Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — New federal statistics show economic growth in New England has been slowest in Connecticut and Maine since the end of the recession in 2009.
The Commerce Department released statistics of quarterly gross domestic product — the measure of all goods and services — between 2005 and 2013. From the second quarter of 2009 until the end of 2013, the economies of Connecticut and Maine grew by 3 percent.
In contrast, growth in the region’s largest economy, Massachusetts, was 11 percent. Growth was greatest in Vermont, at 12 percent, though the state’s $27.9 billion economy last year was the smallest in New England.
Economic growth was 9 percent in New Hampshire. Even in Rhode Island, where high unemployment persists, the economy grew by 6 percent.
The U.S. economy expanded by 10 percent.

US: Slow growth seen in Conn., Maine economies | WTNH

Old 08-20-2014, 06:03 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Don't worry Connecticut is historically lagging behind recovery after a recession...like has been said many times before.

It's only been 5 year.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
The fact that CT is in an economic quagmire is due to the usual suspects of high taxes and high spending

There is no doubt or dispute that this is the real cause of what is happening in this state. Companies will leave when taxes and regulations drive them to more competitive locations.

I left CT and look back from time to time and just shake my head in disbelief

Here is an editorial from the hartford courant of a resident trying to rationalize these failed policies

Why I Stay In Connecticut - Courant.com

Its time that people stop making excuses and just fess up to reality and make a rational change. Unfortunately partisans will never agree to one cent of spending cuts

CT will continue to decline until something is done

I told you so

Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 AM

Found an article with a bit more facts. The below is a quote from the piece. Insurance and financial services/industry are arguably the two biggest sectors in Connecticut.

"Connecticut's finance industry, which is significant in the state because of its proximity to New York's financial center, contracted since the end of the recession. The size of the finance and insurance sector shrank 11 percent, from $36.2 million in mid-2009 to $32.3 million last year." (Data: Connecticut, Maine have slow economic growth | Boston Herald)

Connecticut has lost financial jobs and insurance jobs since the end of the recession which is a NET LOSS recovery in the biggest sectors. If things keep going this way, Des Monies, IA will become the new leader in the insurance game. (http://archive.desmoinesregister.com...s-gap-Hartford)

CT is healing little by little.

On a side note, which interest me more than finance is CT is leading a lot of States in the growth of Farming! I am actually really excited to hear this. To me, farming brings communities togther which will change attitudes which could change CT for the better. Heavily optimistic but hey, I do enjoy farming.

Let It Grow: Connecticut Leads Farm Growth In New England - Hartford Courant

Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Ok great. Here we are now, full-circle, turning agrarian again.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I found this article about the 10 worst states to find full-time employment. Interestingly, Connecticut is not on the list. The No. 1 state is Nevada which has a high number of "under-employed" which means jobs that are not full-time. other states on the list include Rhode Island, California, Oregon, Florida and Kentucky. Jay

States Where It's Hardest to Find Full-Time Work Include Nevada, California - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM

Connecticut, specifically FFC, makes a GOOD list as ranked 12th best urban area for young professionals beating Boston & NYC. I know this list is by Forbes, but really? FFC beating NYC & Boston two of the biggest most influential Cities in the world.
Fairfield County Makes Top 15 As Hot Spot For Young Professionals - Courant.com

Bringing it full circle, stated in my previous post No.1 on this list is Des Monies, IA. Hartford better watch out.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Connecticut, specifically FFC, makes a GOOD list as ranked 12th best urban area for young professionals beating Boston & NYC. I know this list is by Forbes, but really? FFC beating NYC & Boston two of the biggest most influential Cities in the world.
Fairfield County Makes Top 15 As Hot Spot For Young Professionals - Courant.com

Bringing it full circle, stated in my previous post No.1 on this list is Des Monies, IA. Hartford better watch out.

Stamford/Norwalk*

Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Ok great. Here we are now, full-circle, turning agrarian again.
I don't see that as a negative. It's a positive. CT was historically a large farming community. I think there is a large movement in the United States to support local growers and know where the food is coming from. If played correctly, this could be something CT could use.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:30 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I don't see that as a negative. It's a positive. CT was historically a large farming community. I think there is a large movement in the United States to support local growers and know where the food is coming from. If played correctly, this could be something CT could use.
I know it sounds romantic but something does not jive -- CT has a highly educated workforce, while it expands farming, which probably requires the lowest educated workforce.

We should be expanding brainy jobs, like Banking & finance, commerce, trading, high-tech, insurance of course, telecom, transportation, media. Farming is nice, but we're passed that phase two centuries ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut