Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 09:57 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Dems had a veto proof majority for the bulk of her term. Kinda hard to do much with that.
I guess there's always an excuse.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I guess there's always an excuse.
Not an excuse, just a fact.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:45 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I read her comments and find her to be a complete hypocrite. It was not that long ago she was Governor and a lot of today's issues are a direct result of her terms as Governor. I liked her but she was basically a do-nothing Governor. She continued the same policies as Rowland which basically meant that she kicked the can down the road for future administrations to deal with. Well Governor Rell, we are finally dealing with those problems, like it or not. Had you done something during your administration, we might be better off. Jay
What I really annoys me is when people complain about CT Govt or some other Govt but never provide specific examples and potential solutions. As a former Governor she should know better. It would have been better for her to say nothing.

"The last Republican to win a statewide election, Rell cited a combination of reasons for her Florida move, from her late husband Lou Rell’s love of their vacation home to “the direction” of Connecticut.
“It is in a downward spiral,” Rell told Hearst Connecticut Media from Florida. She said taxes weren’t a big factor for her, but that Connecticut is becoming inhospitable, especially for businesses."

"It's tough,” Rell said. “There's no predictability. There's no stability. What’s next?”
Rell said she knew of a host of Connecticut snowbirds who have decided to make Florida their home.
“I think that’s a sad commentary on Connecticut,” she said."

At least she isn't complaining that she has a tough time affording property taxes on two houses in two states I guess.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
What I really annoys me is when people complain about CT Govt or some other Govt but never provide specific examples and potential solutions. As a former Governor she should know better. It would have been better for her to say nothing.

"The last Republican to win a statewide election, Rell cited a combination of reasons for her Florida move, from her late husband Lou Rell’s love of their vacation home to “the direction” of Connecticut.
“It is in a downward spiral,” Rell told Hearst Connecticut Media from Florida. She said taxes weren’t a big factor for her, but that Connecticut is becoming inhospitable, especially for businesses."

"It's tough,” Rell said. “There's no predictability. There's no stability. What’s next?”
Rell said she knew of a host of Connecticut snowbirds who have decided to make Florida their home.
“I think that’s a sad commentary on Connecticut,” she said."

At least she isn't complaining that she has a tough time affording property taxes on two houses in two states I guess.
She's not wrong on any of her points. I do think its somewhat bad form for her to move down to Florida, and she's been deservedly criticized. But its a free country and she can do what she wants.

In terms of solutions, we all know that state employee comp/benefits/pensions need to be overhauled. Its just a matter of having the political will to do it. The fact that the Dems rejected a proposal to have all labor contracts approved by the legislature tells me that we aren't there yet.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:21 AM

413 posts, read 317,131 times
This budget is a band aid meant to get the Dems re-elected next year. As soon as they are re-elected --which the brain dead voters will do-- they will push through a huge increase in spending and taxes.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:59 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times
Quote:
I read her comments and find her to be a complete hypocrite. It was not that long ago she was Governor and a lot of today's issues are a direct result of her terms as Governor. I liked her but she was basically a do-nothing Governor. She continued the same policies as Rowland which basically meant that she kicked the can down the road for future administrations to deal with. Well Governor Rell, we are finally dealing with those problems, like it or not. Had you done something during your administration, we might be better off. Jay
Baloney

She was a Republican that tried to reduce taxes and spending but could not accomplish that goal.

Now she is putting her money where her mouth is just like GE and the scores of other companies that have moved out. It isn't in their economic interest to stay in a state with high taxes and brain dead liberals.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:14 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Baloney

She was a Republican that tried to reduce taxes and spending but could not accomplish that goal.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:16 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Baloney

Now she is putting her money where her mouth is just like GE and the scores of other companies that have moved out. It isn't in their economic interest to stay in a state with high taxes and brain dead liberals.
Massachusetts isn't any better in regards to high taxes and brain dead liberals. The thing with Massachusetts is that a Republican governor and Democratic Boston mayor worked hard and worked together to get GE into Boston. I can't think of anyone that Malloy rooted for that was a Republican. Malloy only endorses and puts his focus on people within his own party. The senate and house in Hartford don't unify both parties and they constantly blaim the issues on the other party rather than take responsibility like adults. GE left because of the changing market to bio-tech which CT lacks.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:27 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Baloney

It is definitely not baloney. She did nothing to address the pension problem the state is facing or the long term budget issues. That problem did not just pop up after Malloy took office. Sorry but the state's budget problems have been in the making for a long time and there is more than enough blame to go around. And a hypocrite is a hypocrite and she is definitely one based on her comments. Jay

Old 05-14-2016, 02:35 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
It is definitely not baloney. She did nothing to address the pension problem the state is facing or the long term budget issues. That problem did not just pop up after Malloy took office. Sorry but the state's budget problems have been in the making for a long time and there is more than enough blame to go around. And a hypocrite is a hypocrite and she is definitely one based on her comments. Jay

I would agree, but governor cannot unilaterally change state employee benefits and I am all for ending pensions for Ct employees under say 50 (capped at present levels) and going to a 401k. NJ and
all other underfunded pension states should, too.

But it will take the population to push with the pols to enact that change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut