was growing up in Milford BIC was the largest employer (private) offering good wages and benefits. Now the largest employer in Milford in aggregate headcount is the mall. McJobs at McWages vs BIC.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:26 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,168,515 times
Quote:
Here's the problem, this has been happening through the country for the last 30 years at least. Only a few concentrated industries have seen substantial growth. But now you feel it we're all supposed to care? Sorry that dog don't hunt, no honour among thieves.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,708,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Here's the problem, this has been happening through the country for the last 30 years at least. Only a few concentrated industries have seen substantial growth. But now you feel it we're all supposed to care? Sorry that dog don't hunt, no honour among thieves.
I never said that I personally was feeling it, nor am I looking for a shoulder to cry on. I'm saying the reality of the bleak situation in this state can't be ignored. I'm actually doing just fine. I earn a decent salary, I'm living within my means, I'm able to spend AND save my money, and I have a hefty rainy day fund if I ever get laid off. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for most people here. I would argue that what we're going through now is worse than the economic crisis of the early '80s, when unemployment and inflation rates reached double digits and there long lines at the gas station. People just don't feel optimistic the least little bit about the future of this country, and I can't say I really blame them.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 AM

14,039 posts, read 13,865,091 times
CT red ink is possbile 1 billion now They are planning to cut 570 million but leave them in nearly 400 million more to cut. After this one CT is project to be 1.7 billion in red ink about 11 months from now.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,478,900 times
I'm liking what I'm seeing from the governer and legislators. (Never thought I'd say that). They are making some real tough choices and ones that have an impact on me. Taking money away from transportation hurts my company, but I think it needs to be done to help right the ship.

The good...now the bad...

I'm mad at that state because they messed up the property tax credit and now I owe $135! Crap. First no $55, now this?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:17 AM

34,827 posts, read 56,746,570 times
Pleease stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 04-07-2016, 08:30 AM

34,827 posts, read 56,746,570 times
Quote:
This is a problem across the nation, not just here in Connecticut. Even in those big growth states, much of the job growth has been in lower paying service industries. And the strain being out on workers to produce more for less has never been greater, at least not in the past several decades. It is why politicians like Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump are doing so well. Jay

Old 04-07-2016, 08:50 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,300,751 times
This isn't a CT issue but it makes you realize how badly the boomers screwed up this country. 19 billion dollars in debt, crazy college tuition costs, 60 trillion in unfunded social security and Medicare obligations, and having the worst recession in over 75 years. We're leaving this country in such a bad state that the future generation will have to clean it up all because the government racked up debt and lived beyond their means. I'm a boomer myself and it's getting harder for milllenails and future generations to make a living. Don't believe me? Look at the roll call for the senate and the house. Look at the ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut