Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times

Advertisements

'Tis the cycle of life.... people go where they can make the most money. When that guy was making his millions, that place was CT apparently. Now that place is elsewhere (for keeping, not making, millions). Of course it's a shame for any state to lose its wealthy and productive citizens but at least CT was getting their taxes at the peak of their careers. This guy gave and he got. Now he's moving on. I don't see the tragedy in this situation.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:41 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
All this coming from a guy who's salary was approx $5.2 million in 2014. .

Good for him.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:20 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
'Tis the cycle of life.... people go where they can make the most money. When that guy was making his millions, that place was CT apparently. Now that place is elsewhere (for keeping, not making, millions). Of course it's a shame for any state to lose its wealthy and productive citizens but at least CT was getting their taxes at the peak of their careers. This guy gave and he got. Now he's moving on. I don't see the tragedy in this situation.
One alone sure is not a problem, but many becomes a trend.

As much some hate the rich, they do pay the most taxes. When they leave, same burden needs to be carried by those remaining. Or cuts in services need to occur. Usually both.

That's exactly where CT Budget is right now.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
One alone sure is not a problem, but many becomes a trend.

As much some hate the rich, they do pay the most taxes. When they leave, same burden needs to be carried by those remaining. Or cuts in services need to occur. Usually both.

That's exactly where CT Budget is right now.
Sure, I think it is unfortunate to see the wealth go but my point was that you can't really blame these people. Some opinions here seem to be that wealthy people owe CT something and it's greedy that they leave. That's not true, and it's okay for people to seek better places for their situation as it changes throughout their lives.

Now, if CT can turn the ship around so that people feel like they can stay forever... then great! Though even if the budget were in great shape, wealthy retirees are still going to be chasing the weather and the low taxes in the south - which I don't think CT, or any northern state, is ever going to match. For seniors, I don't see the outmigration trend reversing anytime soon. I have hope for young families though.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Sure, I think it is unfortunate to see the wealth go but my point was that you can't really blame these people. Some opinions here seem to be that wealthy people owe CT something and it's greedy that they leave. That's not true, and it's okay for people to seek better places for their situation as it changes throughout their lives.

Now, if CT can turn the ship around so that people feel like they can stay forever... then great! Though even if the budget were in great shape, wealthy retirees are still going to be chasing the weather and the low taxes in the south - which I don't think CT, or any northern state, is ever going to match. For seniors, I don't see the outmigration trend reversing anytime soon. I have hope for young families though.
Outmigration is mainly economic. For example, many retirees have left the beautiful Southern California climate and moved into Northern Idaho, which is colder than most CT towns, spare Norfolk or Goshen.

Weather hasn't been enough for my in-laws to move out of CT, but are seriously considering, due to the need to preserve capital.

It's a shame because retirees, as a group, are "financial surpluses", or "givers." They also volunteer their knowledge in schools, libraries, business start-ups, etc.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:

Amen. Ct and NJ share that problem, and must resolve it, by creating a cost climate where they wish to stay, instead of chastising them for making the rational decisions they often do to flee.

It is the same mindset that wishes corps were still hostages.

To think holding hostages is the sole way to retain wealthy people or corps is defeatist, and reinforces the belief that even those posters think a region has little to offer.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:14 AM

413 posts, read 317,503 times
You can blame the individuals acting in their own best interest or you can blame the politicians for driving people out of the state.

But the real fault lies with the voters.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:38 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Quote:
It won't let me rep you, but you are correct. Its disingenuous at best to support raising taxes and then complain that people are leaving because the taxes are too high.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 AM

505 posts, read 428,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
You can blame the individuals acting in their own best interest or you can blame the politicians for driving people out of the state.

But the real fault lies with the voters.
That's because a large percentage of the voters are deriving financial benefit from having politicians who support a welfare state.

They vote people in who will provide them what they want and are unable/unwilling to cut this aside.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 AM

505 posts, read 428,530 times
Quote:

Even if you do blame them it doesn't matter. Most are not going to be dissuaded or guilted from leaving by any kind of appeals because they had little or no say to the policies that were enacted.

They will go and leave behind deficits that cannot be easily made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut